[Review] Brainwavz M4
Apr 3, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #92 of 154

Quote:
Rock, rap, dubstep, electronic.

This. The V-shaped response livens up the bass in those genres and brings out the vocals in hip-hop.

Still... after several days with the M4 I'm still finding that the bass is a little too boomy... to the extent that it overshadows the rest of the frequency range. It's not horrible, but it doesn't sound balanced at all. I guess that's the point of these IEM's, though. It has a more "consumer-friendly" sound and is not really meant for audiophiles. I can still enjoy my hip-hop and dubstep with these, though. And the seal with the stock silicone tips is quite good.

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #93 of 154

Quote:
This. The V-shaped response livens up the bass in those genres and brings out the vocals in hip-hop.

Still... after several days with the M4 I'm still finding that the bass is a little too boomy... to the extent that it overshadows the rest of the frequency range. It's not horrible, but it doesn't sound balanced at all. I guess that's the point of these IEM's, though. It has a more "consumer-friendly" sound and is not really meant for audiophiles. I can still enjoy my hip-hop and dubstep with these, though. And the seal with the stock silicone tips is quite good.

The bass doesn't settle down to the point where they are balanced, don't expect that one.  They have a V-shape, which to some ears sounds more natural than a flat (or neutral) FR response. 

Apr 3, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #94 of 154
The box says they are tuned for vocals and acoustic music.
They work quite well with folk, country and even rock but when there's bass, it will overpower.
It's a pity that the bass is that dominant because everything else is done quite good.
For bass lovers.

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #95 of 154

Quote:
The bass doesn't settle down to the point where they are balanced, don't expect that one.  They have a V-shape, which to some ears sounds more natural than a flat (or neutral) FR response. 

Yeah, I'm not expecting the bass to balance out at all. But I do wish it would tighten a little and hit a little deeper. Right now there's too large a mid-bass hump to my ears.

Quote:
The box says they are tuned for vocals and acoustic music.
They work quite well with folk, country and even rock but when there's bass, it will overpower.
It's a pity that the bass is that dominant because everything else is done quite good.
For bass lovers.

I noticed that on the box as well. I don't see how these were possibly tuned for vocals and acoustic. Electronica, dubstep, and hip-hop are definitely where the M4 shines.

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #97 of 154

Quote:
IMO they have significantly more subbass than a normal v-curve, which is what makes them sound a little boomy. Works for some genres, not so much for others.

I thought upper- and mid-bass were generally what made speakers/headphones/IEMs sound boomy.

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #98 of 154

Quote:
Quote:
IMO they have significantly more subbass than a normal v-curve, which is what makes them sound a little boomy. Works for some genres, not so much for others.

I thought upper- and mid-bass were generally what made speakers/headphones/IEMs sound boomy.

IME, the upper/midbass give it punch, but the rumble and body is in the subbass, which makes it boomy.

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #99 of 154

Quote:
IME, the upper/midbass give it punch, but the rumble and body is in the subbass, which makes it boomy.

I'd have to agree with this.  The upper/midbass gives a punch, the body gives the impact (boomyness if overimpactive with bigger punch), subbass, and presence. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #100 of 154
I see. In that case, I guess the sub-bass is too bloated. Whatever the case, it's not punchy like my GR07, and hurts my ears in certain tracks. On the other hand, it doesn't hurt my ears as badly as the sibilance does on the GR07. Either way, MY EARS ARE BLEEDING!

No, but really, for $28 the M4 was a nice addition, especially for gym use.

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #101 of 154

Quote:
I see. In that case, I guess the sub-bass is too bloated. Whatever the case, it's not punchy like my GR07, and hurts my ears in certain tracks. On the other hand, it doesn't hurt my ears as badly as the sibilance does on the GR07. Either way, MY EARS ARE BLEEDING!

No, but really, for $28 the M4 was a nice addition, especially for gym use.

Maybe turn the volume down a bit? 
tongue.gif
 If you have issues with GR07 sibilance, you can use foam tips, but it takes away some of the magic... But that's a conversation for a different thread...

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #102 of 154
I have the m2 model and Im surprised at how detailed the sound is out of them. I can only imagine that Brainwavz reproduced or improved upon that in the m4s. I also am a fan of the punchy bass that most brainwavs produce. Not to mention at their price range is AMAZING!

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #103 of 154
Finally Got these the other day and WOW. They are like mini HJE900s. I'm very impressed with these headphones that only cost 29.99.. What a steal they were.

Apr 14, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #104 of 154
I got my brainwavz m4 from the amazon sale last week. What a steal these were at 29.99. These have great depth and remind me of my for me HJE900s in that respect. Seriously these have a V-shaped sound signature just like the HJES, and they also share the same depth. Obviously these don't sound as good, but for the price they are well worth it. I don't know much about audio, but I'll give a full review now that these have fully burned in.

Durability: Cool looking cable, but it's so thin I could see it being damaged easily. Also Unfortunately the right ear pieces grill is missing. Also like the HJES LOL The grills will just fall off on you. Which sucks because I have a lot of ear wax LOL. 3/5
Isolation: Decent. It's impossible to have great isolation with a huge open port on the back. 3.5/5
Accessories: Carrying Case. Shirt Clip and 10 pairs of tips. Including Comply tips which I like a lot. I wish the carrying case had a zipper pouch to store tips just so They don't fly out of the case if i'm walking or on the train changing tips. Keep that in mind for your next iem, zipper pouches. 4/5
Microphonics: I use the include shirt clip so I have no problems. 4.5/5
Comfort: I haven't used iems in a while so they were really hurting my ears, until I switch to comply tips. Just so you know I wear them over the ear and go for very deep insertion. I'm used to them now but they still kinda hurt 3/5

Sound:
I'm very impressed by the sound these put out. Warm and Crisp and clear definitely a nice combination.

Bass: Let me say, people say these have a lot of bass and they are correct. But not too much. Not so much that it drowns out the rest of the spectrum. Whats there is clear, concise and very punchy. I love the bass on these things, very nicely done. 8.5/10

Mids: When the bass and treble are going, it's not hard to hear the mids at all. I feel they have been restrained, but not as much as the HJE900. Which is a nice change for me. If the mids were a bit better this headphone would be a perfect. 7/10

Treble: Very forward and aggressive. may be sibilant with poorly recorded music. The highs are all crisp and clear to round out this lovely phone. 8/10

As I said I was very impressed. The sound on these things is amazing. If you are a bass head and are looking for a jack of all trades, this headphone will do it for you. It's seriously good on every spectrum. Overall: 8/10

Value: I haven't heard a lot of the other $29.99 earphones but I imagine this just slaughters all of them. I seriously can't believe these were $29 what a steal. At the current price of 44.95(Amazon) these are still worth it, such a good value. 10/10

I for one can not wait to hear brainwavz dual driver iem coming out soon. I have to say this it may offend but, PLEASE BRAINWAVZ improve your build quality for the dual driver set. And don't use armatures, KTHX. Oh and give me a zipper pouch.

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #105 of 154

Quote:
I got my brainwavz m4 from the amazon sale last week. What a steal these were at 29.99. These have great depth and remind me of my for me HJE900s in that respect. Seriously these have a V-shaped sound signature just like the HJES, and they also share the same depth. Obviously these don't sound as good, but for the price they are well worth it. I don't know much about audio, but I'll give a full review now that these have fully burned in.

Durability: Cool looking cable, but it's so thin I could see it being damaged easily. Also Unfortunately the right ear pieces grill is missing. Also like the HJES LOL The grills will just fall off on you. Which sucks because I have a lot of ear wax LOL. 3/5
Isolation: Decent. It's impossible to have great isolation with a huge open port on the back. 3.5/5
Accessories: Carrying Case. Shirt Clip and 10 pairs of tips. Including Comply tips which I like a lot. I wish the carrying case had a zipper pouch to store tips just so They don't fly out of the case if i'm walking or on the train changing tips. Keep that in mind for your next iem, zipper pouches. 4/5
Microphonics: I use the include shirt clip so I have no problems. 4.5/5
Comfort: I haven't used iems in a while so they were really hurting my ears, until I switch to comply tips. Just so you know I wear them over the ear and go for very deep insertion. I'm used to them now but they still kinda hurt 3/5

Sound:
I'm very impressed by the sound these put out. Warm and Crisp and clear definitely a nice combination.

Bass: Let me say, people say these have a lot of bass and they are correct. But not too much. Not so much that it drowns out the rest of the spectrum. Whats there is clear, concise and very punchy. I love the bass on these things, very nicely done. 8.5/10

Mids: When the bass and treble are going, it's not hard to hear the mids at all. I feel they have been restrained, but not as much as the HJE900. Which is a nice change for me. If the mids were a bit better this headphone would be a perfect. 7/10

Treble: Very forward and aggressive. may be sibilant with poorly recorded music. The highs are all crisp and clear to round out this lovely phone. 8/10

As I said I was very impressed. The sound on these things is amazing. If you are a bass head and are looking for a jack of all trades, this headphone will do it for you. It's seriously good on every spectrum. Overall: 8/10

Value: I haven't heard a lot of the other $29.99 earphones but I imagine this just slaughters all of them. I seriously can't believe these were $29 what a steal. At the current price of 44.95(Amazon) these are still worth it, such a good value. 10/10

I for one can not wait to hear brainwavz dual driver iem coming out soon. I have to say this it may offend but, PLEASE BRAINWAVZ improve your build quality for the dual driver set. And don't use armatures, KTHX. Oh and give me a zipper pouch.

Im actually borrowing someone's m4 and auditioning it....
anyways, since HJE's are one of those iems that is know for their awesome timbre(never had the chance to listen to them :frowning2: ), and since u hav those, can u just comment on the timbre of these m4 including their timbre compare with ur HJE's, or maybe even compare with RE0 too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back