REVIEW: Blue Circle Audio “Hat Peed Thingee” solid state Headphone Amp
May 29, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #31 of 63
Whatever you do, dont pack this in your suitcase when you go to the airport. Can you see yourself as the xray machines tring to explain your not a terrorist and your amp isnt a pipe bomb.
evil_smiley.gif
Overall i give it a thumbs up for thinking outside the box, in more ways than one.

May 29, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #32 of 63
After reading this review all I could think about is the giant, hot mess the ALO Amphora review thread has become. I think there's a very important lesson for ALO to learn - squeeze a bunch of silicone caulk into every Amphora!!

I'm sorry, but I don't think I could buy this thing. I'm all for "simple", "industrial", "basic", "form follows function", etc...but this design just seems STRANGE. To each his own...

As always, great review!!

May 30, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #34 of 63
It looks like a German WWII "Bouncing Betty"
smily_headphones1.gif

I just want to know one or 3 things Sky.....how the hell did BCA come up with the name ? Hat Peep Thingie ? OMG....
tongue_smile.gif

Some thoughts on the Cap pack...it may take ages for that pack to form maybe 1000 hours or more (depends on the caps...if they are BG's then 700+ hours isn't outlandish by any means).

Was there any details on the cap pack ..like Super E config etc ? (See Black Gate for Super E explanation or google it).

Another great review Sky. How do you manage to squeeze so much pertinent info into so few words ? I'm trying to pare down my ramblings but still manage to have way more words than needed. Effective writing is a skill that is for sure !

Oh one other observation...What about heat build up ? Is the entire tube stuffed with silicone ?

Anyway another good read Sky, thanks !

Peete.

May 30, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #35 of 63
Thanks Peete! Good point about the Cap Pack. My loaner was WELL broken in, but not sure it was quite 1000 hours. And of course I have no clue what the caps are - the whole thing is a mystery.

Yeah, the whole pipe is stuffed with silicone. But none of the components got hot...maybe the silicone helps somehow?

And yeah - I am not wild about the name either
wink.gif

May 30, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #36 of 63
Nice review, thanks. I still have a hard time getting over the looks, and would tend to stick with the Amphora or Solo SRG for something more conventional - of which I am impressed with both. I do agree about the "slightly soft sound" of the Amphora "up top" when compared to the Woo WA6 or Solo SRG, but it doesn't take away from the transparency fortunately.

May 31, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #38 of 63
Skylab: nice write up, what a ugly looking item, my main concern is that it is completely sealed up with silicone and cannot be fixed should repairs be required. I'm a bit weary how the manufacturer would repair the unit since so much silicone has been potted into the tubes. Complete replacement is the thing that immediately came to my mind.

Great review as always.

biggrin.gif

May 31, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #39 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by erzbischof /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice writeup.

I stumbled upon a link on their BC forum about this Hat Peed Thingee review. Gilbert has a few personal comments about the SP pack in particular. Certainly mileage & personal observations will vary, but in general the Hat Peed Thingee story still looks rather compelling.

www.bluecirlce.com :: View topic - Hat Peed Thingee review

-- erz

I have a lot of respect for Gilbert both as a person and a designer, and perhaps he's right about the SP Pack; however, his explanation does not account for my findings. I listened to the HPT *with* the SP Pack for a week straight without ever turning it off. I then went to the HPT with the basic PS and no SP pack, and the slight "deadness" (his words, but a good way of putting it) was immediately noticeable in its absence. When i went back to the SP Pack, I had it on for hours. So I didn't do fast change comparisons since I think Gilbert is right - that only works if you have two units to compare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevesebastianb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab: nice write up, what a ugly looking item, my main concern is that it is completely sealed up with silicone and cannot be fixed should repairs be required. I'm a bit weary how the manufacturer would repair the unit since so much silicone has been potted into the tubes. Complete replacement is the thing that immediately came to my mind.

Great review as always.

biggrin.gif

Thanks Steve. I think you're right - complete replacement would be the way to get it repaired. But with this sort of stuff, since BCA tests everything before shipment - it's hard to imagine there would be a lot of failures. But BCA is awesome about customer service. They have a real dealer network - and when I owned the SBH for a couple years it was a completely reliable performer.

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #41 of 63
OK. I got the new output modules for the SBH (better op amp) and Gilbert built a cap pack for me that has two levels of capacitance (large and outrageous). This is in a box like the power supply. It sits between the PS and the SBH head/pre amp.

I am breaking this in along with a new Audio Note 4.1x One box CD player. It sports an AN CDT II plus an AN Dac 2.1 with all blackgates + ??? (I have never seen a Dac 2.1). I replaced my AN CD3.1 x/II with the better model because.....well, I just couldn't resist.

I think they need to break in together. Give the pair 500 hours or so,playing together, and i will check back in. Problem is I travel a lot and have to shut things down when i do.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #42 of 63
I will be interested in your thoughts on the Cap Pack, Mac, since I didn't like it with the HPT.

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #43 of 63
While this gives me the image of me dropping the guts of my amp out of the window and then getting them stuck in the drainpipe, this is a pretty neat looking amp, it's pretty innovative.
Imagine a tube version of this with clear silicone so you could see it light up.

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #44 of 63
My problem with the design/materials/look of this thing is that it's hard to gauge by pictures. In real life it could be really cute and cool, or it could just be ridiculous. So you've pretty much got to buy one to find out. Unless you live close to that rare creature, the 'Blue Circle dealer'.

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #45 of 63
OK. I have an SBH headphone amp. Gilbert built me a capacitor pack that has 2 switchable levels of filtering: huge (188K) and insane (282K) = 470K when both are on). The caps are in an SBH power supply look-alike case and this sits between the PS and the amp control/output unit: 3 units in all, connected by umbilical cords in series.

At the same time I got this I also was forced by my wife to by a new Audio Note 4.1x CD player. They have been breaking in together for about 350 continuous hours. The AN still has a way to go. I can't tell if the cap pack is broken in or not. I never owned one before. I don't know how it's meant to sound.

So, I listened to various CD tracks on the system for about an hour with with the full cap pack. Then I unplugged the SBH, took out the capacitor, and plugged ther system back in and listened to different music for another hour. Then I unplugged the SBH, put the full cap pack back in the system, turned on the unit and went out for supper. I listened again when i came back to various tracks I had already played. End of experiment....forever. (I don't like "analytical" listening).

What I can say is that there is, now, a large difference with and without the total amount of filtering. I did not try the in-between amount of filtering.

Here's what is different. With the cap pack set at full capacitance the different audio tracks and the instruments in each track pop in and out like a 3D movie of yesteryear. I actually could sense physical movement with my ears when new instruments came in/went out or when a track "shifted". (I am not sure what causes the latter, above and beyond turning the volume up and down. Do they actually change mike locations? Whatever it is you can hear and feel it). The effect is very pronounced. Along with the 3D in and out movement there is also the tendency to reveal every shred of sonic evidence about what is currently popping out at you, the good, the bad and the ugly!

Is the background darker? Is there more space between the notes? No, not really (too both), because the extra capacitance seems to amplify everything and bring it more forward, both in the front and the background. So, if there's any sound, there, you'll hear it. If there isn't, you won't. On some recordings it can become creepy. Are they "bad" recordings?

What's the total effect? It really depends on the recordings. On large-scale symphonic music, I find the new sound distracting, because there is already enough going on. Cut down the size of the "group" and things really do get a lot better. Slow the music down and that helps too. Now, listen to a single performer playing a solo or with a single instrument playing in the background or one-two more, well spaced out. In this setting, on good recordings, the cap pack I have brings out the very best in my source. You wait in awe to hear yourself or someone else fart.

One last comment about how Bill Callahan sounds alone with just a guitar - breathtaking. The same with Carla Bruni. Their voices were so crystal clear and the background was completely black. As they sang, it was as if I could hear the notes passing through space...sort of like the opening of the first Star Wars movie.

That's what i heard and that's all i know. I don't plan to unplug the cap pack any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back