[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Apr 27, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #1,096 of 1,750

Quote:
Anyone know this?

I say just listen and enjoy. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #1,097 of 1,750
Stop making sense.  Next you'll tell people something like "enjoy the music, stop worrying so much about the minutest details of the headphones..."

wink_face.gif

Quote:

I say just listen and enjoy. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #1,098 of 1,750
I'm asking because right now i like them, but i dont feel the bass as much as i want to. Sure i can hear it but i dont really feel it without EQ(even that doesnt work a whole lit bc then i feel the mids and highs get a little recessed) so im wondering if further burn in helps the bass hit harder or other effects to overall preformance. Right now im at around 15-20 hrs(includes causal listening)

Apr 28, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #1,099 of 1,750
Hey fellow HM5 owners,
I just ordered my set of the Brainwavz HM5 from Mp4nation.net.  I really liked my friend's FA-003 that I put a Mogami 2534 cable on, so I thought I would get a set of the HM5.  The comfort of the pads is what sold me and the build quality for such a cheap headphone.  I was expecting like a $350 dollar headphone but after hearing the price I was shocked.  I had my T50RP, so I felt really no need for getting these.  But after searching everywhere to find the earpads for them, I finally gave in and bought a set of them.  ANYWAYS, I am going to read every post in this thread to find out what kind of mods I want to do to them.  Right now my current setup is PC > Fiio E10 > Schiit Asgard > Sony XB500 (bass), Audio Technica ES-7 (balanced), Brainwavz HM5 (neutral).  The ES-7 are mainly my portable headphones, but they sound amazing and I enjoy listening to them.  But the HM5 are going to replace those for home use mainly because of comfort issues.  Basically, my main post here is to find out whether or not I should put these HM5 into wooden cups.  Normally with ugly sets such as the T50RP I wouldn't have a problem.  After finding out how much better overall the sound was after putting those drivers into wooden cups, I wanted to see if the results were the same for these.  The Sony XB500's already have an insane amount of bass for my needs, so I don't want another headphone with similar or near that amount of bass.  My fear is, if I put these into wooden cups, they will be more like the ES-7 and more balanced.  I would like to have a set that is more neutral to accompany my XB500's and use one for listening for details and the other for bass.  Thank you!

Apr 28, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #1,101 of 1,750

Quote:

That's just the way these headphones are IME. 

Quote:

I don't think I remember anyone putting the wooden cups on the HM5 specifically. For that I think you want to try the FA-003 thread or perhaps just try the plain FA-002w thread.

Apr 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #1,102 of 1,750
Well so far i'm liking them but for some reason i seem to be craving for a more "feel" bass rather than just the "hear" bass the HM5s has. This seems odd considering that i sold my M50s because their bass was too overpowering. Perhaps that was only because the vocals were recessed, which isn't a problem with the HM5s. Even so, when I raise the bass in the 100-300Hz it helps the "feel" part a little but vocals get a little recessed as a result. So for now I'm just burning them in further and keep trying new EQ frequency responses I like.

Apr 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #1,103 of 1,750

Quote:
100-300Hz

Try going lower. The frequency response of these is already a little accentuated in that region, so boosting it further may just make it kind of muddy and affect the mids like you said. If it were me I would just boost 300 Hz a little bit as there is a dip right around there. I find that helps with being able to hear more detail and texture in the low end. Then try bumping at 40 Hz or maybe 60 Hz. That's where the "real" (deeper) bass is. I found that to help give it a little more impact/feeling.

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #1,104 of 1,750

Quote:
Well so far i'm liking them but for some reason i seem to be craving for a more "feel" bass rather than just the "hear" bass the HM5s has. This seems odd considering that i sold my M50s because their bass was too overpowering. Perhaps that was only because the vocals were recessed, which isn't a problem with the HM5s. Even so, when I raise the bass in the 100-300Hz it helps the "feel" part a little but vocals get a little recessed as a result. So for now I'm just burning them in further and keep trying new EQ frequency responses I like.

I put FA-002w Wood cups on my HM5, it adds bass a lil bit, however what it changes dramatically is the soundstages It will smooth out the high, and gives a bit warm coloration on the overall sound. I use the beech 8 step. So i have no idea how other different material cup sounds like.

If you asking me if I like it? yes I like it very much.. I still like the original sound, however every time I put on the original cup I changed it back to the wooden cups in like 1-2 hours listening. Now if you want more impact on the bass, I use fiio e17 and add up the bass on it. It helps a lot in my case. 

May 1, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #1,106 of 1,750
Quote:
Another quick question.  Has anyone performed an open-back mod on the HM5 yet or FA-003?  How does it sound?  I know the T50RP has some pretty bad reviews being open-back so I was wondering if I am going to ruin my HM5 by trying to make it semi-open or not.  Thank you!

I've listened to them open-backed. In some ways the sound improved a lot, but overall it just sounded completely horrible...

May 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #1,108 of 1,750
Started using the music app native to the iPod and for some reason it sounded a lot better than EQu. Just more detail and instrument separation really. Now all I'm worried about is how loud i can listen to them without damaging my ears. 

Side note: brought these to school and got like 20 kids in my class wanting to try them out. They asked me where i got them and even offered to buy them from me after they listened to them. These were the "beats" crowd mind you. So i felt i had a great successful in convincing them they were better than beats in all areas except maybe portability and looks.

May 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #1,110 of 1,750
Quick question: If I have a apple lossless quality song and convert it to AAC(so it can work with soundcheck), will it affect quality at all, even when it says the kbps drops to 256? to my ears i can't very much of a difference but i want to know is there one at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back