Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo
Sep 8, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #466 of 694
Hello All-

I am considering purchasing a CEntrance DACport slim to use directly out of my iPhone 6s.  Kinda like a shozy cozoy but with a volume knob.  Anyone have success doing that and what cable is needed (Apple Lightning connect?)?  Any insight would be appreciated or if this isn't going to work please let me know?

Thanks

-Greg

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #467 of 694
Hello All-

I am considering purchasing a CEntrance DACport slim to use directly out of my iPhone 6s.  Kinda like a shozy cozoy but with a volume knob.  Anyone have success doing that and what cable is needed (Apple Lightning connect?)?  Any insight would be appreciated or if this isn't going to work please let me know?

Thanks

-Greg

It won't work because Apple does not supported USB powered devices on lighting port (you'll get a message like "your device uses too much power"). It might work with a USB regen type device that will provide independent power, not from iPhone, but the regen device I have from Uptone Audio is not supported by Centrance.

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #468 of 694
Thank you so much for the quick reply!  I was worried it would be something like that.  Any other thoughts of a cost effective way to kick up the sound of my iPhone 6s?  Perhaps a sozy cozoy but I am not sure if those are being made anymore.

-Greg

Sep 8, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #469 of 694
Something has to provide power for the DAC/amp device, so the other option is the $350 Centrance DACportable, which is battery-powered:

http://www.centrance.com/products/dacportable/

EDIT: iPhone 6S already has decent sound quality (relatively to other portable devices), so it takes some Benjamins to upgrade from it. What headphones do you use? Maybe its more cost effective to just upgrade to better and more efficient headphones.

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #470 of 694
Thank you so much for the quick reply!  I was worried it would be something like that.  Any other thoughts of a cost effective way to kick up the sound of my iPhone 6s?  Perhaps a sozy cozoy but I am not sure if those are being made anymore.

-Greg

Something has to provide power for the DAC/amp device, so the other option is the $350 Centrance DACportable, which is battery-powered:

EDIT: iPhone 6S already has decent sound quality (relatively to other portable devices), so it takes some Benjamins to upgrade from it. What headphones do you use? Maybe its more cost effective to just upgrade to better and more efficient headphones.

It will work if you get the usb 3 lightning camera kit cable, it allows you to provide power via lightning

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #471 of 694

I agree with this. Apple products, specifically, have an extremely neutral sound signature, which is the same with the DACport. You really won't hear much of a difference. If it doesn't get loud enough, there are much more convenient ways to amplifying the audio without having to deal with the cable clutter/paying for cables and usb hubs.

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #472 of 694
It will work if you get the usb 3 lightning camera kit cable, it allows you to provide power via lightning

+1

I actually have tested it and it works using the new USB 3 CCK, but of course, as you say, it also requires power it, so it becomes a heftier deal -- you either need a wall or a portable battery as well.

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #473 of 694
I agree with this. Apple products, specifically, have an extremely neutral sound signature, which is the same with the DACport. You really won't hear much of a difference. If it doesn't get loud enough, there are much more convenient ways to amplifying the audio without having to deal with the cable clutter/paying for cables and usb hubs.

Indeed, yeah, I use a simple FiiO E6 amp from headphone out on my 6s Plus (and I'd bet the successor, the A1, works equally as good) when I need more power than the headphone out alone can deal, such as when I use my Fostex T50RP MK3.

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #474 of 694
Thanks for the posts.  I'm currently using Orivetti Primacy headphones directly from my iphone 6s.  I love the Orivetti's sound but was hoping to tweak it up a notch at the DAC/amplification end.  Sounds like I am back to considering a DAP or a more high end DAC/amp.  I was just hoping to keep the costs fairly low but based on the posts probably unlikely to hear significant gains without spending some more significant cash.
My main issue with the phone as the player is the limited storage on the device.  The ideal for me would be a DAP with a very polished software interface like the iphone.  Not sure if that exists though.

-Greg

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #475 of 694
Well, I have been using my noisy old S3 as my main DAP with this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=68473076#post68473076

Works like a charm, just very very noisy with sensitive, low impedance IEMs.

Sometimes I just feel like plugging in the DACport if I want to control the volume a bit better, other times, I don't.

-------------------------------
(Just parroting what CEntrance is saying in the Massdrop discussion page...)

CEntrance is offering the mod for upgrading the Slim to the HD. If any of you bought the Slim and liked it but want a bit more, you can unlock the features of the HD on the Slim instead of picking up a new HD. The total price (not including shipping) of the Slim plus the upgrade should be the same as buying an HD.

I don't think I will plan to upgrade in the near future, but it's nice to have an extra option and flexibility. The Slim is a very good entry level dac/amp for many to test the waters. For those that might want to climb up the ladder a bit, yay! No need to buy a brand new HD at full price.

----------------------------
 (Continuing to parrot what CEntrance is sharing...)

New review of the HD:

Written version, if you find reading it easier:

http://thehbproject.com/en/reviews/200/0/CEntrance-DACport-HD-DAC

Oct 2, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #476 of 694
Just wanted to chime in to say the DacPort slim works like a charm with galaxy s7 edge with USB audio player pro.

Oct 2, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #477 of 694

I am currently using the CEntrance DACportable with an iPhone 6S though an Apple Lightning to USB Camera adapter:
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter
and am very please with this setup.  The downside is that the DACportable is bulkier and heavier than the slim or HD.  Combined with the extra cabling, this is not a very good rig for walking around with (which I do a lot at work). 

I thought about the Skyn very seriously, but work changes my phone every couple of years, so I couldn't justify the price.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #478 of 694
Got a question for all of you.... I have the Dacport Slim for work. I have to have closed cans for work and I have decided on the Beyrdynamic DT770's. I just can't decide if I should get the 80 ohm version or the 250. Anyone have a suggestion?

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #479 of 694
Got a question for all of you.... I have the Dacport Slim for work. I have to have closed cans for work and I have decided on the Beyrdynamic DT770's. I just can't decide if I should get the 80 ohm version or the 250. Anyone have a suggestion?

I would say go for the 250. It has no problem driving my 300ohm senns.

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #480 of 694
Will this work with a Chromebook or do drivers have to be installed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back