[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Mar 27, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #872 of 1,750
Today is Tuesday for those of us in the U.S.   Apparently, our shipping notifications should be coming from Amazon at some point today.  Being that I paid for the FedEx option, I'd love to see these come out of an Amazon warehouse one or two states away from me so they'd be in hand by the end of the week.  Then, I'd be good to go.

Plus, I have all the accessories to make a balanced cable for this headphone, to go high-end.

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #873 of 1,750

Quote:
So question is, are any of these so could flaws with the Frequency Response present when listening to the real deal? And even if they are, would you still regard these headphones highly?

The 300 Hz dip and the slight bump from 100-200 is real, lest my ears deceive me. It's not like it sounds horrible or anything, but it does hold the bass back a little from being all it could be. I find that EQ fixes it up pretty nicely.

Concerning the treble, I have to admit that I still find that it gives the most realistic presentation of cymbals (in terms of timbre) compared to anything else I've heard thus far. That includes the ATH-AD2000 which I recently got, though overall the treble isn't as high fidelity. I don't know about any of those other headphones, but personally I found the Shure 440/840 to be very disappointing. Both exhibited the same treble spike (makes the mids sound hard and edgy) and virtually no extension beyond that. I wouldn't consider either of them neutral even a little bit. Between that and how uncomfortable they are, I wonder why they're as popular as they seem to be :frowning2:

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #874 of 1,750

Hey wje,
I believe I know you from AV123 and Chase Home Theater forums.  I got my shipping notification this morning.  Amazon is fullfilling my order and it is coming via Fed Ex.  If you are not going to use the stock HM5 cables I will buy them off you so I can have spares.  Let me know.
Thanks,
Steve

Originally Posted by wje /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Today is Tuesday for those of us in the U.S.   Apparently, our shipping notifications should be coming from Amazon at some point today.  Being that I paid for the FedEx option, I'd love to see these come out of an Amazon warehouse one or two states away from me so they'd be in hand by the end of the week.  Then, I'd be good to go.

Plus, I have all the accessories to make a balanced cable for this headphone, to go high-end.

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #875 of 1,750

Quote:

Quote:
So question is, are any of these so could flaws with the Frequency Response present when listening to the real deal? And even if they are, would you still regard these headphones highly?

The 300 Hz dip and the slight bump from 100-200 is real, lest my ears deceive me. It's not like it sounds horrible or anything, but it does hold the bass back a little from being all it could be. I find that EQ fixes it up pretty nicely.

Concerning the treble, I have to admit that I still find that it gives the most realistic presentation of cymbals (in terms of timbre) compared to anything else I've heard thus far. That includes the ATH-AD2000 which I recently got, though overall the treble isn't as high fidelity. I don't know about any of those other headphones, but personally I found the Shure 440/840 to be very disappointing. Both exhibited the same treble spike (makes the mids sound hard and edgy) and virtually no extension beyond that. I wouldn't consider either of them neutral even a little bit. Between that and how uncomfortable they are, I wonder why they're as popular as they seem to be :frowning2:

I actually share similar opinions with you about the SRH840. The treble spike and bright/edgy upper mids really bother me. I owned and own quite a few gears and actually did some A/B comparison to confirm this. I also ordered HM5 let's see if they are better.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #876 of 1,750
Steve,

Thanks --- I thought your name looked familiar.  I guess I'm not going to get my shipping notification yet, because I just placed my order on Saturday.  I wasn't like the rest of you who have had their names on the list for a while.  Hopefully, soon, though.

I'll keep you posted on the cable(s).  Actually, I only have one system where I can push out a balanced signal and a few others where I'd be required to use the TRS jack.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #877 of 1,750

Quote:

That sounds promising. I'm absolutely fine with EQing, although it takes time and effort, the results are worth it. So far, the HM5 seems prepped to best most 100 to 200 dollar headphones. Pretty sweet deal.
I've been taking a look at the wooden cups and other mods but they have mixed or inconclusive results. I still might try them in the future though.

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #878 of 1,750
I am really interested in this headphone, but I am a little worried about the cabling. When I want to replace it, I can not find a Ysplit cable here where I live. Is there any solution to where I can buy that or maybe another solution such as a splitter or something?

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #879 of 1,750

Quote:
I am really interested in this headphone, but I am a little worried about the cabling. When I want to replace it, I can not find a Ysplit cable here where I live. Is there any solution to where I can buy that or maybe another solution such as a splitter or something?

A solution could be a regular, mono (see Manveru's post below) 3,5mm cable from each driver to one of these (dual mono): 

Make sure the 2 3,5mm cables have skinny plugs or they won't fit the HM5's drivers. 

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #882 of 1,750

Quote:
So I noticed in my tracking information is says to check it through the hongkongpost.com website.  The tracking number begins with an EA.  They also say that tracking information may not be available for 5 business days.

However, I paid extra for EMS shipping.  Is EMS related to Hong Kong Post?  I thought it was like a FedEx courier service, and that it should take 3-5 days.  I'm worried that MP4Nation may have sent my shipment via free shipping method, not the expedited that I paid for.

To all of you who opted for expedited EMS shipping, did your shipping notification direct you to HongKongPost.com as well?

EMS is just express airmail (so via HK Post and your local post handling company) not couriers. 

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #883 of 1,750
Hi All,

I received my HM-5 yesterday!
I actually received the shipping notice and the actual headphone on the same day from mp4 nation.
And wow, I like I like

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #884 of 1,750
Mp4Nation is going to start selling cables and ear pads soon.

Quote:

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #885 of 1,750
Mp4Nation is going to start selling cables and ear pads soon.

Ah, thanks for the information!
Would you recommend these for me, while knowing the music I listen to is mostly:
Indie rock, indie folk, acoustic, pop rock and a little bit (But can be neglected) dubstep?

Or would the AKG K550 be more in my alley?
I am mostly listening to my headphones while on the go, and I have a FiiO E5, But dont use it much.

And how do these headphones compare to the AKG K272Hd (or k271 mkii) (the headphones I own now)

Thanks in advance! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back