Review: Audio-gd NFB-7
May 19, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #182 of 201
  Master-7 has more impact and is warmer than the NFB-7. Denser tone and fatter bass.

the NFB-7 is ultra-clean and (slightly) faster, but it has less impact.

Really!!

Have not heard the Master-7 but my NFB-7 has eye blinking impact when required (far more than any PCM1704 DAC I have ever heard).

I certainly would not want any more impact and that is saying something from a rock/metal fan. 
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #183 of 201

Really!!

Have not heard the Master-7 but my NFB-7 has eye blinking impact when required (far more than any PCM1704 DAC I have ever heard).

I certainly would not want any more impact and that is saying something from a rock/metal fan. 
biggrin.gif

When I say impact, I mean the perceived weight of the sound during a fast change of loudness (an attack).

The Master-7 is more impactful because its bass is more rumbly (more bloom/distortion, more texture, more slam).

The NFB-7 is slightly faster in the transient, which I suppose is why you're saying it has "eye blinking impact". It is more snappy, indeed, but the overall feeling of pressure goes to the Master-7.

May 20, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #184 of 201
but the overall feeling of pressure goes to the Master-7.

In fact, i could say that i'm wanting more weight in the sound, more thickness and more texture. On this appearance, i think my V800 dac is too thin for a good appair with the balancing act.
 when i speak about more impact, i speak about kick of a drums for example.

May 20, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #186 of 201
excellent comparaison...
rolleyes.gif
very explicative for me.

May 20, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #187 of 201
Gonna use analogy:
Master 7 is more like Mike Tyson kind of punches..
While NFB 7 is more like Bruce Lee kind of kicks...

:D

Is Yggy the Chuck Norris then. :stuck_out_tongue: (run for cover.)

May 23, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #189 of 201

After reading the entire thread dedicated to the master 7, I think in some time I would opt for it rather than the nfb7. The 2 dedicated thread helped me very well.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #192 of 201
I purchased the new NFB 7 with the Amanero Combo 384 USB in September of this year and have been listening to it every day since delivery. My comments are as follows:

Software;
 A annoying but inconsequential problem with the NFB 7 and my prior NFB 27 is that occasionally and for no apparent reason, they would stop working. Cycling the power on the DAC solves the problem. I am a Mac user and this has occurred since 2012 (NFB 27) on various laptops and operating systems. The current setup is a 2014 Mac Mini, El Capitan via JRiver 21 to the DAC via USB, I have also used the Sonore Rendu Via SP/dif BNC with the same results. The bulk of my music is 44/16

Sound;
 I have had 4 Audio GD DAC since 2011 and (WM, 1704 and ES) and while they each had their particular flavor, the "house" sound of neutrality is maintained. Though this is neither good nor bad, I always found something was missing to include the current model. To be clear, the DAC is highly resolving over the entire audio range, has realistic attack and does a good (not great) job with soundstage and instrument separation but seemed to lack "air" and always caused a mild tension in the back of my head and shoulders. This is all slightly improved via the BNC and Rendu or CD transport but not transformed. 

I have had the Audiophileo AP1 and Pure Power for sometime (update by Phil in 2013) and plugged it in just as a "might as well"... Transformed. The DAC is so good in every respect including major improvements in soundstage, instrument/voice separation and it now has that elusive "air" that was always missing. Most importantly the tension in my head and shoulders immediately subsided in an almost erie "now its gone" sensation. Without delving into the religious wars surrounding which and why USB converters work, it just did. So I sent the unit (AP1 only) back to Phil for and update to his latest MkII S offering. With the MKII in the system, a slight improvement in noise floor can be discerned though there was no apparent noise floor issue before. I have not tested any of the AP1 features or functions other than as configured by Phil nor have I played with cables etc. 

It would seem that Kingwa's mastery of this chip can never really be appreciated until (pick your flavor) a converter is implemented which is irritating, but the end result alleviates all consternation.

December 21:

I did some testing today with different cables and connection options on the AP1/Pure Power. After testing options 1 and 2 from the PP manual the following emerged the clear winner on the current system (2014 Mac Mini 16GB RAM, AP1/PP - NFB 7 - Audiopax Model 5 - First Watt SIT2/F2J - 100dB 15 inch Co-Axial in A8 cabs). Audioquest Diamond USB direct to Ap1 from the Mini with a $1.95 USB to the PP. I did also try a 2.5 meter BNC SP/dif but came back to the supplied double BNC with the AP1. This combination had the cleanest, clearest sound with maximum extension at both ends and the most accurate timbre. When transposing the cables, the timber fell off noticeably. The NFB 7 now is virtually absent from the equation adding or subtracting nothing, truly dead neutral. It also is much less ruthless with poorly recorded venue and there is not even the slightest hint of harshness, glare or glaze. 

December 31:

Today I swapped a 2013 Audial Model S (NOS 1541a, 2 BNC input and 2 RCA out) into the same setup as mentioned above with the AP1/PP to compare it to the NFB 7. I have always preferred the sound of the NOS DAC and have had various incarnations over the past 10 years. The Audial had been in the system prior to the NFB 7 for at least 6 months so I was familiar with its presentation. The NFB with the AP1/PP trounced the Audial with the same setup. The NFB, as mentioned before is essentially not there, it sounds like music. The Audial sounded good but midrange centric (no surprise there) and most revealing of all, like recorded media. While this is certainly not a scientific evaluation, the difference was so apparent, no squinting was required.

Dec 30, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #193 of 201
I never tried the Audiophileo AP1 but i'm using the NFB-7 together with a Melodious digital interface MX-U8 (l2s connection) and i'm very happy with the sonic results!
The NFB-7 is performing very well with different genres of music (fast rock/metal, electronic, jazz...).
When i had to choose between the NFB-7 and the Master 7 i went for the first one because my amplifier has already slightly pronounced bass and full body (rich) sound.

Search Result

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #194 of 201
Hi,

I really agree with what you describe. I used to have an nfb7 amanero, but did not like it, so I brought it back.

Then I had the opportunity to buy a NFB27 2014, and because of the price, it was ok to keep it. But always felt that something was too harsh and tiring.

I just bought the new diU8 and put an hdmi input into the dac.

Well this is what I'm talking about: exactly as you described: my nfb27 desappear, I couldn't think that this diU8 could change the sound that much, but it's a reality.

I was about to buy a master 11, but >I don't think I need it now that I discover that my nfb27 can be neutral smooth and natural as real music is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back