REVIEW: Audiotailor “Jade” Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier
Mar 5, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #76 of 977
Yup, the jacks are 1/4" (and rear inputs are RCA). Right, it's hard to get the dimensions from the pics alone. It's roughly 10" tall total, maybe 11" deep, and 8" wide. And the power light on mine is green.

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #77 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, the jacks are 1/4" (and rear inputs are RCA). Right, it's hard to get the dimensions from the pics alone. It's roughly 10" tall total, maybe 11" deep, and 8" wide. And the power light on mine is green.

Many thanks. Jade/Green - makes sense! Enjoy!!!
icon10.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #78 of 977
Quote:

Well, I got an e-mail saying they're ready to ship (from Hong Kong), paypal'ed them the money this morning. So hopefully I'll have it in hand next week...

Pauly, when did you order your unit? I ordered mine on 12/22/08 and have not yet received notification/invoice.
frown.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #79 of 977
1/18/09 is when I first e-mailed them saying I'd like to purchase. They replied that it'd be at least mid-Feb before the Jade would be ready, and I didn't give them money until last week (Tue. I think). They were pretty responsive to e-mail (me asking impatiently when they'd be ready
tongue.gif
), I'd suggest sending an inquiry to the address that appeared earlier in this thread.

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #80 of 977
Quote:

1/18/09 is when I first e-mailed them saying I'd like to purchase. They replied that it'd be at least mid-Feb before the Jade would be ready, and I didn't give them money until last week (Tue. I think). They were pretty responsive to e-mail (me asking impatiently when they'd be ready
tongue.gif
), I'd suggest sending an inquiry to the address that appeared earlier in this thread.

Seems like you're the first to get a production unit! I'm looking forward to reading your review with different tubes!

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #81 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by applevalleyjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pauly, when did you order your unit? I ordered mine on 12/22/08 and have not yet received notification/invoice.
frown.gif

I had send email to you about Jade readyy to ship same time as Paul T. May be problem on mail server ! you had not receive it ! You can pay by paypal & ship it on Saturday or Monday. Please feel free to email me if any question.

sales@audiotailor.com

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #82 of 977
That Jade looks quite nice! And having a look on Audiotaylor's webpage, I could find some pics of the Headmonitor 2 (although, strangely, only in the Chinse version of the web). which also looks promising:

Headmoitor

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #83 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like you're the first to get a production unit! I'm looking forward to reading your review with different tubes!

Yeah, that's one of my next steps. I'll probably start by trying to find the same tubes that Skylab ended up preferring. But I don't want to rush into it, I figure I'll burn in the stock tubes first, and play around with the two outputs of the Jade for a while, to get used to how it sounds now. Then I'll do some rolling later - though I probably won't go crazy with it.
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #84 of 977
Ok the first question with tube rolling is exactly what sort of tube to use. Skylab says the power tube is 6AS7G, which is consistent with the Jade's manual that says 6N5P, and the stock tube which is labeled 6N5P. From what I understand (via google search), these are exactly the same thing, so no problem there. (As I said before, I'm a tube newbie, so you experts please correct me if I say anything wrong here.)

However, Skylab says the input tube is 12AX7 and he used a slightly lower gain 5751 - consistent with this table of the 12AX7 family I found. However, the Jade manual says 12AU7, which is a very much lower gain from 12AX7 or 5751 (again see the table). I don't see a label on the stock tube itself, and I have no way to test it to see what it actually is. To add to the confusion, the Jade manual shows a picture (figure 2) that says 12AU7 and ECC83 on the same tube - but ECC83 is, from what I understand, equivalent to the 12AX7 (and ECC82 is equivalent to 12AU7).

So, which is it? Audiotailor folks, are you reading this? Can you clarify?

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #85 of 977
If the production version uses a 12AU7 that is a change from the prototype I reviewed, which no question used 12AX7.

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #86 of 977
Thanks, Skylab. And I think I was somewhat mistaken earlier about your issue with the power tube socket - I thought you meant it was too close to the transformers, but maybe it was really that the socket was too low, below the plane of the casing? If that's the case, it's not a problem now, the top of the socket is flush with the metal case. Is that how it should be? (as opposed to being above, actually sticking out of the case somewhat)

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #87 of 977
Yes, I am sure they fixed that.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #88 of 977
Have you tried the military 6as7 - the 6080 in there?

I currently have some and fully willing to take them out of the fs section for you to try since right now I have no intention to use them.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #89 of 977
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there still promotional pricing available on the Jade? What is the total cost with delivery to the US?

Thanks,

JP

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #90 of 977
Quote:

Ok the first question with tube rolling is exactly what sort of tube to use. Skylab says the power tube is 6AS7G, which is consistent with the Jade's manual that says 6N5P, and the stock tube which is labeled 6N5P. From what I understand (via google search), these are exactly the same thing, so no problem there. (As I said before, I'm a tube newbie, so you experts please correct me if I say anything wrong here.)

However, Skylab says the input tube is 12AX7 and he used a slightly lower gain 5751 - consistent with this table of the 12AX7 family I found. However, the Jade manual says 12AU7, which is a very much lower gain from 12AX7 or 5751 (again see the table). I don't see a label on the stock tube itself, and I have no way to test it to see what it actually is. To add to the confusion, the Jade manual shows a picture (figure 2) that says 12AU7 and ECC83 on the same tube - but ECC83 is, from what I understand, equivalent to the 12AX7 (and ECC82 is equivalent to 12AU7).

So, which is it? Audiotailor folks, are you reading this? Can you clarify?

Sorry ! It is 12AX7 not 12AU7. Our staff forget to correct the diagram.
I had test it with 12AT7 & 12AU7 today. It work fine on these tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back