[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Apr 4, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #946 of 1,750

Quote:
Yeah i agree, the sound is very "filled in" compared to what I'm used to.  It feels like there are no empty spaces, places where there is no sound.

That's exactly what I was trying to communicate -- there just isn't a lot of space between the instruments.  Of course, this is the first set of closed-back cans I've had in about 30 years, so I have no idea if this is typical of the type.

One thing I did notice, though, is that this "congestion" is more noticeable with rock music.  On the commute home today I listened to Massive Attack Mezzanine and the sound was not nearly as congested.  Bass is nice and deep, although definitely not as controlled as the 650s (although to be fair, I did have the bass boost on the CMOY engaged). 

At the end of the day, they serve the purpose for which I purchased them -- I wanted something with decent isolation and sound quality that I could use mainly while commuting, but also late at night so as not to disturb the missus, and I did not want to pay much more than $100. 

I'll live with them for a while and we'll see if I keep them for the long haul.  If I can justify the scratch and the reviews are good, I really am interested in those new PSBs.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #947 of 1,750

Quote:
Yeah i agree, the sound is very "filled in" compared to what I'm used to.  It feels like there are no empty spaces, places where there is no sound.

But anyways, I'm just very curious about these headphones.  If anyone just knows in general.  After taking the earpads off by turning it 90 degrees counter clockwise, you see the driver with holes around it covered by some sort of thin fiber.  What might happen to the sound if this fiber were to be removed?  What purpose might the fiber hold in terms of how it affects the sound?

My HM5s arrived via FedEx this morning before 8:30 a.m.  I was going into work late due to a doctor's appointment, but was surprised when the doorbell rang.  I was only able to spend about 20 minutes with them, so I'll  hold off on any impressions at this point, and maybe for a week or so until I've had appropriate time to put them through the paces.

In regards to the thin fiber, it could be something as simple as a dust protector for the driver itself.  Or, it could serve a more important aspect (like the Grado drivers) and if the holes (or a few of them) were opened up, might change the sound a bit.  In regards to the Grado drivers, opening a few of those mesh holes, meant for a bit of an improved bass response.  With the HM5s, it's hard to tell.  Also, if one were to open them up, it would be bad if the change were irreversible.  Since the drivers are not sold separately, one would basically FUBAR their pair and have to start over.

I was thinking through some options.  We know the cups  have some felt lining in them and the acoustic foam option is an item that might have minimal change.  But, I was also thinking of some Dynamat inside the cups.  Not a lot.  Just enough to provide some solidness to the cups and part of the baffles.  Again, though, more comments in these areas after some time is spent getting a grasp of what these are all about.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #948 of 1,750

Quote:
My HM5s arrived via FedEx this morning before 8:30 a.m.  I was going into work late due to a doctor's appointment, but was surprised when the doorbell rang.  I was only able to spend about 20 minutes with them, so I'll  hold off on any impressions at this point, and maybe for a week or so until I've had appropriate time to put them through the paces.

In regards to the thin fiber, it could be something as simple as a dust protector for the driver itself.  Or, it could serve a more important aspect (like the Grado drivers) and if the holes (or a few of them) were opened up, might change the sound a bit.  In regards to the Grado drivers, opening a few of those mesh holes, meant for a bit of an improved bass response.  With the HM5s, it's hard to tell.  Also, if one were to open them up, it would be bad if the change were irreversible.  Since the drivers are not sold separately, one would basically FUBAR their pair and have to start over.

I was thinking through some options.  We know the cups  have some felt lining in them and the acoustic foam option is an item that might have minimal change.  But, I was also thinking of some Dynamat inside the cups.  Not a lot.  Just enough to provide some solidness to the cups and part of the baffles.  Again, though, more comments in these areas after some time is spent getting a grasp of what these are all about.

Already did the Dynamat + acoustic foam combo in the cups. The stock felt seems to add more weight and rigidity to the cups than the acoustic foam alone, hence my decision to use both Dynamat and acoustic foam.

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #949 of 1,750
After two "not so good" experiences with mp4nation, I gave up trying to buy a pair.
I was part of the pre-order discount group, but after the deadline had been missed by
over a month, I started trying to contact them.  They answered my emails and chat requests
until I asked for a refund and then they broke off contact.  Since I was nearing the deadline
to file a claim, I asked paypal for a refund.  I got it in 3 days.

Couple of weeks later, I got a notice that the phones were in stock and that I could still get
the pre-order price.  Silly me...I placed an order and paid for Fedex.  After a week, I asked if they
had been shipped yet and they wouldn't answer the service ticket or chat requests. (they indicated they would be "shipped" in 2-5 days when I ordered)  so...back to pay-pal because they wouldn't
answer the service tickets on the order.  I rec'd a note from mp4nation saying "oh...you want a refund?"  OK...were' going to keep $5 of your money and refund the rest.  I'm so done with this company.

Perhaps I have unrealistic expectations...such as "do what you said you would do, when you said you would do it".  Blessings on those of you who were patient enough, I guess I wasn't.
Hibuck...

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #950 of 1,750
The preorder clearly stated the date given wasn't a deadline and that the headphones might be in stock earlier or later than the estimated date.

Quote:
After two "not so good" experiences with mp4nation, I gave up trying to buy a pair.
I was part of the pre-order discount group, but after the deadline had been missed by
over a month, I started trying to contact them.  They answered my emails and chat requests
until I asked for a refund and then they broke off contact.  Since I was nearing the deadline

Couple of weeks later, I got a notice that the phones were in stock and that I could still get
the pre-order price.  Silly me...I placed an order and paid for Fedex.  After a week, I asked if they
had been shipped yet and they wouldn't answer the service ticket or chat requests. (they indicated they would be "shipped" in 2-5 days when I ordered)  so...back to pay-pal because they wouldn't
answer the service tickets on the order.  I rec'd a note from mp4nation saying "oh...you want a refund?"  OK...were' going to keep $5 of your money and refund the rest.  I'm so done with this company.

Perhaps I have unrealistic expectations...such as "do what you said you would do, when you said you would do it".  Blessings on those of you who were patient enough, I guess I wasn't.
Hibuck...

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #951 of 1,750
First of all, I'd like to thank all of you folks for helping me come to a decision on these for my first entry into higher audio.

Ordered last night along with a Fiio E11 + Fiio L9 LOD! 

Rockbox + FLAC filled iPod 5G is almost ready; I have a new battery, screen, and face plate on the way. Thinking of DiYmod and a 64GB SSD to replace the 30GB HHD soon.

AND I JUST GOT CONFIRMATION THAT THE HM5 ARE GOING TO BE DELIVERED TOMORROW! 

Everything is coming up Milhouse!

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #952 of 1,750

Quote:
First of all, I'd like to thank all of you folks for helping me come to a decision on these for my first entry into higher audio.

Rockbox + FLAC filled iPod 5G is almost ready; I have a new battery, screen, and face plate on the way. Thinking of DiYmod and a 64GB SSD to replace the 30GB HHD soon.

Oooh ... that's a mod I think I should look into for my iPod 5 Classic / Video.  It's certainly a great sound=producer with the Wolfson DACs.  Is there also a benefit to extending the battery life when converting over to SSD?

Thanks,

Oh, I think the FiiO L3 LOD (If I remember correctly) might be a slightly better LOD for the iPOD.  It has a slightly different cable and gold contacts, etc.  Though, the price is nearly the same.

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #953 of 1,750
If you doing a pre order, or anykind of ordering from abroad, all u need is patience, i waited more than 2 months for my fiio e17 before it was sent. Bought many things from mp4nation and so far they are good to me, even when it involves warranty. The bestway would be try not to compare them to amazon, since it wouldnt be fair. Then again u can always get the hm5 from amazon when it is available there.

Hibuck...

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #954 of 1,750

Quote:
If you doing a pre order, or anykind of ordering from abroad, all u need is patience, i waited more than 2 months for my fiio e17 before it was sent. Bought many things from mp4nation and so far they are good to me, even when it involves warranty. The bestway would be try not to compare them to amazon, since it wouldnt be fair. Then again u can always get the hm5 from amazon when it is available there.

The HM5 headphones are currently available on Amazon.  

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #955 of 1,750

Quote:

Wondering why you would use a 64gb SSD over a bigger HDD considering any performance changes wouldn't help since the interface is very basic and is easily carried out with enough snappiness to be happy. The only thing I can think is potential better longevity, but for the price of a 64gb SSD you could probably get multiple 80gb+ HDD.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #956 of 1,750
I post this in another thread, but want to post them here as well. I got the HM5 yesterday and give them a good listen and got some brief impressions. It is kinda pointless to compare HM5 with D2000/DT770/M50 because their sound belong to two totally different groups, so hard to say which one is better than the other. My only interest is the comparison between HM5 and SRH840 as they are both neutral, balanced phones.

My major complaints with SRH840 is the sharp/edgy upper mids/highs, small soundstage, and mid-bass hump. HM5 solve these problems easily, very smooth highs with good extension, larger soundstage and tight, detailed and accurate bass. HM5's mids are much more refined and sweet than SRH840. HM5's might be a touch warmer than SRH840, but still very neutral, not colored in anyway. Both phones are very detailed, but without A/B comparison, I cannot tell is which one is more detailed. Since SRH840 are brighter and slightly colder, they may lead people to think they are more revealing and detailed. Also, HM5 are more comfortable to wear despite the strong clamping force. SRH840 are too top heavy for me. The short cable of HM5 is also very nice.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #957 of 1,750

Quote:

Quote:

People's opinions on these definitely vary based on what they are comparing too. I think hans030390 was also disappointed coming from modded T50RPs. But other people seem to like them coming from cheaper or similarly priced headphones, and they seem to fare well enough against some moderately pricier ones.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #958 of 1,750
I find the HM 5's sound to be neutral and almost plain.  I haven't found anything to dislike about, yet I'm not excited by it either.  As this was opening day in baseball, I'll describe it as the AA farm team of the Senn HD 600.

While it reaches higher and lower than either the CAL! or Koss Tony Bennett TBSE1 Signature Edition Headphone (spiffed up version of the ProDJ 100), I can see myself picking up either of these other two cans as much as I would the HM 5.  Both provide a less clinical listen that does the HM 5.

Bottom line: the HM 5 is a competitive sounding can in it's price range and comes with more accessories than anything in its price range.  However, it is no giant killer.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #959 of 1,750

Quote:
People's opinions on these definitely vary based on what they are comparing too. I think hans030390 was also disappointed coming from modded T50RPs. But other people seem to like them coming from cheaper or similarly priced headphones, and they seem to fare well enough against some moderately pricier ones.

True.  Opinions can vary by quite a wide margin.  However, with the Fostex T50RP, one can basically purchase the Shure 840 replacement ear pads, the PaxMate or Silverstone along with the Plastix clay to perform the necessary modifications - yet, stay under the price of $119.00 (U.S. $$).

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #960 of 1,750

Quote:
True.  Opinions can vary by quite a wide margin.  However, with the Fostex T50RP, one can basically purchase the Shure 840 replacement ear pads, the PaxMate or Silverstone along with the Plastix clay to perform the necessary modifications - yet, stay under the price of $119.00 (U.S. $$).

Definitely. I just had other dynamics in mind. The Fostex are apparently an amazing deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back