[REVIEW] Creative Aurvana In-Ear2
Aug 16, 2010 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Once upon a time when you mentioned ‘premium audio’ in the computer world, the name ‘Creative’ is what you would be referring to. Nowadays the name seems to get somewhat replaced by Apple.  To be fair, I do believe Creative still has the ‘tech’ in hardware to be an important character in the computer-related audio business (especially since computer audio is slowly eating away the share of transitional audio hardware, i.e. CD player). But on the software side (more referring to brain power, R&D, marketing, software design), Creative has been quite lacking compared its biggest DAP rival Apple. It proves that you don’t need to have the best hardware around to be successful; just some good and fresh ideas are enough to get your business flying straight to the moon. However, once in a while Creative does surprise us with some really good products. This time, it is the Aurvana In-Ear2.

IE2-01.jpg

IE2-02.jpg

The Aurvana brand is Creative’s attempt to penetrate the audiophile headphone market. The first product under the Aurvana brand is the original In-Ear, which has been largely overshadowed by other big brands. The new In-Ear2 is not intended to replace the original In-Ear, but more of a better model that is offered alongside. The original MSRP of In-Ear2 is actually around US$110, which is much less attractive for a single balanced armature based IEM. But as the model being released internationally, the price has been dropped globally to US$100 (and even slightly lower if you pick one up in Singapore, Creative’s homeland). The decision to keeping the In-Ear2 within the $100 price range is smart but still seems a tough sell when other single balanced armature IEM such as the Sherwood SE-777, Fischer Audio SBA-01, and SoundMAGIC PL-50 are all well below $100. So, does In-Ear2 deliver?

IE2-03.jpg

[size=large]Spec[/size]
Frequency Response: 15Hz-16kHz
Impedance: 42ohms
Sensitivity (1kHz): 110dB/mW
Cord Length: 1.2m Oxygen-Free Copper cable
Input Plug: 3.5mm stereo gold-plated miniplug
Net Weight: 11g (without packaging)

IE2-04.jpg

[size=large]Packaging, Accessories and Build Quality[/size]
Packaging is decent. It is typical paper box with windows on the front and back showcasing both the earpieces and the hard case.  Other accessories include the cleaning loop/pick, airplane adapter, and six pairs of silicone eartips (S, M, L, two pairs each). The nozzle dimension is also identical to Shure, so the common Shure’s eartips (includes the black foam, a.k.a. olive) as well as Comply T100 should fit In-Ear2 fairly well. The included hard case is very well made, definitely one of the best I have ever seen in the sub$100 price range. Some very well written manuals are also included in the package - this is often a good indication for good build quality since it means the company actually does invest time in getting the detail of their products right.

IE2-05.jpg

IE2-06.jpg

Build quality of the In-Ear2 is very decent. Most of the IEM are made out of metal (except for the cable and strain relief of course).  The back of the earpieces looks to be vented and I can almost make out the back of the balanced armature driver inside. This is a very interesting feature since almost all the BA based IEM I know have either semi-closed (with very small vent) or fully-closed back. In-Ear2 is perhaps the first open-back design I ever see in a BA based IEM. This design seems to give In-Ear2 a unique sound quality, but we will leave this discussion for later on. Microphonics is pretty low which makes it unnecessary to wear the cable over-the-ear (even though you can). Isolation is just a little under average though it should be enough for daily commute in the city. Overall I don’t have any complaint for In-Ear2 – it is well made and packed with very decent accessories, though it is how you would expect from a relatively pricier IEM.

[size=large]Sound Quality[/size]
Having recalled the type of sound signature of the original Creative In-Ear, the feeling of what In-Ear2 brings to me seems to be largely the same. It is a kind of noninvasive, fatigue-free, warm and smooth mid-driven sound signature that is well known among Shure’s IEM. Creative, at least for its Aurvana IEM model, is going after the same kind of house sound. It is not that type of sound that will “wow” a person in the first listening. However, it is a sound that will grow on a person and reveal the hidden strength if given enough time. On a side note, the In-Ear2 has an odd impedance of 42ohm. While it is not very difficult to drive, it does require a little more volume from most DAP than average IEM

IE2-07.jpg

[size=x-small]The intriguing [/size][size=x-small]open-back design[/size]

The overall sound signature is warm and smooth with a relatively full body mid. The listed frequency response is surprisingly accurate. Treble does extend fairly well but micro detail tends to get overshadowed by the warmness and takes a backseat in the overall presentation. Mid is full and dominant with good texture, which is particularly good for vocal. Bass is decent, not quantitatively large but in good amount, depth, and impact while not being too fast – a little more dynamic transducer like instead of balanced armature like. Soundstage is typical not a strong point for IEM with a fuller mid, In-Ear2 however performs better than expected. While there still isn’t enough air (because of the lack in micro detail from treble), the IEM is able to show a good sense of depth as the warmness doesn’t seem to mud up the overall resolution – perhaps this is the benefit of having an open-back design.

IE2-08.jpg

[size=large]Verdict[/size]
While the pricing isn’t the most competitive, the overall sound and build quality of In-Ear2 are not lacking. It will serve as a fairly good option for anyone looking for a classic Shure’s house sound around the US$100 price range. Please refer to the list for a complete list of numeric rating.

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
those are pretty little things arent they, nice review

+1 almost good enough to buy for the looks alone. Very sleek. Is the cable icky and plasticky like old Shure cords or is it at least a bit rubberized?

Oh and thanks for the review
smile_phones.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 15
It is a little like the old Shure cable as it is more plasticky than normal black cable of this type, though nowhere near as thick or stiff. It is good in way that it is very much memory-less so it doesn't tangle much

Aug 16, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
that case would look better without the bit in the middle, why do companys feel the need to make crappy over designed cases???

if i had a set of these i would remove the bit in the middle of the case , it would be much more practical without it , still its a nice looking  case.

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 15
they look pretty nice, but after i owned an In-Ear1 and had to send it to warranty for a replacement twice in a single year (and it would've been thrice a couple of months later if the warranty was longer than a year.. all 3 times due to driver failure) i don't think i'll buy another Creative IEM any time soon

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
that case would look better without the bit in the middle, why do companys feel the need to make crappy over designed cases???

Forgot to mention: actually the hard plastic 'cup' in the middle of the case is completely (and easily) removable if you decide to do so, but won't fall out by its own. Underneath the cup there is also just enough space to store a pair of extra flange and probably the cleaning pick. It is over design at it best :)

Quote:
they look pretty nice, but after i owned an In-Ear1 and had to send it to warranty for a replacement twice in a single year (and it would've been thrice a couple of months later if the warranty was longer than a year.. all 3 times due to driver failure) i don't think i'll buy another Creative IEM any time soon

I know that the original In-Ear's cable is a little flimsy, perhaps it is the cable and not the driver? My cousin has a set of In-Ear for a few years and the cable is the first to fail.

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Forgot to mention: actually the hard plastic 'cup' in the middle of the case is completely (and easily) removable if you decide to do so, but won't fall out by its own. Underneath the cup there is also just enough space to store a pair of extra flange and probably the cleaning pick. It is over design at it best :)

in that case i say well done Creative

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #12 of 15
own 1 now as a replacement and upgrade to my old ep 660s. can say that it is a lot more detailed that those stock earbuds and have a less impactful bass response than dynamic driver based iems

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #14 of 15
I just got these, loving them so far. Bass is clean and extends well.
Maybe the highs are a little recessed but I'm also not used to wearing IEMs and they are brand new so I have to get use to them before I can comment further.
I love the look as well.

Oh I know it's an old thread but I live in India and its a surprise to come across decent kit without having to order and wait months for it so I got this scraggy looking pack from a shelf half hidden behind fake beats and had to tell you lot about it!

May 15, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #15 of 15
I just got one too and for less than $50 U.S. I think it is great value.

Very easy to drive, I just plug it directly to my Macbook Pro and it sounds great.  Cannot wait to burn it in and try some other earbuds to see if the sound changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back