[REVIEW/COMPARISON] ATH-AD900X vs ATH-AD1000X vs MDR-MA900 - It's STILL over 900!!!!
Nov 20, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #316 of 355
Hey guys I can get the ad900x for 120USD do you think i should buy it?
I've heard it has problems with imaging and positioning would it be a problem if I was gaming? I'm mostly using it for movies, games and music.

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #317 of 355
Hey guys I can get the ad900x for 120USD do you think i should buy it?
I've heard it has problems with imaging and positioning would it be a problem if I was gaming? I'm mostly using it for movies, games and music.

I think for gaming, the AD900x would be a good headphone - mainly due to its soundstage when it comes to width.  It's been awhile since I've had the AD900x but have been playing in the AD2000x and AD2000 territory.  However, I found that many others also felt that the "x" series didn't really equate to an improvement.  When it comes to the AD2000 vs. the AD2000x, the AD2000x seems to be missing the mid-range punch that the AD2000 was noted for.  IMO, I'd expect a lot more from a $999 (list price) headphone like the AD2000x.  Street prices and used are quite a bit lower.

With what I've stated above, it still wouldn't push me from the ATH-AD900x to the ATH-AD900.  The previous version (non "x"), I found that the pads would easily bottom out and get compressed over time.  This would mean that one's ears would come close to, or even actually touch the driver.  The newer pads on the "x" series have addressed this issue.  If money were in abundance for me, I would love to hear what the ATH-AD900 would sound like with the newer pads from the "x" series.

Finally, getting back to the ATH-AD900x.  While I haven't heard the ATH-AD900x at the same time as the ATH-AD700, from what I remember of the AD700, it was a bit better.  Some might say a bit less bass.  Others might say a bit more of a narrow soundstage.  I'd hate to tell anyone that the ATH-AD900x should be passed over at the price of $120.  In that case, it might be a safe buy.  If you don't like what it features, I feel that you'll easily get your money back if you had to resell it. 

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #318 of 355
I feel like a lot of people were expecting only a bass increase to deal with the ATH-AD900's roll off. I guess it was reasonable to expect with how the closed "x" versions were changing.

Maybe after EQing they'll sound better.

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #319 of 355
  I feel like a lot of people were expecting only a bass increase to deal with the ATH-AD900's roll off. I guess it was reasonable to expect with how the closed "x" versions were changing.

Maybe after EQing they'll sound better.

That's a good possibility.  Then again, when you have a 53mm driver in a headphone cup with a fully open back, it's hard to get bass below 35Hz or so - I believe that's what I've ready.

The ATH-A900x, being a closed headphone is a different beast.  While the bass can go lower, you'll lose the airiness and soundstage that the "AD" open series offers.  Additionally, the A900 / A900x have pleather pads, which can equate to more heat and discomfort over extended listening periods.  I had my pair of ATH-A900x headphones for a few months and used them a fair amount.  Also believe with the newer "x" model, Audio Technica had initially stated that the pads would be leather and not pleather.  I really couldn't confirm that leather was on my pair.

When you read reviews of the Sony MA900, it's an open headphone.  However, they have a disc behind the driver which is supposed to aid in the bass response.  Those headphones have the mega 70mm drivers too.  If it's bass you want - and would like to achieve it in an open headphone, I'd go for the HE-400.  It has some of the best bass you'll hear and feel, aside from going to something in the next league like Audeze.

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #320 of 355
I think for gaming, the AD900x would be a good headphone - mainly due to its soundstage when it comes to width.  It's been awhile since I've had the AD900x but have been playing in the AD2000x and AD2000 territory.  However, I found that many others also felt that the "x" series didn't really equate to an improvement.  When it comes to the AD2000 vs. the AD2000x, the AD2000x seems to be missing the mid-range punch that the AD2000 was noted for.  IMO, I'd expect a lot more from a $999 (list price) headphone like the AD2000x.  Street prices and used are quite a bit lower.

With what I've stated above, it still wouldn't push me from the ATH-AD900x to the ATH-AD900.  The previous version (non "x"), I found that the pads would easily bottom out and get compressed over time.  This would mean that one's ears would come close to, or even actually touch the driver.  The newer pads on the "x" series have addressed this issue.  If money were in abundance for me, I would love to hear what the ATH-AD900 would sound like with the newer pads from the "x" series.

Finally, getting back to the ATH-AD900x.  While I haven't heard the ATH-AD900x at the same time as the ATH-AD700, from what I remember of the AD700, it was a bit better.  Some might say a bit less bass.  Others might say a bit more of a narrow soundstage.  I'd hate to tell anyone that the ATH-AD900x should be passed over at the price of $120.  In that case, it might be a safe buy.  If you don't like what it features, I feel that you'll easily get your money back if you had to resell it. 

thank you very much for your answer
i got them in the mail this morning
im still trying to get a feel for the sound since im too used to using my CAL2

May 5, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #326 of 355
Hi, i just bought an ATH-AD900X (300 SGD ~ 200 USD) while on holiday in singapore (im from myanmar, we dont have these here). Ive read your review(s) and those by others and have finally decided on the ad900x (i was looking for an open back with prominent treble for country and a lil bit of pop (more specifically, taylor swift)). I read on audio technica's website that these are for critical listening (i never really understood the term till now) and in reviews that these have a big soundstage (that convinced me).
Well, after two weeks of burn in, they still sounded underwhelming. The treble was there, the bass - not so much (thats good). But the thing with soundstage: i find it no bigger than two inches from the earcups. Thats not exactly the kinda thing i can expect after all those reviews. And the sound felt so dull, not as engaging as i would want, id fall asleep with them on.
I drive them directly out of my laptop and samsung s5 (all lossless files/ 320kbps and no amp/dac) and also i tend to set volumes to ridiculously low levels (4% or 1/15) because i felt it most "comfortable" so if this has anything to limit the SQ,...
Is that it? Is that the "big" soundstage audiophiles call? Im new to headphones so if you can help, do anything with the EQ or sth,...?

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #327 of 355
Hi, i just bought an ATH-AD900X (300 SGD ~ 200 USD) while on holiday in singapore (im from myanmar, we dont have these here). Ive read your review(s) and those by others and have finally decided on the ad900x (i was looking for an open back with prominent treble for country and a lil bit of pop (more specifically, taylor swift)). I read on audio technica's website that these are for critical listening (i never really understood the term till now) and in reviews that these have a big soundstage (that convinced me).
Well, after two weeks of burn in, they still sounded underwhelming. The treble was there, the bass - not so much (thats good). But the thing with soundstage: i find it no bigger than two inches from the earcups. Thats not exactly the kinda thing i can expect after all those reviews. And the sound felt so dull, not as engaging as i would want, id fall asleep with them on.
I drive them directly out of my laptop and samsung s5 (all lossless files/ 320kbps and no amp/dac) and also i tend to set volumes to ridiculously low levels (4% or 1/15) because i felt it most "comfortable" so if this has anything to limit the SQ,...
Is that it? Is that the "big" soundstage audiophiles call? Im new to headphones so if you can help, do anything with the EQ or sth,...?

I ran my AD700's through onboard sound without using any EQ settings. I enjoyed them and the soundstage was very wide and deep, and in my opinion it's the most spacious soundstage you can get on headphones without spending a ton of money. The AD900(X)'s should have just as large of a soundstage too. I've never heard the AD900(X) though, so maybe the soundstage is different on it. Is there anyone here who has listened to both the AD700(X) and AD900(X) and can confirm they have just as wide of a soundstage?

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #328 of 355
finally... a response to my activity... well, im tight on budgets n a-t is not at all available in my country (myanmar) so my ad900x had to be imported. it is by far the widest soundstage ever, but by an underwhelming margin... not something youd spend on a whole new headphone for... ehh, arent u that guy who recently posted the same qs on facebook?

Jun 27, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #329 of 355
finally... a response to my activity... well, im tight on budgets n a-t is not at all available in my country (myanmar) so my ad900x had to be imported. it is by far the widest soundstage ever, but by an underwhelming margin... not something youd spend on a whole new headphone for... ehh, arent u that guy who recently posted the same qs on facebook?

I've compared the AD700 to other headphones like the K712 and DT880 and the soundstage is easily wider on the AD700. I'm addicted to it, and I think it's definitely worth the money. However, I purchased my AD700 for about $90 and can get an AD900X for $150. I'm not sure what the cost is where you live, but if it's more than $200 then I agree it might not be worth it just to get a larger soundstage, which I think is the primary reason to get an AT-AD headphone. While most other headphones have a smaller soundstage, they can do many things better. As someone who primarily listens to movies and games and doesn't care about bass, I find the AD's perfect for me and affordable.

Jun 27, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #330 of 355
i paid an equivalent of 200 USD for these but then these couldnt be any cheaper there in singapore. i thought these are of great value n was impressed by the rave reviews, freq. response n the driver diameter. the ad900x bass extends quite impressively. and the word is 'definition' - no boom, no rumble, and esentially no mud but still suffice when used at home... also, boosted treble and thus good detail (despite the open design) does help the soundstage... i buy headphones for bright sq to go with the wide soundstage n IEMs for bassy, warm, reference sq. ad900x is like my very first hifi cans of good value to fill a certain niche and sth that couldnt b reolaced by higher end cans (no wasting money on "in-betweens") id go straight for the top of the lines next. what do u recommend i buy next (not as upgrade, sth different) to next?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back