[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Apr 5, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #961 of 1,750
Quote:
True.  Opinions can vary by quite a wide margin.  However, with the Fostex T50RP, one can basically purchase the Shure 840 replacement ear pads, the PaxMate or Silverstone along with the Plastix clay to perform the necessary modifications - yet, stay under the price of $119.00 (U.S. $$).

Don't forget that the T50RP requires a much more powerful amp than the HM5s will, especially when modded.

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #962 of 1,750

Quote:
Quote:

Don't forget that the T50RP requires a much more powerful amp than the HM5s will, especially when modded.

Correct - to a point.  My T50RPs while slightly less efficient being a planar style headphone with modifications is a bit harder to drive, but not impossible.  The Objective2, the HifiMAN EF-2A, etc. do an amazing job.  On my HifiMAN EF-2A, I didn't  have to boost the volume level all that far to get great sound from the T50RPs vs. the HM5s. 

Don't get me wrong, the HM5 is a good can.  Many options are provided for the price that one pays.  If an individual had to go out and buy all of these additional accesories up, it would cost a bit.  Having cables that quickly unplug, allowing you to switch lengths, etc., is an excellent feature.  It also allows one to even spend some time building their own custom cable for their HM5s, using their preferred cable and connectors, if they'd like.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #965 of 1,750
Quote:
I never felt my T50RP were hard to drive.

Compared to the HM5s they are. With my Auzentech Bravura, I need to set the volume to 90-100% for music that is recorded and mastered well (not subject to the loudness wars). If I tried that with the HM5s, I'd likely damage both my ears and the HM5 itself.

I can't even use my T50RP with my S:Flo 2. Even with music that fell prey to the loudness wars, the S:Flo 2 still won't drive my T50RP to a good listening volume. Not so with the HM5s.

I'm not saying the T50RPs are the hardest headphones to drive, but they're soooo much harder to drive than the HM5s.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #966 of 1,750
I'm new to cans, I've been transitioning away from IEMs mostly due to ear canal irritation. I bought a pair of these HM5s off Amazon after reading up on this thread.

Maybe I'm not a lover of "neutral" as I thought I was. Maybe I'm a bass head.

I love the clarity, I love the soundstage, I like the warm-ness of the sound, I like the comfort. I wish it kicked a little harder though.

I'm thinking about getting the ATH-M50 as a replacement, what will I be giving up in exchange for a little more kick?

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #968 of 1,750

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting the ATH-M50 as a replacement, what will I be giving up in exchange for a little more kick?

You'll primarily be sacrificing comfort and mids. The M50s are a fun and lively listen. I don't find them that comfortable, but my wife (non-enthusiast) likes them quite a bit. I prefer my HM5 over them due to their smoothness and comfort.

Apr 6, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #971 of 1,750

Quote:
I'm new to cans, I've been transitioning away from IEMs mostly due to ear canal irritation. I bought a pair of these HM5s off Amazon after reading up on this thread.

I love the clarity, I love the soundstage, I like the warm-ness of the sound, I like the comfort. I wish it kicked a little harder though.

The M50 is a better choice for bassheads--or those approaching that moniker.  The M50 will give you a "V" EQ pattern.  They are not as laid back as the Brainwavz.

You might also want to give the Ultrasone HFI 580 through 780 some consideration.  The 580 is a basshead can.  The 780 has bass but also a more neutral EQ in a bright sounding wrapper.  At least two of the models in that line are discussed in this buying guides:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

and

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #972 of 1,750
Finally listened to these headphones. I like the audio quality and some details that the headphones reveal that I just don't get with the speakers. The problem that I have with these headphones is that they feel somewhat heavier than the HD555 that I tried before. Also, the isolation that the HM5 offers is through clamping down, which a lot of the pressure is mitigated through the large cushions but I still feel that the pressure is squeezing my head and causing some discomfort along my head. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #974 of 1,750

Quote:
Help me anyone?

Singpost's status has been DESPATCHED TO OVERSEAS for a week now, since 3/31... It shouldn't take more than 48 hours to fly to the US, what's the deal?

where'd you order from?

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #975 of 1,750

Quote:

If you're considering a more bassy pair I think you should consider the Ultrasone HFI-780 over the M50. The M50 are lacking in many areas and are really a flavor of the month headphone that has been in the spotlight far too long. The HFI-780 are bass done right with great extension and slam with a good balance despite being a v-shape. I never liked the M50 too much, they are too congested and bassy for my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back