REVIEW: Decware Select Zen CSP2 Tube Headphone Amp
Sep 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #601 of 654
^ Yep, I ordered a pair of the GZ32 the other night. Glad to hear of your success with the Phillips.

Backstory: Over the weekend I chucked a Sylvania 5U4G (barely passable in Nick's review) into my Taboo and couldn't believe how dark (and hence 'full-toned') it sounded. I previously thought rectifiers are very subtle. Live and learn.

The 5U4G is much more successful in the CSP2! Given Nick found it nothing special, this is promising for other tubes he recommended as well as the Lorenz.

Sep 15, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #602 of 654
^ Yep, I ordered a pair of the GZ32 the other night. Glad to hear of your success with the Phillips.

Backstory: Over the weekend I chucked a Sylvania 5U4G (barely passable in Nick's review) into my Taboo and couldn't believe how dark (and hence 'full-toned') it sounded. I previously thought rectifiers are very subtle. Live and learn.

The 5U4G is much more successful in the CSP2! Given Nick found it nothing special, this is promising for other tubes he recommended as well as the Lorenz.

You're right! Rectifiers can influence the sound a lot more than you'd expect (depending upon the circuit, of course). Decware CSP lets everything right through. But you can go cheap on the two drivers. The default 6N1P's are fine... doesn't change the sound much. Tried some megabuck tubes & went back to the 6N1P's. 

I wish I had tried the Lorenz and Mullard rectifiers so they could have been included in that review. Alas, I am now headphone and amp-less. Gimme a few years and I'm sure I'll be back into it again.

Also: Rectifier-Rolling-Roundup review updated. Writing is much less crappy now. :D

Sep 15, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #603 of 654
Sorry to hear you're hp and amp-less Nick. As you say, you'll get back into it for sure. There's always other demands we have to balance in life. Everything in its time.

And thanks again for the review - it is one of the best resources we Decware followers have :beerchug:

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #604 of 654
Hey the Lorenz is sold out !!! 

That same seller has TELEFUNKEN GZ32....
anyone game for more teutonic juice for his decware? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telefunken-GZ32-5V4G-CV593-NOS-late-60ies-super-rare-German-Navy-tubes-/201050887773?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2ecf91165d

Anyone tried this b4? 

=================================

I recently demo-ed the latest version of Audirvana music software..2.0
overall clarity, airiness, n realism out of my MacAir went up by 2notches.:p
http://audirvana.com/

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #606 of 654
  Lorenz sounds lush / transparent in my taboo II.

That sounds great...i bought a spare to keep actually, maybe one day i will snag a tabooII.
...have u tried a D7k on the TabooII...hows the bass control? 

===================
By the way, is a 25U4g similar to/replaceable with a 5U4g ?? anyone?

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #607 of 654

That sounds great...i bought a spare to keep actually, maybe one day i will snag a tabooII.
...have u tried a D7k on the TabooII...hows the bass control? 

===================

This is with the LCD-3.  The bass is surprisingly controlled considering the "lushness."  I am pleased to have it and your post reminded me that I bought it!  It's also no slouch with the HD800 which people don't recommend with the taboo...  I am using a jolida glass fx tube dac/preamp with nos mullards though.  Highly recommended.

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #608 of 654
The CSP2+ is surprisingly good with high impedence cans...
i am hooking it as a preamp to an inexpensive Darkvoice336se n having a great ball of a time really...
there is a synergy betw these 2..the soundstage is deeper, thicker..dense with details.
(but if i switch it around, trying the DV as a pre..the sound kinda collapsed..anemic ..i dun know the science to it..blush )

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #609 of 654
  The CSP2+ is surprisingly good with high impedence cans...
i am hooking it as a preamp to an inexpensive Darkvoice336se n having a great ball of a time really...
there is a synergy betw these 2..the soundstage is deeper, thicker..dense with details.
(but if i switch it around, trying the DV as a pre..the sound kinda collapsed..anemic ..i dun know the science to it..blush )

I haven't used my jolida as a pre just as a dac here with this combination - I'll try it later.

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #611 of 654
  quite silly but just wonder could we replace the 6n1p with 6sn7 tube+adapter

crossed my mind too...i have a small stash of 6sn7s too.. hmmm..where are the electrical experts..hate to burn an Xpensive amp :p 

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #612 of 654
In a word : no.

6SN7 draws about twice the heater current, and has about 1/3 the transconductance, among other things.

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #613 of 654
In a word : no.

6SN7 draws about twice the heater current, and has about 1/3 the transconductance, among other things.

thank u sir...and how about this ....

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #614 of 654
thank u sir...and how about this ....

Good lord no!!! The first number is the voltage of the tube. So 25U4G is a 25 volt rectifier, as opposed to the 5 Volt 5U4G.

Careful with that axe, Eugene...

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #615 of 654
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/BRIMAR-25U4GT-RECTIFIER-VALVE-TUBE-NOS-/150943034365?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item2324e7ebfd&_uhb=1

tot it is just a harmless number ."2"...LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back