[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Nov 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #1,396 of 1,750
HI, I own HM5's and I'm satisfied with SQ of them ( though I have imbalance issue over 5 - 7 kHz region ). I want to upgrade these headphones, I'm looking to HiFiMAN headphone line. Could you please help me: is HE300 or HE400 a good upgrade over HM5? If no: what can you suggest? In HM5's the only concern I have is treble and soundstage...
Thank you.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #1,398 of 1,750
Please clarify exactly what you mean by this.

The treble is OK in terms of reality/ clarity but for me it is recessed over base and midrange ( maybe because I am analytical listener ). About the soundstage: I don't know how to describe that, something is wrong there.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #1,399 of 1,750
Quote:
The treble is OK in terms of reality/ clarity but for me it is recessed over base and midrange ( maybe because I am analytical listener ). About the soundstage: I don't know how to describe that, something is wrong there.

I felt the same way, both about the treble and the soundstage.

I only owned the "rev1" HE-300's, but I found them also to have recessed treble. Measurements on InnerFidelity suggest roughly similar treble response relative to the bass with the "rev2," but take my words with a really big grain of salt. Maybe I shouldn't be saying anything at all, haha. I found the soundstage on the HE-300 (rev1 at least) also to not be quite "right."

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #1,400 of 1,750
I felt the same way, both about the treble and the soundstage.

I only owned the "rev1" HE-300's, but I found them also to have recessed treble. Measurements on InnerFidelity suggest roughly similar treble response relative to the bass with the "rev2," but take my words with a really big grain of salt. Maybe I shouldn't be saying anything at all, haha. I found the soundstage on the HE-300 (rev1 at least) also to not be quite "right."

My HM3's ( which are 2 times cheaper and are from same OEM as FA004 ) have much more better soundstage/ instrument separation. Even treble isn't so much recessed. The bad thing that ruins everything is that the treble isn't sharp/ crisp/ natural etc. It is present but it sounds very very cheap.
So I am looking for a headphone which will have a good treble extension...

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #1,401 of 1,750
Quote:
My HM3's ( which are 2 times cheaper and are from same OEM as FA004 ) have much more better soundstage/ instrument separation. Even treble isn't so much recessed. The bad thing that ruins everything is that the treble isn't sharp/ crisp/ natural etc. It is present but it sounds very very cheap.
So I am looking for a headphone which will have a good treble extension...

Maybe you should look at the Beyerdynamic DT 880/990. May be a little bright for some, but have excellent treble extension. The AKG Q701 is another to look at, their treble extends quite well from what I read.

Dec 2, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #1,403 of 1,750
After using the Brainwavz HM5 on my new amp for a while, I think I may of been a little too hard on them, they don't sound excessively dark anymore. Sure they lack some detail and definition but on my Hifiman ef2a with the stock tubes(which are bright-sounding) they actually sound quite decent on it and I now rank them as my second best headphone when hooked up to the amp, they do still have oddities in their sound and still sound straight up unnatural in some songs but the extra brightness from the tubes really helps with their overall sound. Only reason they are rated number 2 is because the AKG K514 MKII has excessively harsh treble and way too much sibilance with a small amount of bass, if the AKGs had more bass and had their treble tamed, they would be far better than the HM5s. It seems amping and synergy really do matter more than I thought. Now I just need some tubes that aren't so bright for my DT 990s and I will be completely satisfied in terms of audio for a long time.

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #1,404 of 1,750
FYI they are on sale for 99.50 at mp4nation until DEC 14 2012!
so just ordered a pair for portable use. my in ears keep braking (cable).

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #1,405 of 1,750
I've had a pair for about a week now, and all of the sudden, it sounds like I have no bass coming out of the right channel. Anyone run into this problem and have a fix? Should I take it apart and find a loose part? I swapped the cable side, and it is definitely something within the cup. 

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #1,406 of 1,750
I've had a pair for about a week now, and all of the sudden, it sounds like I have no bass coming out of the right channel. Anyone run into this problem and have a fix? Should I take it apart and find a loose part? I swapped the cable side, and it is definitely something within the cup. 

I owned 2 HM5's and both of them were struggling from channel imbalance. First one had bass problem on left channel, I returned it back, they RMA'ed it and I got a new one. The new one had high-mid and treble problem, again on left channel. BTW same problems ( both left and right channels ) with Brainwavz B2 IEM's which were my favorite..
I think I'll never buy products from Brainwavz or other minor Chinese brands...

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #1,407 of 1,750
:) well hm5 is not exactly bypassing those $300-500 headphones... or actually at the same of hd600.. what I can say is that I love my hm5.. tho mine is modded already with wood cups and external canare cable. 

Would you share the cost and the retailer which sells this or similar cable? What kind of cable is this actually is? Thank you.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #1,408 of 1,750
I would also like to know where you got your wood cups, and am interested where you secured the Canare cable for the HM5.   As these have been broken in, I really like the sound, just wish the mid would be a little more forward.  I think I am going to get an JDS Labs C421 (OPA 2227 version) to correct that, but any amount I can squeeze out of these is welcome.  

Interested to hear more about your re-cable, and where you got the wood cups separately.

Thanks, Kevin

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #1,409 of 1,750
I am almost decided on getting Audioquest Dragonfly with HM5. I want to hear more musicality from them as they are a bit cold and boring for my taste (I have listened very few HP including: ATH-A500X and ATH-M50; I loved A500X, especially how comfortable they are). I hope Dragonfly is gonna work well with them, cuz ~250$ is the very most I can spend on DAC/AMP. I also want to get Shure velour pads and cable if possible. That would squeeze most of what HM5 can give you I think.

I think it is useful to say that I listen to ambient music: Brian Eno as the favorite artist, I also like soundtracks of Angelo Badalamenti and I love Jazz/Soul music: Nina Simone as one of the favorite artist.
Maybe I should start looking for another pair of HP because HM5 won't fit this kind of music or just make a more sober conclusion after pairing them with Dragonfly? (-:

I heard a lot of nice words about German Maestro GMP 400 as they have a beautiful musical sound. But they are 300Ohm, so I worry if Dragonfly AMP could handle them.

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #1,410 of 1,750
Quote:
I am almost decided on getting Audioquest Dragonfly with HM5. I want to hear more musicality from them as they are a bit cold and boring for my taste (I have listened very few HP including: ATH-A500X and ATH-M50; I loved A500X, especially how comfortable they are). I hope Dragonfly is gonna work well with them, cuz ~250$ is the very most I can spend on DAC/AMP. I also want to get Shure velour pads and cable if possible. That would squeeze most of what HM5 can give you I think.
I think it is useful to say that I listen to ambient music: Brian Eno as the favorite artist, I also like soundtracks of Angelo Badalamenti and I love Jazz/Soul music: Nina Simone as one of the favorite artist.
Maybe I should start looking for another pair of HP because HM5 won't fit this kind of music or just make a more sober conclusion after pairing them with Dragonfly? (-:
I heard a lot of nice words about German Maestro GMP 400 as they have a beautiful musical sound. But they are 300Ohm, so I worry if Dragonfly AMP could handle them.

I have not heard the Dragonfly but I find that the Fiio E11 with the bass bost on 1 makes the HM5 a lot more fun. I also find them to work well with the Nuforce udac2, I actully enjoy them most with the udac2 feeding the E11 from the rca out. I don't like them at all through my Little Dot 1+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back