Review: cMoy Headphone Amp Bass BOOST Edition
Sep 10, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #46 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to re-think the in/volume/out being that close together.

Some people have 3.5mm plugs that are too fat to fit into those jacks!

Hence the layout adjustments I mentioned
wink.gif
The final PCBs will not be so cramped.

Some of the components I use are backordered until October, so no more sales until then.

Sep 11, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #47 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackinches /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of the components I use are backordered until October, so no more sales until then.

frown.gif

I just saw these for the first time a couple days ago, and *just* missed the last ones on ebay. Oh well. I'll be watching for your next iteration in October.

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #48 of 192
Okay, I just received my CmoyBB on Friday, and I can really tell that it helps out the low end on my UE Super.fi 3s, which really need help in the bass dept. It amplifies the hiss on my h320 to a fairly high level, so I used the included volume attenuator, which seemed to have solved the hiss problem, although I'm afraid I'm missing out on the real sound by using the attenuator.

I've been using the amp with a cheap Radioshack cable, so I'm wondering if using maybe a Cardas IC would lessen the hiss. Also, this amp seems to be well made. Nothing jiggles, the battery assembly looks very sturdy, overall a very solid product. So far, I'm very satisfied.

P.S. The led is very bright. Don't stare directly into it for too long.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #49 of 192
Altoids has always been too close to Hemorrhoids for me.

Sep 16, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #51 of 192
Do you know what Hemorrhoids are?

Bum grapes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #52 of 192
Hehe, here's my dish of Altoids:
Mints.jpg

I added as much space as I can between the RK097 and mini jacks and am now utilizing a ground plane. Prototype boards will arrive around the same time as I resume sales:

x55.jpg

Sep 18, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #53 of 192
I purchased a cMoyBB with a Volume Pot built from one of the earlier prototype boards, and it arrived on Friday. I've had it running on two 9V batteries in series and burning in since then. As the burn-in has progressed, the sound of the Bass Boost has become clearer, cleaner and more transparent, as has the sound of everything, as I would expect. I've got to say that the cleanness, openness, spaciousness and transparency of the sound has become a very real pleasure to listen to. At this point, the Bass Boost has become so clean and transparent that I've been leaving it on all the time for a fuller spectral sound and (not sure why) a deeper and more credible, coherent soundstage to my ear.

I paid an additional $10 for the Volume Pot and, soundwise, this amp offers a really fine value. From operatic soprano to Joe Satriani (with Classic Rock, Trip-Hop, Fusion, Ambient/Techno electronica in between), the sound draws me right into the music with the performers, with loads of intimacy, expressive energy and a very credible sense of space and presence to my ear. The balance and synergy between the sonic facets of the cMoyBB make this one of those listening tools for which the whole is a good deal more than the sum of its parts.

Sep 18, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #54 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased a cMoyBB with a Volume Pot built from one of the earlier prototype boards, and it arrived on Friday. I've had it running on two 9V batteries in series and burning in since then. As the burn-in has progressed, the sound of the Bass Boost has become clearer, cleaner and more transparent, as has the sound of everything, as I would expect. I've got to say that the cleanness, openness, spaciousness and transparency of the sound has become a very real pleasure to listen to. At this point, the Bass Boost has become so clean and transparent that I've been leaving it on all the time for a fuller spectral sound and (not sure why) a deeper and more credible, coherent soundstage to my ear.

I paid an additional $10 for the Volume Pot and, soundwise, this amp offers a really fine value. From operatic soprano to Joe Satriani (with Classic Rock, Trip-Hop, Fusion, Ambient/Techno electronica in between), the sound draws me right into the music with the performers, with loads of intimacy, expressive energy and a very credible sense of space and presence to my ear. The balance and synergy between the sonic facets of the cMoyBB make this one of those listening tools for which the whole is a good deal more than the sum of its parts.

Excuse my asking but: isn't burn-in usefull for lamps amp?

I do not think that the condensers or resistors in the amp you have will change their characteristics in time or with use.
eek.gif

Please let me know as I am still wondering about that.
blink.gif

Last week I received another brand of headphone amp and it sounds the same after 30 hours of use compared to when I received it.

regards,

Sep 24, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #56 of 192
OMG I read the whole thread now i have some time, and i really want one now, i think the bass boost will be good, as i isten to some bassy music too, sometimes.....I think i would have dual gain, for maybe oneday when i have some decent headphones, and low gain for my er6i's. i would hopefully have the Gain and bass boost switches inside the tin, and an OPA2227 (are they user replaceable on your amps??) i would have the plain tin......

In october how much would the amp cost approximatley? (With the stuff i want) and the cheapest shipping to the UK.

I need to save up the right ammount!

Thanks in advance, please reply!

-= Matt =-

Sep 24, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #57 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse my asking but: isn't burn-in usefull for lamps amp?

This is a sub-genre of the whole 'Burn-in' debate.

Personally I'm a believer of it in moving things[HP drivers] but not in static things.

Sep 24, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #58 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a sub-genre of the whole 'Burn-in' debate.

Personally I'm a believer of it in moving things[HP drivers] but not in static things.

I have read a thread at Head-Fi about the usefulness of burn-in in lamps amp. I only own "cmoy" type amps so I cannot voice in favor of lamps amp but for the solid state I do not perceive a difference in time and use.

I fully agree with you as regard usefulness in mechanical parts, like headphones and earphones, where a coil is acting against a membrane or whatever...

But if I smoke a few good ones I might think the former
blink.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #59 of 192
I think you're gonna upset a few people about this.

This particular CMoy bass boost does use a capacitor that might need burn-in or time to "form". The builder does say it will work well without a cap. On this particular amp I can say it has changed a little, acheiving a mildly to oderately improved soundstage vs new. I reported on this earlier.

However, I can vouch for, affirm, or attest to the fact that my iBasso D1 and my PenguinAmp Royal have had even more significant changes as they put more hours on the clock, they use significantly bigger caps...

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #60 of 192
I think you're gonna upset a few people about this.

This particular CMoy bass boost does use a capacitor that might need burn-in or time to "form". The builder does say it will work well without a cap. On this particular amp I can say it has changed a little, acheiving a mildly to oderately improved soundstage vs new. I reported on this earlier.

However, I can vouch for, affirm, or attest to the fact that my iBasso D1 and my PenguinAmp Royal have had even more significant changes as they put more hours on the clock, they use significantly bigger caps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back