[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Feb 26, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #784 of 1,750
the hm5/fa-003/cd-880 is one of the great bang for your buck headphones, together with the Fostex and FA-011. I do think a second hand Sennheiser HD580 is the $100 pinnacle though.

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #785 of 1,750
ok, another quick update. after listening with fresher ears i found the mids were being muddied too much by the tape and that it was swapping one problem for another rather than solving any, so its back to square one. the guys at YOGA seem to have tested every possible combination with these headphones, i think the only thing that could change them for the better would be new ear pads, like the velours (which i dont have cos i got the lindy headphones with 2 pairs of leather) just to vent out a bit of bass.

im putting an order in for 6 impedance adaptors, (32, 80, 120, 150, 200, 300) so il see how they affect the sound when they arrive. should be in a few weeks, they are coming from china. im hoping it will tighten the sound up a bit, reduce the bass or let through a little more treble relative to the rest of the spectrum, but i have no experience with impedance adaptors or the changes they can cause.  really want a tighter sound just to improve the imaging accuracy for gaming. huge sound stage but not very accurate!

peace. 

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #786 of 1,750
I haven't had much success with light modding either. Honestly I just EQ 300 Hz and it largely remedies the problem for me.

I've tried both 150 and 300 ohm adapters. Plays nicer with amps now, but I didn't notice any immediate changes. Admittedly I haven't done any super critical A/Bing though.

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #787 of 1,750
Thanks for all the advice. I did look at some of the sennheisers, but they are all open, right? I failed to mention one of my requirements is closed because I like to listen to music in bed and my wife is a light sleeper.

I think the Brainwavz is it. Just need to order now.

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #788 of 1,750
I have experience in tuning the bass ports near the hinges...tried many things to eliminate a slightly underdamped (loose) upper bass to midbass region. I have tried Transpore tape, Micropore tape, cotton, two different kinds of felt, etc.

For those new to the HM5/FA-003/Lindy/Yoga CD-880 the loose quality I am talking about is only very slight (to these ears) and not on the order of more than about 3 dB, so this is nothing to be concerned about. In other words, do not let this stop you from your purchase decision! Any one of these cans is an over-the-top value.

The best solution for me turned out to be very easy and effective though others may find it does not go far enough.

Here is my method (sorry I do not have pictures):

I damped the white papery felt in the area above the driver, from the inside and only between the two screw mounts, on the driver baffle. For the damper material I chose 1/2-inch thick acoustic foam (open cell foam the kind you see from egg crate foam used as a mattress topper). The foam is found in fabric stores or craft stores and usually in large sheets. It could be colored yellow or blue or green.

I cut a circle disc approximately 3 inches diameter then folded in half and cut with scissors. Then I took one of those half-discs and folded in half and cut again, so I ended up with two quarter-round pieces. Each of these will go in each cup but will fit on the driver baffle (above the driver and held in place by the screw mount "pegs"). By experimentation, I cut the foam to fit around the driver. The foam should stay in place just fine against the white papery felt. Again, only do the area above the driver and between the screw mount pegs.

This tightens up the bass region but keeps the lowest octave and allows it to stand out more. I'm all about balance and this did the trick for me. I feel the HM5 is good like it is but needed a tiny bit of help (in the bass); otherwise I am quite happy with the balance.

One surprise for me was the 180+ hours the cans need for breaking in. The top end was a problem in the beginning for me. Too quiet and not detailed, leaving an "awww" coloration in the midrange to really stand out. It makes the can sound very closed and "cupped hands". Allowing the break in time will nearly remove this sensation (but not quite).

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #789 of 1,750
Hey im another person trying to decide about these. im coming from a pair of sr80s. i like the sound signature of the grados. it sounds like these have a lot of bass and it does eventually die down after a while( i didnt read all the posts i only made it to the 230s). would i like them? i listen to rock, electronic, and classical.

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #790 of 1,750
Just talked to support a couple of hours ago at mp4nation and they said that they will not be shipping out the hm5's until at least mid March and it could even be later. 
frown.gif

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #792 of 1,750

Quote:
Hey im another person trying to decide about these. im coming from a pair of sr80s. i like the sound signature of the grados. it sounds like these have a lot of bass and it does eventually die down after a while( i didnt read all the posts i only made it to the 230s). would i like them? i listen to rock, electronic, and classical.

The HM5/CD-880/FA-003/Lindy are not basshead cans. They're just nice and even, without an obvious emphasis in the bass or treble. They sound very different from my Grado's and I can imagine you liking them if the Grado's are too forward, harsh or if you think the soundstage is too small. The HM5 is also more comfortable than my Grados and isolates WAY more. 

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #794 of 1,750
What is up with MP4Nation and severely missing projections on stock recently?  First the Fiio e17, and now the HM5.  I hope everything is ok over there.

I need these more than ever.  I was listening to my ibuds (come on, they are not THAT bad) last night in bed (trying to take in a full album listen of Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms at a decent (read loud) volume, and my wife pokes me and says "Turn that down, I can hear every word"... really??? on ibuds.  I really need a closed set of cans more then ever.  Maybe I will pick up a pair of monoprice 8323 for $21 to tide me over until the HM5s come in again.  

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #795 of 1,750

I think the delay in part is due to the amount of time taken off for Chinese New Year.
Quote:
What is up with MP4Nation and severely missing projections on stock recently?  First the Fiio e17, and now the HM5.  I hope everything is ok over there.

I need these more than ever.  I was listening to my ibuds (come on, they are not THAT bad) last night in bed (trying to take in a full album listen of Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms at a decent (read loud) volume, and my wife pokes me and says "Turn that down, I can hear every word"... really??? on ibuds.  I really need a closed set of cans more then ever.  Maybe I will pick up a pair of monoprice 8323 for $21 to tide me over until the HM5s come in again.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back