[REVIEW] Brainwavz M2 - beyond gamma
Jul 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #106 of 124
Thats really sad.. Brainwavz M2 is my favourite of all IEMs I have including Sony MH1C

M2 is musical. I mean when I listen to any song which I don't like then M2 won't allow me to change track, I will be tempted to listen to the track till the end and then change it. 

@mp4nation, please take care of this... We want the good old M2 back

If there is any good batch, I am willing to buy 2 or 3 pieces to cover up for the next 3 to 4 yrs

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #108 of 124
  Yet another amazing review by the IEM guru ClieOS .So perfect and to the point .

I was fortunate enough to receive a pair M2s, from Mp4 Nation for reviewing it on the Indian forums and I am already impressed by it's sound .:D  Here are my First Impressions .

A hands-on preview on the M2s.

The IEMs are built of  metal housing (no plastic used).A portion of the housing has a very thin rubberized coating in black.The overall build of the IEMs is lot more sturdier than their Brainwavz Pro as well as other IEMs in their segment.The design is a generic IEM design and can be worn over the ear as well as straight down.I prefer wearing it over the ear for a better fit especially while traveling.

The cable is fairly thicker than most cables and also has a braided sort of effect which I can't really explain by words but you can check it out in the snaps below .The cable feels a bit stiff but is really strong,infact I feel it's the best cable Ive seen in a 50-60$ IEM. It does retain its shape most of the time .eg : The cable  remains curled up / rounded for sometime after removing it from the round hard case.

The most important part ,Sound

I had been told that the M2s don't really need a long burn-in and it turned out to be true. Out of the box these earphones produce a very pleasing sound .

The bass is heavy but in a good way .Bass quantity is greater than PL-50s ,RE-0,RE-1 or infact almost every other IEM Ive tried till date. It doesn't totally classify as a bassheads bass because it's not completely boomy or the kind of bass that will shake your brains out . It has a decent texture which adds a nice feel to the bass,in short with quantity there's some quality as well.Though to be frank during heavy passages it does get boomy and out of control at times. There's slight lack of authority in the bass  but to expect a very accurate, textured bass from these would be totally unfair.Its the 200$ RE-252 which get's near to perfect bass not a 50-60$ IEM.
Overall the Bass on the M2s are the best you can get for the money and one of the reasons to recommend a M2 to someone.

The midrange compliments the bass pretty well .Good detailing , warm sounding and well spaced instruments .It isn't smooth and upfront like the midrange in PL-50s but more fun and musical.

The soundstage is one segment where the M2s could've improved upon .Not that its bad but not the best either.It's got good depth but isn't as wide as that on the Head-Direct RE-1 or PL-50s. The soundstage is as good as my RE-0 though so I shouldn't really be complaining.Fairly wide and deep :)

Treble does get slightly overshadowed by the beautiful bass and mid range but the M2s don't sound recessed or treble lacking .Not too sibilant and not too laidback as well. While the Bass and midrange is more upfront , the treble is placed around the bass and midrange. It actually makes the overall sound signature lot more fun and musical instead of analytical or neutral. Overall a smooth and moderately detailed treble. In comparison , not as good as the RE-0 which have the most detailed and clear treble but the treble on M2s is very well comparable to that of PL-50 by SoundMagic.Maybe slightly better  (will have to do a A/B comparison for that )

Overall with the M2 you get an IEM with amazing but slightly heavy bass , good midrange and decent  soundstage &  treble extension .Needless to say the magic lies in the lower band of frequencies.

So do I recommend it ?
 hmmm ..For the retail price of 65-70$ , I would recommend it to an extent but also advice on spending another 15-20$ and get something from an upper tier. At the pre-order price of just 49$ , I would say they are a steal .Highly recommend them :D If you are one of those who've been waiting to get rid of your PL-30s, EP-630s etc and upgrade to a mid segment IEMs  or incase you've always felt that the PL-30s lacked bass  go ahead  and buy the M2s before the pre-order ends.

Hope you guys find it helpful.

Very nice review! I want to buy an earphone for jazz and electronic music. So I want bass and tremble, together with quality! I was searching among Brainwavz M2, Soundmagic e10 and Vsonic VSD1s, in this budget of money. What do you suggest?
Thanks beforehand!

Chris

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #109 of 124
I've had the pleasure of listening to the Brainwavz M2s for the past two days. These physically remind me of Sony Ex IEMs except that the M2s have a smaller housing and no crooked nozzle. They seal very well and are comfortable for long periods. While the style lends itself to an over-the-ear orientation, I could not get a sufficient "bass" seal this way. They are definitely a step-up from the Betas with much better bass response and imaging. My 24 hour burn-in was inconsequential... they were good right out of the box.

ClieOS is dead-on by describing them as warm and smooth. Bass to low mids are awesome, but treble extension is a little lacking. These are the kind of IEMs that you can listen to all day without auditory or physical fatigue. If they had a mic, they'd be iPhone perfect, as my iPhone pairs very well with them. They also amp well with my BB2.02 and my new fred_fred portable (more on this baby, later). While the phones need no amping, they sound great with both of my portable amps. They are as clean sounding as my S4s, though warmer with a smaller stage. These are great phones for rock/electronica and country and can easily isolate you in high noise areas like the bus or train. These are "keepers" for sure... More to come!

I want to ask something. I would like to buy someting in this budget and I am among M2, RHA MA350, VSD1S and Soundmagic E10. I listen to jazz and electronic music. They say that E10 is superb but I am afraid of the quality, or for the MA350 that doesn't have much bass as well as that the cord cause terrible microphonics. I would like to hear your opinion or any other suggestion. Thanks in advance!

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #110 of 124

For jazz and electronic music would you suggest the M2?
Thanks

If you are looking for more analytical sound to enjoy the purity of Jazz then M2 is not for you

To answer your question, M2 is good for all genres including Jazz and Electronic but their purpose is different. With M2 you will enjoy the music and not the recording

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #111 of 124
If you are looking for more analytical sound to enjoy the purity of Jazz then M2 is not for you

To answer your question, M2 is good for all genres including Jazz and Electronic but their purpose is different. With M2 you will enjoy the music and not the recording

What else do you suggest for these kind of music?

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #112 of 124
What else do you suggest for these kind of music?

For Jazz best is Monster turbine Miles Davis tribute but I'm not sure if they are available now

I don't normally listen to electronic music, but I assume it will have v-shaped characteristics, in that case Sennheiser IE8 is good with one of the best soundstage

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #113 of 124

For Jazz best is Monster turbine Miles Davis tribute but I'm not sure if they are available now

I don't normally listen to electronic music, but I assume it will have v-shaped characteristics, in that case Sennheiser IE8 is good with one of the best soundstage

Yeah...except that it cost like 6 or 7 times more than the price range hriki is looking at.

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #114 of 124
Yeah...except that it cost like 6 or 7 times more than the price range hriki is looking at.

Yes that's right. I am sure that these two are very good but I can't afford to buy them..
I am among M2, Vsd1, Vsd1s and Soundmagic E10. I use my ipod classic and I listen to electronic music and jazz.
If you can help me to decide. Thanks a lot!

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #115 of 124
Welp, I guess today is just not my day.
Bought M2 from mp4nation as a gift to my friend who lives in another city. They shipped today, and left earpiece is not working at all :frowning2: Holy cow I'm so upset, that was supposed to be a birthday present.
Created a ticket in mp4nation support, what to do now? I guess my friend has to send broken pair back to seller or...?

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #116 of 124
Welp, I guess today is just not my day.
Bought M2 from mp4nation as a gift to my friend who lives in another city. They shipped today, and left earpiece is not working at all :frowning2: Holy cow I'm so upset, that was supposed to be a birthday present.
Created a ticket in mp4nation support, what to do now? I guess my friend has to send broken pair back to seller or...?

Thats not good.....well you can wait for the response how they want to handle first.....as its their call.

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #117 of 124
Well, support at mp4nation is nice and fast to respond. Sent them photos of broken M2s cut into many little pieces, and they promised to send a replacement in 24 hours. I just hope another pair will be good :)

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #118 of 124
So, after couple weeks (russian post is always that "fast", yeah) my friend received a new pair of M2s from mp4nation. And now they do work fine.
After all, I'm a bit unhappy with my bad luck and that delay, but quite pleased by mp4nation support service. And my friend tells me that M2 sound really good. Can't wait to hear them myself :)

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #119 of 124
M2 is my first IEM in the audiophile world...i liked it very much and thought I will try some other headphones then bought others in the following order

Thinksound TS02 (good but not satisfied)
Sony MH1C (liked it but still not satisfied)
Sennheiser PX100 II (Headphone though...still not satisfied)

Then bought M2 again as my old one was not in good condition but I lost it in few months

then tried vsonic VSD1S (almost liked it but again...)

then bought Fidelio M2BT headphone (good but not satisfied)

atlast bought my 3rd pair of M2 again....I don't know why.... I don't like any other IEMs or headphones as much as M2

the dynamics, natural mids and smooth highs ..are great compared to others

I want to try some other IEMs but I'm afraid i will be just wasting my money

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #120 of 124
Bottom line is it's really a matter of what you like and how your ear perceives the sound. Try Sennheiser IE8, those are really nice, worst case you can always sell them used and still get your money back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back