[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Apr 14, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #1,036 of 1,750
Good information that tends to confirm my plan to us my HM5 primarily as air and general noisy travel cans.

Did a test run before the flight while vaccuuming the house, I couldnt tell if the vaccuum was on while using the HM5s

Bass-wise, I found them to have more feel than I expected but am more impressed with their accuracy.

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,037 of 1,750
HD25 and HM5 are two totally different phones, one is V shaped, the other is more balanced, it is really up to people's preference as to which one is better.

Quote:
My housemate just got a pair of HD 25-1 II (Adidas). They only had a few hours of burn-in.

I tried them, here's some impressions of HD 25-1 II compared to HM5. The first thing I noticed with the Senny's was a veil, and the bass is muddier. (Hopefully, those two aspects will go away with a lot of burn-in.) I feel the bass is bleeding into the mids/vocals, which sort of makes it sound congested. The bass quantity is about the same in both of them (maybe a tad more in the Senny's).

Next, I noticed the harshness of certain songs when using HD 25-1 II, which was also apparent when I had the Creative Aurvana Live!. HM5 's treble is very smooth instead with no hint of sibilance or harshness. The frequency response seems to agree with my assessment; there's a peak at around 8-10kHz according to innerfidelity's graph for HD 25-1 II. This slight harshness doesn't really bother me at all though. Only with the help of HD 25-1 II, I have realised how airy HM5 is. (I guess some people could say they are hollow, I say airy and 3D) Thus, HM5's soundstage is notably bigger.

I love the light weight of such portable headphones, without much sacrifice in SQ. I admit HD 25-1 II is the more comfortable of the two and long hours of listening would be easier on my ears.

He got the Adidas for AUD$150 (very good price I think); I guess I got a better deal on the HM5s. Not as portable nevertheless. On a side note, he aslo showed me his vibrating cheapo ($5, big sale) headphones, he says he uses those for movies. The vibrating part is certainly interesting, yet distracting at the same time. A lot of distortion and muddy as hell.

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #1,039 of 1,750
Exactly! if you A/B a phone with great soundstage with a phone with more upfront sound signature. You will feel like the soundstage translates to "hollow and distant". there is no good or bad in this case, it is all up to the people's subject preference.

Quote:
Concur. 
beerchug.gif

Again wasn't trying to worry anyone, haha. AD2000 vs HM5 is somewhat of an apples to oranges comparison anyway. My "cavernous and distant" could turn out to be somebody else's "great soundstage," and my "natural" might be somebody else's "dry."

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #1,040 of 1,750
I've been adding more and more FLAC files to my iPod library and i must say with these headphones are impressing me so far when listening to them. I've burned them in at least 10-15 hrs now and I am happy knowing that these reportedly only get better as burn in reaches close to 100hrs and beyond. I am also using an E6 amp in conjunction with my iTouch 4G and while it isn't a massive improvement, but it still does its job at clearing the signal relatively well. Ordered a FiiO L3 cable to make the SQ even clearer hopefully. The EQu app is also being utilized on these cans as well so i can change the frequency response a bit to my liking. So in summary this is my set up so far:

HM5s (about 10hrs of burn in so far)
FiiO E6 (Flat EQ)
iPod Touch 4G (EQu App + 256-FLAC files)
Soon to come: FiiO L3 Cable

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #1,041 of 1,750
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. Lucky I'm not the only one. The guy who uploaded that is my favourite music uploader on youtube. Normally his stuff is ok (he's the only one with good nightcore), but that was just terrible. Thought it was my headphones and was like "...oh lord, are the broken?".
Lucky they aren't, and i can go on being happy :p

Am I understanding correctly that Youtube is your primary source for listening to music? If this is the case you need to stop this, or stop worrying about upgrading your headphones.

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #1,042 of 1,750

Quote:

Am I understanding correctly that Youtube is your primary source for listening to music? If this is the case you need to stop this, or stop worrying about upgrading your headphones.

Hahahahahaha. Noooooooo.
It's only my primary source for this genre of music. Nightcore isn't really sold over the counter at any store, nor do I want to get it on itunes. The genre is mainly fan made, which is why i have to use youtube. 90% of my music collection is .flac files; I have some idea of what I'm doing :p
For normal songs, I would get .flac files of it, unless it was a live performance that wasn't recorded, which is when i go to youtube :p

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #1,043 of 1,750

Quote:
Hahahahahaha. Noooooooo.
It's only my primary source for this genre of music. Nightcore isn't really sold over the counter at any store, nor do I want to get it on itunes. The genre is mainly fan made, which is why i have to use youtube. 90% of my music collection is .flac files; I have some idea of what I'm doing :p
For normal songs, I would get .flac files of it, unless it was a live performance that wasn't recorded, which is when i go to youtube :p

Oh, okay. Gotcha!

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #1,044 of 1,750
If I had only $150 to spend on one pair of full sized headphones, I'd pick these for sure. Really fantastic for the money.

Wonder how they compare to the 8400, can anyone chime in? Scratch that, anyone interested in a 8400 vs HM5 comparison?

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #1,046 of 1,750

Quote:
HD25 and HM5 are two totally different phones, one is V shaped, the other is more balanced, it is really up to people's preference as to which one is better.

You're right. HD25 sounds like CAL!. But I don't know how they would compare as I can't A/B them.

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #1,047 of 1,750

Quote:
Man, you guys make these sound so fantastic. I'm getting tired of waiting, damnit!

I think i had to wait close to two months for mine. but they were worth it :D
My setup will be similar, but i'm going to be using the sansa clip zip for the custom EQ :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back