REVIEW: Audiotailor “Jade” Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier
May 10, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #211 of 1,002
Quote:

Originally Posted by oghoter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Jade is burning in nicely. Are there any small desktop speakers sensitive enough to be driven by this amp? Like, single-driver (full-tone)? Once you get the OTL sound on your desktop, you dont want to go back! Even if my serious listening is with h-phones, I am only human (as they say in a new Headroom advertisment) and use speakers too. I tried a pair of active desktop speakers (Sony SRS Z500) connecting the Korg Mr1 source to the Jade, and the Jade headphone out to the speakers. Even if this is of course not optimal (two amps) it actually lifted the sound a notch or two.

I try to design a high sensitive speakers Box suitable for driving by Headphone amp. It seem to be workable on short distance listening. May be for Note book computer use. It sound great and level good enough.

May 10, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #212 of 1,002
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice picture! Wouldn't having tubes add to the already insane heat in HK?
tongue.gif

^^^ Yes, but fortunately we have full air-conditioning which is great for the tubes and for me. LOL

biggrin.gif

May 10, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #213 of 1,002
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiotailor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I try to design a high sensitive speakers Box suitable for driving by Headphone amp. It seem to be workable on short distance listening. May be for Note book computer use. It sound great and level good enough.

^^^ Joesph, that would be interesting - need to find small but very high efficiency speakers.

tongue_smile.gif

May 10, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #214 of 1,002
Correction - it is not just a notch. The small Sony SRS Z500s have never sounded this good before. They have more depth, delicacy and humanness. Probably, very sensitive passive speakers would sound cleaner. On the other hand, the 500s have an adequate frequency range, are well designed, etc. Audiotailor, have you compared this to your own solution? I turn Jade volume almost to max to get the best sound, but haven't noticed much clipping problems.

May 11, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #215 of 1,002
Quote:

Originally Posted by oghoter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correction - it is not just a notch. The small Sony SRS Z500s have never sounded this good before. They have more depth, delicacy and humanness. Probably, very sensitive passive speakers would sound cleaner. On the other hand, the 500s have an adequate frequency range, are well designed, etc. Audiotailor, have you compared this to your own solution? I turn Jade volume almost to max to get the best sound, but haven't noticed much clipping problems.

Jade is not very sensitive but has good enough power headroom. So even you turn it to Max still not Clipping. I had not compare with active speakers & passive speakers. We are ordering some small speakers more sensitive. It is not arrive yet. I only test it with a normal small multi-media speakers of which have 2 1.5 inch unit. I connect it in series.

May 11, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #216 of 1,002
Found this over at Audioasylum:
"Posted by 999RBen on 2008-03-03, 07:05:45 (208.186.35.221)
I just got a ASL OTL headamp & man I dont think I have ever heard any thing so pure sounding."
Agree. Would be interesting to test your small speakers.

May 13, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #218 of 1,002
Quote:

Originally Posted by pkrdlr007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hz Joe, Does this amp have self biasing feature?.

[size=small]Jade have stock in Hong Kong now[/size]

It is self bias design. Due to output tube voltage gain is <1. It is no problem even tubs not very good balance between 2 section.

May 15, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #221 of 1,002
Here are pics of how I use active speakers with the Jade, first solution using a sausage termos for the left speaker...use what you have. Even if of course the Jade sounds best with top headphones, the effect using active speakers is also remarkable.

May 15, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #222 of 1,002
May 19, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #223 of 1,002
Further listening note: the Jade can lift the Senn 600 headphones to a correct level, while the adaption to Sony Z500 - expectedly - is more problematic. I just wanted to note the fun you can have, even so, setting up desktop speakers in the best way. Jade with matching desktop speakers, for when you get tired of headphones - interesting, wish you luck, Audiotailor. Certainly it has lifted my own speakers to new heights. However, it only sounds good on low very-nearfield-listening levels. If I ask the Sony's to take over more of the amp duty (these are active speakers, remember), the OTL advantage towards soundwise glory dies down. Likewise, if I ask my source (a Korg MR1) to compensate, there is some suboptimal sound effect (harder to pin down, the Korg sounds best ca 50 percent of 100, I think).

May 19, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #225 of 1,002
Preliminary AKG K450 listening notes - like everything i've tried, the Jade gets the best out of these. They have now burned in 100 hours or so, but from some AKG enthusiasts it is argued 400-500 hours are needed. They are not as good as the Senn 600, so far, but very enjoyable, and the price is not perhaps so steep, considering you can use them for running. Quite hi-fi on the run. They are less precise, less wide, less informative than the Senns (so far), but have a very good musical picture nevertheless. Listening to music I know well, like Kula Shaker, I think - I could live with the AKGs and the Jade and be very satisfied. "Mystical machine gun fire" sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back