Review: Audio-gd NFB-7
May 8, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #166 of 201

Yggy or Invicta?

I'm not convinced that the yggy will sound better than the AGD. I know a lot of people are raving right now, but that tends to be the case for many new "flavor of the month" products. If the reviews pan out over the next 6 months, I will try to find one on the used market to A/B on my own, but in the meantime I'm going to stay in the AGD family. 

Thank you for the input! 

May 8, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #167 of 201
falconcry,

What would you do in my case? Get the new NFB-7 coming from a NFB 3 (2014, a smaller sibling with the same chip but fewer power treatments and output stage tweaking), or go with the Master 7? In both cases, for the time being, I will stick to the USB input because the added benefits of the USB / i2S are marginal (according to some opinions here) and the cost difference is significant (USD 1,300 for a new Off Ramp 5 plus quality HDMI interconnects).

According to Kingwa, both have the same level of detail resolution, but the Master 7 sounds larger, richer, with deeper bass. I may translate that into warmer (which in my case is not good)  but I may be wrong. To me, your particular experience with the NFB 7 is an important condition of your kind/candid opinion. Thanks!

Anybody else,

What would you pick up in your own case, a Master 7 used exclusively through the USB interface or the NFB-7? Considering the USD 800.00 difference could be used elsewhere in the system (even to pay for a USB / iS2 convertor for the NFB 7), I'm hoping the NFB 7 is still an important enough upgrade from my current DAC. Thanks!

May 8, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #168 of 201
R2R is warmer, no question. Quite different from NFB-3/NFB-7. In your case, the NFB7 is the logical next step if you want to keep the same sound and improve it.

May 8, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #169 of 201
  falconcry,

What would you do in my case? Get the new NFB-7 coming from a NFB 3 (2014, a smaller sibling with the same chip but fewer power treatments and output stage tweaking), or go with the Master 7? In both cases, for the time being, I will stick to the USB input because the added benefits of the USB / i2S are marginal (according to some opinions here) and the cost difference is significant (USD 1,300 for a new Off Ramp 5 plus quality HDMI interconnects).

According to Kingwa, both have the same level of detail resolution, but the Master 7 sounds larger, richer, with deeper bass. I may translate that into warmer (which in my case is not good)  but I may be wrong. To me, your particular experience with the NFB 7 is an important condition of your kind/candid opinion. Thanks!

Anybody else,

What would you pick up in your own case, a Master 7 used exclusively through the USB interface or the NFB-7? Considering the USD 800.00 difference could be used elsewhere in the system (even to pay for a USB / iS2 convertor for the NFB 7), I'm hoping the NFB 7 is still an important enough upgrade from my current DAC. Thanks!

If I were you, I'd probably go with the NFB-7 because 1) you like the chip, 2) the USB input is more capable, and 3) it's cheaper. 

For myself, I have decided to try a Master 7. Why? Because I already own an old NFB-7 and I want to A/B them in my own system with my own ears. I trust my own evaluation capabilities much more than a review. If the Master 7 wins, I'll sell the old NFB-7; if the old NFB-7 wins, I'll sell both and buy a new NFB-7. 

Here is a brief summation of my time spent with Audio GD and a few additional thoughts:

Over the last several years I have painstakingly A/B'd about a dozen DACs in my main 2-channel stereo setup. A few off the top of my head include designs from Adcom, ASUS, Audio Research, Benchmark, Bryston, Denon, Luxman, Musical Fidelity, Oppo, Parasound, Rega, Wyred4Sound, and of course Audio GD. The (2) Audio GD DACs I've used are the NFB-7 (sabre) and NFB-8 (wolfson). 

Out of all the DACs I've tested, only (2) come close to achieving the realness of the NFB-7: a 20 year old ARC CD-1 CD Player, and a 17 year old Parasound DAC-2000 Ultra. In comparing these three DACs, you'll note that they use very different DAC chips, including both R2R and sigma delta, so what do they have in common that gives them a similar sound? Answer: excellent power supplies and analog output sections. To my ears, in my system, the analog output section of a DAC is easily more important than the chip itself. In fact, the NFB-7 sounds more similar to the R2R Ultra Analog-based Parasound than it does to the Oppo or Wyred4Sound Dac-2, which both use its same sabre chip. 

So what does this mean? Two things: 1) all DACs sound different and you have to trust your ears more than reviews, and 2) I think you will see a big improvement moving from the NFB-3 to the NFB-7 due to its superior analog section. 

Hope this helps!

May 8, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #170 of 201
Thanks so much for the prompt replies, conquerator2 and falconcry, I can't argue with your reasoning. Given Kingwa's generous self-evaluation of the Master 7, I had doubts about the NFB-7 not being quite the tangible step-up I'm looking for, but you both seem to underline the affinity of the NFB-7 with my sound quality objectives. I can always shape the sound of the NFB-7 (as I did with my current DAC) through tube rolling, an advantage when using Sabre-based DACs (IMHO).

Do you think I would be missing out much without an Off Ramp-like USB to i2S convertor in the NFB 7? I ask, because it seems to make a significant difference with the Master 7, according to Purrin and others, but have not heard the same proposition for the NFB 7. Thanks!

May 8, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #171 of 201
Sure, NFB7 and Yggy sound very different says the guy who doesn't own both...

I might be the only person who has both.

May 8, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #172 of 201

Toward whom is this comment directed? If it is directed toward me, I believe you misunderstood my post. All I've ever said about the yggy (quoted from my previous post) is that "I'm not convinced that the yggy will sound better than the AGD." Read: I haven't heard it, I don't know what it sounds like, and I do not trust other people's reviews enough to believe one way or the other. I then went on to state how I would likely pick one up in 6 months to do an A/B comparison of my own... like I always do.

If your comment was directed toward someone else, then please disregard this response. Cheers. 

May 8, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #173 of 201
It seems there is a hype right now about the Yggy, however it also looks like it is a very good DAC. So I am also saving up for one and perhaps after few months it will be clearer if it really is what the hype supposed to make it look like. Or I may just change my plan and get the M7 or DAC-19. For now, my NFB-1 is doing it's job although probably not best with HD800. Perhaps I need to hear an R2R DAC except I don't know anybody who has one locally.

Sorry if I have confused you further Musica... 
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #174 of 201
Ha Ha ..!! No worries, I've been confused all along anyway!

But, seriously, I would save money on the NFB 7 relative to the Yggdrasil, but I would not want to miss on a really big improvement, which is why I'm still hesitant either way. If the NFB-7 is really a step up (no doubt) and does this with the USB interface, I may forget about Yggdrasil for now and commit to the AGD choice.

May 18, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #175 of 201

subscribed to this thread.
I hesitate actually between Master 7/ Nfb7 /Yggy for use with my amp tube. I'll read older pages this evening.

May 19, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #176 of 201
After lots of reading yesterday, i'll resume all informations on 1 question..answers help me to make a choice.
Analytics sound isn't my favorite flavor of sound : my tube amp is already neutral and detailed and i don't want more to this way.

If i want the most Dynamic, Most Warm, Most impact Sound, which one would be the better choice for me : Yggy ? NFB7 ? or Master 7 ?

May 19, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #177 of 201
  After lots of reading yesterday, i'll resume all informations on 1 question..answers help me to make a choice.
Analytics sound isn't my favorite flavor of sound : my tube amp is already neutral and detailed and i don't want more to this way.

If i want the most Dynamic, Most Warm, Most impact Sound, which one would be the better choice for me : Yggy ? NFB7 ? or Master 7 ?

Master 7.

May 19, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #179 of 201
you will have to reach agreement together.
biggrin.gif

And of course, if my Balancing Act is definitely not a warm amp, there is no question of selling it !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back