Jul 2, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #16 of 26
ok, if you feel like trying it on your future DT770/600...lemme know
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm done w/ modding this thing...I think
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I agree with you, and it puzzles me. New AKG vinyl earpads do not sound as good as the slightly flattened and softer older earpads. I bought some used K340 pads, and I prefer them over the brandnew ones, both for comfort and sound on my K270 Playback.

Yeah, I mentioned that, because it was kind of strange and unexpected. It also makes you wonder how a set of headphones is "supposed" to sound, like how the designer intended them to sound. And that's why I think "pad-rolling" is not necessarily going further away from some "holy" reference, like the "original" design, because this reference is obviously something relative to begin with.

Anyway, I'll keep evaluating these pads as I progress through my upgrades, and who knows, I might feel like discarding these leather pads again at some point in the future.
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #18 of 26
Harsh criticism below:

Those are the ugliest earpads I have ever seen, and some of you say they sound horrible, too? No offense to the OP if you have some connection with the company. Great stuff usually comes out of Germany. Let's hope the guy is just colorblind and tonedeaf. I can't see someone inventing those things with working sensory perception. (But it seems he does have a few normal colors on his site.)

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Harsh criticism below:

Those are the ugliest earpads I have ever seen, and some of you say they sound horrible, too? No offense to the OP if you have some connection with the company. Great stuff usually comes out of Germany. Let's hope the guy is just colorblind and tonedeaf. I can't see someone inventing those things with working sensory perception. (But it seems he does have a few normal colors on his site.)

bigsmile_face.gif
Beauty is in the eyes (and ears) of the beholder!

No, I am not connected in any way with the seller. I just remember reading some posts in the past of people looking for some nice colored pads as a gift to the wife, and people looking for some "cooler" pads that don't sweat that much, so I thought I'd make people aware of these. And one has the option of choosing a more "decent" brown or black.

Personally I liked the blue, and chose the orange, because of where I come from. So when us Dutchies go to soccer championship matches with orange T-shirts on, and our face painted orange, at least I'll have some matching headphones to go with it.
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #20 of 26
It's time to update this thread. After another series of upgrades to my audio chain (tube rolling, netfilter, battery-powered laptop in stead of mains PC), one evening I took the time to re-evaluate the pad options on three of my favourite cans that have similar earcups and drivers, the AKG Sextett MP & LP and this Sextett clone, the Philips N6330.

I took a 15 minute set of 4 of my favourite test tracks (classical, acoustic, folk and pop) and played these through these 3 sets on the following pads:
1) strongly flattened AKG pleather pads that came with one of the Sextets
2) slightly flattened but still quite firm pleather pads that came with the Philips
3) brand new AKG pleather pads (all of these with an inner diameter of 59 mm)
4) orange genuine leather pads (50 mm)
5) blue pads of a slightly different production run than the orange (52 mm)

First of all, some words on the topic of comfort. The original pleather pads are indeed softer than the leather ones. But with (1) and even a bit with (2) the ears touch the plastic screen. The pleathers are sweaty, while the leather ones are not. They are literally cool pads. Because the inner diameter of the pleather pads is 59 mm and the leather ones are at least 7 mm smaller, some people (those with relatively big ears
icon10.gif
) might not be able to wear them comfortably. In my own case the blue ones are OK, but the orange ones are on the edge. By the way, apparently the blue, red and brown ones are of the same production, and as we will see later, these are the ones you want. The orange and black ones are newer, slightly smaller and don't sound as good. The big advantage of these leather ones is that they hardly flatten over time. In fact, that was one of the main reasons the seller started to manufacture them, for his own extended studio use.

So, how do they sound? The numbering is actually almost in order of preference.

1) The flat ones are just that: flat. They are warm, but messy, fuzzy and plain unpleasant.
2) In my original post I wrote that I preferred these to brand new ones. Now I'm not so sure anymore. I'd say they are on a par, but they do different things. This one is whole. It present a coherent image with a slightly collapsed sound stage, slightly warm, pleasant on the ear, and quite musical. Invites enjoying the music rather than analyzing it.
3) These brand new ones have the most well-defined sound stage of all options. It is also somewhat more transparent than 2, but a bit sibilant, and kind of cold and dry. It is good for an analysis of individual instruments, but not that strong in musical harmony. I have come to appreciate it however and for some music it sounds better than 2.
4) These orange beauties are actually quite similar to the blue ones. The leather used is a bit thinner and harder (according to the manufacturer) than the blue and as mentioned the inner diameter is 2 mm smaller. Either of these things could be responsible for the difference in sound. Still their signatures are more similar than different, compared to the pleather pads. I will save my final praise for the blue ones. I'll just say that the orange ones have a similar tonal signature, but the sound stage is more constricted, I'd say on a par with 2, and the harmonics don't work that well together. It gives a slightly fragmentary impression. Still, I prefer this one to any of the pleather options. Read on!
5) This one is an almost perfect balancing act. It has a coherent and believable sound stage that is only slightly less defined than (3). Compared to the best aspects of numbers 2 and 3, it has a lot more detail, is much more transparent, is cleaner all over the frequency range, has very natural tonal harmonics that resonate in a way that I can only describe as natural and "live"-like. They are so "sweet" yet clear and really involving. Needless to say these are now my favourites.

I have just now ordered another set, this time red ones, and they are indeed similar to the blues with 52 mm and they sound exactly as good. Because I alternate between my MP and Philips, they now both have the best pads they deserve. I'm happy!
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #22 of 26
I'd really like to get my hands on better quality pads for AKG K240 size headphones and also my K550. I think this may help the K2 series in the comfort cause right now I can barely keep them on my head for more than 20 minutes and they make my ears swet a lot.

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #23 of 26
I find the MrSpeakers Dog pads a rather good match with my K272. They'll fit the K240 as well.

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #24 of 26
These?

https://www.mrspeakers.com/fostex-t50rp-headphone-accessories-comfort-upgrades?product_id=60

Any picture of them on the K240/242/271/272?

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #25 of 26
I tried the JMoney Beyer pads. They fit right, but since your ears are a lot more far to the drivers, it kinda kills the sound. Some slimmer leather pads would be perfect. I need leather, cause pleather and vinyl make my ears swet.

May 1, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:
These?

https://www.mrspeakers.com/fostex-t50rp-headphone-accessories-comfort-upgrades?product_id=60

Any picture of them on the K240/242/271/272?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back