[REVIEW] Closed Portable Circumaural / Around-Ear Headphone Comparison – M50, Z1000, TMA-1 S, Momentum, UE6000, MDR-1R
Feb 4, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #76 of 113
Guy's I can got three great cans (UE 6000, M-80, Monster Turbine Gold) and I'm wondering if I should pic up the ATH M-50 for ****'s and giggles.  I wanna dabble in DIY stuff with cans and I think the M-50s would be great to play around with but I'm curious how  they would sound compared to my current cans.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #77 of 113
Basically they have a slightly colder sound with more emphasized treble and bass. Slightly v-shaped and bass has good detailed extension while also being punchy. Mids are detailed but ever so slightly recessed. Soundstage is a little narrow. I find them to be fun, all-around cans. The biggest difference you'll hear in comparison to the M-80s, is in the highs and overall tone, which is a bit brighter on the M50.. M-80s are more balanced across the board but where the highs are missing a little sparkle, you'll get plenty with the M50. The latter is overall the more aggressive can and while there is an emphasis on treble, I don find it harsh.

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #78 of 113
Hey guys, I updated the second post to link to some headphone review videos I've been putting up.

No new details compared to the written version (actually probably less videos) but you can get a closer look at how the headphones look. :)

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #79 of 113
I wish more headphone reviews were like this -- clear, concise, and touches on all the important aspects of the headphones. All this without going too much into audiophile jargon. Keep it up, and I hope to see more reviews from you.

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #80 of 113
Enjoyed the combined reviews and the comparison. Portable amping is not always possible in the busy 21st century society so it is quite practical that you have not included amps for portable use. Were you using lossless files in the iPhone, and if yes were you using the App store FLAC player?

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #81 of 113
Quote:
Hey guys, I updated the second post to link to some headphone review videos I've been putting up.

No new details compared to the written version (actually probably less videos) but you can get a closer look at how the headphones look. :)

Looks great! As a lot of the things you've written are spot on with my own perception, I've come to highly trust the feedback you give. Always looking forward to what you have to say and I hope you keep adding to this comparison as time goes by.

popcorn.gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #82 of 113
Jun 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #84 of 113
Update with TH600/TH900? :D

Hmmm... Well aside from the cost, I don't know how the Fostex would be considered a portable headphobe haha. I would love a pair one day though :3

Jun 3, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #86 of 113
Lol yes but um... they are huge?

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #88 of 113
Maybe one day for a full size headphone comparison, but then again I do not really want to get into the business of collecting full sizes. -___-;

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #89 of 113
Quote:
Maybe one day for a full size headphone comparison, but then again I do not really want to get into the business of collecting full sizes. -___-;

It is too late. You've become a trusted reviewer around here that's put out excellent content. You don't want to disappoint now, do you? (insert sad puppy dog eyes here)

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #90 of 113
Man, really impressed with the quality of this review/comparison. Professional quality stuff for sure. Too bad this is buried in the IEM section of the forums as I think it would get more comments and further discussion if it were in the full-size can section. After reading the piece, I am now on the hunt for a pair of Momentums to help round out my stable of current headphones. These look REALLY nice and I could see getting a lot of head time with these. Off to the classified section! Thanks again and looking forward to reading more of your work. 

Quick question before I go: Would you say these [Momentums] have a similar sound signature to the HD600 also by Sennheiser?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back