REVIEW: Blue Circle Audio “Hat Peed Thingee” solid state Headphone Amp
Oct 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #46 of 63
Very interesting! I thought the big Cap Pack on the Hat Peed Thingee added a thickness to the sound that made it congested - but this actually tracks somewhat with your experience. Maybe I didn't try it with enough small scale music.

The advantage you have is there is a switch it sounds like - with the HPT, it had to be plugged and unplugged. Switchable is very nice!

Dec 17, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #47 of 63
haha, while i wouldnt put it past security at an airport to think so, this creature is nothing like a pipe bomb. For one the ends are open, no pressure buildup, would equal no fragmentation, also its pvc, not metal. but regardless, a pretty sweet amp. No mention of the darkness of the background? was it silent?

Dec 17, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #48 of 63
It was totally silent, yes.

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #49 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK. I got the new output modules for the SBH (better op amp)

New output modules for the SBH? Does this mean there is a 'new version' of the SBH? I believe the 'thingee' headamps use a different op amp from the SBH. Is the SBH being changed to be more like the thingee's inside?

Any info appreciated....

Dec 29, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #50 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was totally silent, yes.

Thanks Skylab for the awesome review.

I just ordered the HPT tonight and I can't wait to get it. Do you think it would be a good idea to build a small wooden rack to keep the Hat Peed Thingee from rolling around? Does the weight of the unit keep it in place fairly well? I was thinking that maybe a cheap wine rack would also do the trick.

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #51 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Silicone and shielding, well according to the attached articles silicone can and has acted as a shield.
wink.gif

Breast implants save Israeli woman | The Daily Telegraph

Breast implants save woman's life | Metro.co.uk

LOL
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #52 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by mangamonster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Skylab for the awesome review.

I just ordered the HPT tonight and I can't wait to get it. Do you think it would be a good idea to build a small wooden rack to keep the Hat Peed Thingee from rolling around? Does the weight of the unit keep it in place fairly well? I was thinking that maybe a cheap wine rack would also do the trick.

They would be perfect in a wine rack!

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #53 of 63
Quote:

Do you think it would be a good idea to build a small wooden rack to keep the Hat Peed Thingee from rolling around? Does the weight of the unit keep it in place fairly well? I was thinking that maybe a cheap wine rack would also do the trick.

My HPT amp has a PVC stand that prevents it from rolling around. The Biggie Pipe power supply does not have a stand but it is on the floor and does not roll around. So I don't think you need a separate stand.

By the way, enjoy the amp when you get it...it is a real bargain.

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #54 of 63
I auditioned this amp right before they added the impedance switches. I thought it was a wonderful sounding unit, with the exception that it didn't play nice with all my phones. Now that he has added the impedance switch, I bet it's loads better. Overall this was one of my favorite solid state amps.

As for the cap-pack-I liked it a lot. It added a bit more power/dynamics and really opened up the high end. I would consider it an essential add on.

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #56 of 63
Quote:

Great info. I wonder if Blue Circle can modify my basic configuration to the biggie power supply later down the road.

Ask Gilbert. He responds in detail quickly.

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #57 of 63
I just ordered a Peed Al Sea (power conditioner) from Blue Circle, after auditioning it from a local dealer. WOW!! This think really kicked up my system another notch. I have what I think it clean power and a dedicated line for my stereo, but yet, it made a big difference. Just something else from Blue Circle to consider.

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #58 of 63
Wow, nice throwaway amp for $1149 . You cant open it to fix it, so i guess you just throw it away if you blow a part.
*I thought RSA was bad hiding chips with nail polish, but with this design, everything is hidden!
eek.gif

I dont like the wires sticking out to the other componant tubes. I wouldnt move them too much, as it would be a jury-rig to replace broken wires id assume.

* Nothing against RSA. I think Ray makes great stuff. Im sure both are good companies, but that amp is nuts.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #60 of 63
No question - 120 hours at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back