[Review] CK100PRO Unboxing & Impressions (+ a retrospective journey with Audio-technica and versus CK100)
Apr 13, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #301 of 356
No need to apologise! There was no offense taken :) I definitely also take those things into account when evaluating the design of a product also. I just don't know yet if they are actually as fragile as they look. The HF5 also look really fragile and their strain reliefs look really suspect, but have held up to all kinds of wear and tear. So for all intents and purposes they have been actually quite durable despite seemingly being really frail. That is why I mentioned them in comparison to the Kaede and its build quality. The 100pro is one of the few IEMs I have seen where nothing about it looks fragile or suspect. The cable on the HF5 is just as microphonic as that of the ER4PT that I use sometimes but I just wear them over the ears.

The Kaede's cable is not really all that microphonic to me and much, much better than either of the Ety phones in this regard. But I do definitely agree that Ocharaku took a sound first approach while also wanting to keep a handmade/unique look. This might have been the impetus for the decision about the cables. The cabinet is undoubtedly  a sound first design as it awkward looking and although comfortable for my ears, could easily cause many ears problems. And to all your points, I will absolutely not be going to the gyms with these haha :tongue_smile:

I thought that the cable swivels in an awkward manner, i thought that this could be a potential week spot.
Currenly i would be much more inclined to buy an Ocharaku than a used CK100pro.

On your previous post: I used to own a pair of RE-262 which i bought without prior audition (soly relying on reviews). When i received them, i was initially disappointed. This feeling never subsided in 2 years of almost daily use. Therefore i have become quite wary of IEMs which i do not appreciate from the get go.

I think only null-audio makes cables for it

Yeah, i also remember Reading something about that.
Well, that isn't overly convenient if one doesn't live in S'pore...all this hastle just to be more special.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #302 of 356
Other than Null cable, there is other China site that actually sold them. TaoBao. Well I kind of like the swivel cable design. Pretty unique IMO. Unlike your traditional Shure Or UE. Despite just owning them for like 4 days. Haha.

Btw, if you guys like IEM with Big soundtage. Might as well try out the FX850. They have removable cable and the bass is just.. WOW.. Which I still can't use to the CK100Pro bass. I don't define the bass of FX850 as more in quantity, but more on quality too (It's dynamic). I'm not sure about the Kaeda Sound signature though.

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #303 of 356
I thought that the cable swivels in an awkward manner, i thought that this could be a potential week spot.
Currenly i would be much more inclined to buy an Ocharaku than a used CK100pro.

On your previous post: I used to own a pair of RE-262 which i bought without prior audition (soly relying on reviews). When i received them, i was initially disappointed. This feeling never subsided in 2 years of almost daily use. Therefore i have become quite wary of IEMs which i do not appreciate from the get go.
Yeah, i also remember Reading something about that.
Well, that isn't overly convenient if one doesn't live in S'pore...all this hastle just to be more special.

I definitely understand this. I think first impressions can be a really good indicator of whether a phone will become something you can grow to like/love. I have also had the same experience and if it weren't for a few phones I've grown to really like after bad first impressions (the 100pro included), I definitely might be right there with you. 
  Other than Null cable, there is other China site that actually sold them. TaoBao. Well I kind of like the swivel cable design. Pretty unique IMO. Unlike your traditional Shure Or UE. Despite just owning them for like 4 days. Haha.

Btw, if you guys like IEM with Big soundtage. Might as well try out the FX850. They have removable cable and the bass is just.. WOW.. Which I still can't use to the CK100Pro bass. I don't define the bass of FX850 as more in quantity, but more on quality too (It's dynamic). I'm not sure about the Kaeda Sound signature though.

I think one of the strengths of the Kaede is its bass presentation. It is really detailed, with amazing texture, and has both good quantity and quality to my ears. I think the CK100Pro has very detailed, extremely fast, punchy, well extended and articulate bass, but it is more in line with traditional balanced armature presentations. But in the multi-balanced armature category it has one of my favorite bass presentations, and I think it has more quantity than people usually give it credit for. I have heard/read wonderful things about the bass on the FX850. I hope I can get around to hearing it soon!

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #304 of 356

Well, China produced anything and everything. 
Again, I do not know whether such a swivel mechanism is as durable as those stationary designs. I expect the friction to deteriorate the connector over time.

I have been tempted by the FX850 for quite some time, considering it is not overly expensive and looks nice. But I think that I have had my share of straight-down iems for the moment. I'd like to audition them one day. Good thing is they are easier to come by than the CK100pro.

I definitely understand this. I think first impressions can be a really good indicator of whether a phone will become something you can grow to like/love. I have also had the same experience and if it weren't for a few phones I've grown to really like after bad first impressions (the 100pro included), I definitely might be right there with you. 

I think one of the strengths of the Kaede is its bass presentation. It is really detailed, with amazing texture, and has both good quantity and quality to my ears. I think the CK100Pro has very detailed, extremely fast, punchy, well extended and articulate bass, but it is more in line with traditional balanced armature presentations. But in the multi-balanced armature category it has one of my favorite bass presentations, and I think it has more quantity than people usually give it credit for. I have heard/read wonderful things about the bass on the FX850. I hope I can get around to hearing it soon!

One shouldn't force love.
wink.gif

I only listened to the Kaede in an suboptimal , so I am not confident that I am able to utter an informed opinion.
But I have auditioned the SUI and DONGURI and I must say that they are the closest I have come to a GRADO IEM (without having listened to the GRADO iems themselves). An open sound with really wide, airy soundstage.
But I must say that the difference between the SUI and the other two were fairly incremental, so I would probably go for that or the one above the SUI.

Maybe the CK100pro could be regarded as THE BA experience.

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #305 of 356

Again, I do not know whether such a swivel mechanism is as durable as those stationary designs. I expect the friction to deteriorate the connector over time.

I have been tempted by the FX850 for quite some time, considering it is not overly expensive and looks nice. But I think that I have had my share of straight-down iems for the moment. I'd like to audition them one day. Good thing is they are easier to come by than the CK100pro.

Well, I expect sometime before the connector actually deteriorate. Same as other MMCX IEM. 

Yes, the FX850 is more easily available than the CK100PRO and it is a must try!

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #306 of 356
  Well, I expect sometime before the connector actually deteriorate. Same as other MMCX IEM

Yes, the FX850 is more easily available than the CK100PRO and it is a must try!

This is why I am a fan of the standard 2pin configuration. I find it simpler, securer and less prone to long term deterioration.

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #307 of 356

One shouldn't force love.
wink.gif

I only listened to the Kaede in an suboptimal , so I am not confident that I am able to utter an informed opinion.
But I have auditioned the SUI and DONGURI and I must say that they are the closest I have come to a GRADO IEM (without having listened to the GRADO iems themselves). An open sound with really wide, airy soundstage.
But I must say that the difference between the SUI and the other two were fairly incremental, so I would probably go for that or the one above the SUI.

Maybe the CK100pro could be regarded as THE BA experience.

Hahaha! Defitnitely agree!
biggrin.gif

The swivel could very well be a weak point. My pair of 100pros are still in great shape but only time will tell as to how this funky design holds up. 

I have read countless times that the SUI is very close to the Kaede, with the Kaede being only slightly more refined. I cannot say as I have not heard it myself but if that is the case, but for the prices the SUIs are going for new/used, it would be quite a deal IMO. I'm thinking of picking one up to do some comparisons. 

This is why I am a fan of the standard 2pin configuration. I find it simpler, securer and less prone to long term deterioration.

This seems to absolutely be the case. As whaleshark12 said, MMCX connectors are much more prone to deterioration and ware. I always wondered if the reverse MMCX of the 100Pro was made in an attempt to address this or just AT being AT. 

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #310 of 356
  Hahaha! Defitnitely agree!
biggrin.gif

The swivel could very well be a weak point. My pair of 100pros are still in great shape but only time will tell as to how this funky design holds up. 

I have read countless times that the SUI is very close to the Kaede, with the Kaede being only slightly more refined. I cannot say as I have not heard it myself but if that is the case, but for the prices the SUIs are going for new/used, it would be quite a deal IMO. I'm thinking of picking one up to do some comparisons. 

This seems to absolutely be the case. As whaleshark12 said, MMCX connectors are much more prone to deterioration and ware. I always wondered if the reverse MMCX of the 100Pro was made in an attempt to address this or just AT being AT

I can definitely sign that statement. To me there was hardly a difference to be honest and switching from one to the other it became difficult to differentiate between the two. 
So at times I didn't even know which one I was listening to - (almost) same sound and build (ie they feel the same in the ear)

If you think of buying Ocharaku, go for the SUI it is much more reasonable than the others. 
This is the sort of progression I also know from the Audio Technica AIR series. I once listened to all of them side by side for a few hours and it was obvious that they always used the same driver, just slightly tweaked.

Perhaps this is why the ATH AD2000x goes for so little used. It's MSRP is almost preposterous. 
AT really needs to get the pricing right. They under price and over price (mostly the second one though)

---

I agree AT trying to be special again...sometimes...

They are walking this narrow path between high end and low end (and not really getting it right IMO)

Apr 16, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #311 of 356
So my damper/filter just arrive, though I would write up the impression on 2 different filter. The grey, rated 330ohm. The White, rated 680ohm. Diameter is 2.08mm.
The website i bought from is Mouser. Despite buying such small stuff. They send it in a pretty big box.

Those are the damper/filter, yes they are pretty tiny. When working with these "ants", it is better if you could turn off the fan. As that thing is so tiny. I have a feeling it might get blow off, don't sneeze while working on it!
The installation is pretty easy.
First you would need to pull the sponge out of the nozzle. Do it slowly, don't rush. You still need it later. Then you should see something like this after pulling the whole thing out. 
You should see something like this, 

Where the hole inside is hollow. It is advisable that you place the damper facing inward. As in the future you might need to take it out. So that it is easier to extract later.

After the damper is place inside the acoustic horn. You would need to put back the sponge thingy. This is to prevent the damper from falling out. So It is IMPORTANT.

330Ohm
Still sound clean, despite very very minimal warm is added (Bass is added a little). Sibilance still occur on some of my tracks, mainly Jpop Genre. Treble still sound energetic at some point.

680Ohm
Added warm is noticable (Won't make it a warm sounding IEM) , Bass sound more realistic ( Percussion ) I won't say this sounds clean. But still clear. Treble don't sound too energetic. Sibilance is very rare.

Hope this help future buyer of the CK100PRO.
Oh, This guide is not made by me. But a Kind Head Fier that actually recommend me to try this Mod. Thank him! 
biggrin.gif

Credit goes to @Lightless

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #312 of 356

I can definitely sign that statement. To me there was hardly a difference to be honest and switching from one to the other it became difficult to differentiate between the two. 
So at times I didn't even know which one I was listening to - (almost) same sound and build (ie they feel the same in the ear)

If you think of buying Ocharaku, go for the SUI it is much more reasonable than the others. 
This is the sort of progression I also know from the Audio Technica AIR series. I once listened to all of them side by side for a few hours and it was obvious that they always used the same driver, just slightly tweaked.

Perhaps this is why the ATH AD2000x goes for so little used. It's MSRP is almost preposterous. 
AT really needs to get the pricing right. They under price and over price (mostly the second one though)

---

I agree AT trying to be special again...sometimes...

They are walking this narrow path between high end and low end (and not really getting it right IMO)

They seem to have a very similar cabinet. If they are very alike SQ wise, SUI would be an amazing deal. When the Kaede gets things right, it is phenomenal IMHO. If it accentuates aspects of the Kaede that aren't so stellar, which some claim, then I can see it being problematic or polarizing. I have read both opinions fairly often so it seems like a toss up depending on ones preferences. I am now more curious about looking into the SUI to compare to the Kaede. 

AT's pricing (like a lot of their products) is really all over the place and is often confusing. They are such a big company and I wonder if they have a lot of internal divisions and lack of communication between those working on their low end stuff and those on their mid/high tier products. As you pointed out, they seem less cohesive, as of late at least, in many regards compared to other large manufacturers. 

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #313 of 356
  So my damper/filter just arrive, though I would write up the impression on 2 different filter. The grey, rated 330ohm. The White, rated 680ohm. Diameter is 2.08mm.
The website i bought from is Mouser. Despite buying such small stuff. They send it in a pretty big box.

Those are the damper/filter, yes they are pretty tiny. When working with these "ants", it is better if you could turn off the fan. As that thing is so tiny. I have a feeling it might get blow off, don't sneeze while working on it!
The installation is pretty easy.
First you would need to pull the sponge out of the nozzle. Do it slowly, don't rush. You still need it later. Then you should see something like this after pulling the whole thing out. 
You should see something like this, 

Where the hole inside is hollow. It is advisable that you place the damper facing inward. As in the future you might need to take it out. So that it is easier to extract later.

After the damper is place inside the acoustic horn. You would need to put back the sponge thingy. This is to prevent the damper from falling out. So It is IMPORTANT.

330Ohm
Still sound clean, despite very very minimal warm is added (Bass is added a little). Sibilance still occur on some of my tracks, mainly Jpop Genre. Treble still sound energetic at some point.

680Ohm
Added warm is noticable (Won't make it a warm sounding IEM) , Bass sound more realistic ( Percussion ) I won't say this sounds clean. But still clear. Treble don't sound too energetic. Sibilance is very rare.

Hope this help future buyer of the CK100PRO.
Oh, This guide is not made by me. But a Kind Head Fier that actually recommend me to try this Mod. Thank him! 
biggrin.gif

Credit goes to @Lightless

Thanks for posting this! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 16, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #314 of 356
  They seem to have a very similar cabinet. If they are very alike SQ wise, SUI would be an amazing deal. When the Kaede gets things right, it is phenomenal IMHO. If it accentuates aspects of the Kaede that aren't so stellar, which some claim, then I can see it being problematic or polarizing. I have read both opinions fairly often so it seems like a toss up depending on ones preferences. I am now more curious about looking into the SUI to compare to the Kaede. 

AT's pricing (like a lot of their products) is really all over the place and is often confusing. They are such a big company and I wonder if they have a lot of internal divisions and lack of communication between those working on their low end stuff and those on their mid/high tier products. As you pointed out, they seem less cohesive, as of late at least, in many regards compared to other large manufacturers. 

Talking about the SUI, I am getting somewhat tempted to get them myself.

I also think the inconsistent pricing must be the result of some internal issues, rivalries, mismanagement or whatnot inside AT. 
Sennheiser (which possibly is bigger than AT) also covers a broad spectrum of products, but at the same makes it fairly clear to the consumer which products belong into which category.

I have the feeling that Audio Technica needs to change and/or adapt do stay relevant in the future. Currently, I am not even sure which is their flagship product (like the HD800).

May 7, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #315 of 356
So my Ck100Pro the left driver having audio shutter problem. So I send my cable back for warranty. But I soon found out it isn' the cable issue... It was the driver or connector issue. I have tried with other 2 MMCX cable. Swapping side and compare.. the result is the same..My warranty is already gone. So I'm just clueless now not sure what to do..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back