[Review] Brainwavz M4
Apr 2, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #76 of 154

Quote:
The driver flex on my M4 is much worse with the right earphone than it is on the left.. It's rather annoying but they do sound pretty good despite the driver flex issues I'm having. Even though I don't use them much I hope my M4 doesn't suffer the same fate as yours but I suspect they will eventually..
frown.gif

Hope so for you although they said that my case is an unusual occurrence.
Today I have mailed my M4 to MP4 Nation. So we will see how it is going...

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #77 of 154
My pair has more driver flex on the left piece. After half an hour of listening I start to like them. "Going going gone" from Dylan sounds excellent on these. Isolation is VERY good.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #78 of 154

Quote:
Just received my pair.
Bass is a bit too much, driver flex is annoying and it's the second most sensitive IEM I own, right after the X-ears IEMs I have (they have even more driver flex too).
A chin slider is midding and the clip cannot be used as a replacement as on the HiSound Crystal. A good amount of tips but most are too small or too large.
Nice packaging and I am curious on how they will burn-in.
They're so sensitive they hiss on my D4 (laptop connected) so I won't use them on my laptop setup. That's a bummer, but I did buy them as backup for use with my Sansa Clip. They seem to isolate well. Treble is there, vocals come out front but bass is very dominating.

Is there typically a correlation between high sensitivity and driver flex? I can see how that would be the case.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #80 of 154

Quote:
Nah, it's more about the way dynamic driver work and physics.
wink.gif

Technically speaking, BAs can have driver flex too, but it's a lot less common.  I could have sworn one of my first BAs had driver flex :p  I forget if it was the ADDIEM, S4s, or A151s :p  There was crackling (clicking as well) for sure though.

However, like you said, it has nothing to do with any specifications on IEMs.  It's more of the placement of the driver and how it relieves air-pressure in the chamber (if it does).

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #81 of 154
Alright, that makes sense. The concept of driver flex is fairly new to me since the CX 300's I was using for the last 3 or 4 years had none whatsoever. Is the M4 pretty typical in the amount of driver flex it has, or is it on the high side? It's not a huge deal, but it is fairly annoying; I'm hoping to not experience it in the future when I'm able to upgrade to the IE80.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #82 of 154

Quote:
Alright, that makes sense. The concept of driver flex is fairly new to me since the CX 300's I was using for the last 3 or 4 years had none whatsoever. Is the M4 pretty typical in the amount of driver flex it has, or is it on the high side? It's not a huge deal, but it is fairly annoying; I'm hoping to not experience it in the future when I'm able to upgrade to the IE80.

It's on the higher side.  I have many IEMs with driver flex, it doesn't really do much for me though.  Most are just a click rather than a crackle.  Many have none whatsoever. It really depends on the tip selection, insertion technique, IEM and ear shape more than anything.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #83 of 154

Quote:

If I would compare M4 to my other earphones and consider the fact they are broken it's terrible.
biggrin.gif
Well, I haven't experience any driver flex with my IE80 yet, and I hope I won't.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #85 of 154
I recently picked up a pair of these for $28 on Amazon and am very impressed, even though have not had time to do much burn in yet.  The Comply tips work best for me.  It's a fun sound signature and a pretty wide soundstage.  Has strong enough mids to work even on classical.  For the price, I am a happy customer.  Occasional driver flex, which reminds me of Monster golds I used to have that had a lot of flex.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #86 of 154
I listened for a few hours today and I must say that they do perform well for the price. They isolate even better then my Hisound Crystals, with stock single flanges!

The driver flex is only when you insert, move them in your ears. I only noticed flex with these IEMs and with a pair of X-ears and both were very sensitive as well. But it's probably coinsidence.
The sound signature is on the fun bassy side but treble is good and comes out when needed. Bass is a bit too much for me, vocals come up front but are sometimes overwhelmed by the bass.

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #87 of 154
Not sure if it's my ears or the new M4's I just got, but they sound terrible to me.

I ordered the M4's and a pair or Soundmagic e10 at the same time, and I am A-Bing them.
The M4's sound echo-y and thin, lacking in depth and separation. While in comparison the e10's are very energetic, rich, and dynamic sounding.

Is my problem that I am comparing them to a much different IEM, or is there something wrong with my M4's?
What is the M4's sound signature? I just don't get the positive reviews for these at their price point.

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #88 of 154

Quote:
Not sure if it's my ears or the new M4's I just got, but they sound terrible to me.

I ordered the M4's and a pair or Soundmagic e10 at the same time, and I am A-Bing them.
The M4's sound echo-y and thin, lacking in depth and separation. While in comparison the e10's are very energetic, rich, and dynamic sounding.

Is my problem that I am comparing them to a much different IEM, or is there something wrong with my M4's?
What is the M4's sound signature? I just don't get the positive reviews for these at their price point.

M4s have a V-shape to them.  Energy, and dynamics are in the midrange (which is what the M4s can lack somewhat). 

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #89 of 154

Well, there are only 2 explanations and solutions for your case assuming you get a good fit with M4 and have a good source:
1. Let them burn-in and see how their sound has changed for you.
2. Maybe you are not used to M4's signature. So you need to give it a couple of days. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back