Review: Audio-gd NFB-7
Jun 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #46 of 201
I've been using mine for a few months now, and I'm still happy with it: it has great dynamics, good soundstage and excellent timbre.
It is not a bright dac, as someone may think because it uses the SABRE chip. It is transparent but it still has the smooth Audio-GD sound. And to be honest bad recordings are not that poor, other dacs I owned in the past were worse and made poor recordings unlisteneable. I'm enjoying mine even with a Stax 009, supposedly bright headphones.

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #47 of 201
Quote:
I've been using mine for a few months now, and I'm still happy with it: it has great dynamics, good soundstage and excellent timbre.
It is not a bright dac, as someone may think because it uses the SABRE chip. It is transparent but it still has the smooth Audio-GD sound. And to be honest bad recordings are not that poor, other dacs I owned in the past were worse and made poor recordings unlisteneable. I'm enjoying mine even with a Stax 009, supposedly bright headphones.

This

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #51 of 201
oh okay. I love my decware taboo amplifier but on certain albums (Led Zeppelin I-IV for example) 
I pretty much have to max out the volume for it to get pretty loud. 

I am just trying to find some more about the master 1 before I potentially buy it but I haven't been able to 
find that many reviews.

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #53 of 201
Yep.  IMO its better than the Wyred 4 Sound STP SE that I used to own.

Thats really great to hear that it competes and beats such a well regarded preamp, i would imagine it would considering the value prospects of kingwa's totl offerings, but its good to hear it from someone who got to compare them. Im jealous that you've got the Master 7 to go along with the master 1/3, hope i can get one before kingwa runs out of the dac chips for it...

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #54 of 201
Hey everyone, relatively unrelated question, hope you can help me!
I'm brazilian, but will stay the next month and a half in NYC, working.
Can I, as a non-US citizen, import an Audio-GD in the US?
If so, how and how much taxes do I pay?

Sorry for the question here, but since you guys imported it, i was hoping you could give me some light!
thanks!!

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #57 of 201
During the week end I had the opportunity to listen to my NFB 7.32 against two higher end sources (at least in terms of cost): the Linn Majik DS and the Linn Akurate DS. My setup:
CAPS --> USB --> NFB 7.32 --> STAX SRM 600ltd --> STAX SR 009

We've started with the Majik DS (RRP £1800), connected to the RCA input of my STAX amp. Immediately I've noticed a very different presentation, distant, but also very flat and timbrically poor. I've tried different music with almost the same result, lack of dynamics, very flat soundstage. Some instruments were OK because of added weight to the lower frequencies: cello for example wasn't bad, but still very unnatural, lacking harmonics.

We've switched then to the Akurate DS (RRP £4500). And here it was a complete different story. The Akurate still retains the distant perspective of the Majik, but it shows no defects. Stunning micro dynamics, fantastic timbre and huge sound stage. The piano was lovely, best piano ever heard. The NFB 7.32 sounds muffled in the lower octaves, compared to the Akurate, which goes lower (way lower) and has better punch.
Treble is also extended, and less aggressive. Not that the NFB sounds aggressive (it is smoother than most of my previous dacs), but the Akurate is cleaner with better instrument separation, and 'delicate' without sounding boring or lacking dynamics.

The Akurate has also a nice feature: it really doesn't kill bad recordings, or not so well recordings. I've noticed a small difference between recordings, almost as the NFB exagerates and magnifies the details in the recording, and so being more coloured. The Akurate on the other hand being more neutral doesn't highlight any specific frequency of the spectrum, doesn't dry the timbre out. It's the same fetaure I've noticed switching to the 009 from the 007 (or any other previous headphone): good recordings are good, bad recordings, even monos of the '30 sound reasonably well. They were un-listeneable with the Omegas.

All in all, it's a nice result from the NFB: it's clearly superior, to these ears, to the Majik which costs twice as much...probably more. The Akurate is better, but I'd expect so, given the price difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back