Review: Audio-gd NFB-7
Apr 30, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #151 of 201
Ah. Actually, this makes more sense.In your earlier posts I misread you to take it you preferred the X12 to the NFB-7.

True, but the key words were in terms of tonality and balance, which I value above all, most likely. As an overall package, the NFB7 is a better performer, if you are willing to look past some things that I found too bothersome. The X12 was simply closer to my personal preference and what I wanted from the DAC. The NFB7 was certainly superior in most aspects but the few things I found annoying made me sell it. Easy as that 
smily_headphones1.gif

Subjectivity played a major role here.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #152 of 201
True, but the key words were in terms of tonality and balance, which I value above all, most likely. As an overall package, the NFB7 is a better performer, if you are willing to look past some things that I found too bothersome. The X12 was simply closer to my personal preference and what I wanted from the DAC. The NFB7 was certainly superior in most aspects but the few things I found annoying made me sell it. Easy as that :)  
Subjectivity played a major role here.

Very clear. I like how you relayed the dac back to your tastes. It indicates price should not be the determining factor. The X 12 is more than half the price less, and you like it better than the 7, because of your tastes.

Apr 30, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #153 of 201
Thanks for the comments, guys. I find everything is relative to what you have in the rest of your gear. In my case, I could not stand a laid back or 'warm-sounding' DAC, as I already have to battle warmth in my setup, and I do it with the right tube complement to make it more resolving, neat and transparent. This is why I'm considering the NFB 7, with its Sabre ES9018 chip (as in my NFB 3), rather than a more analog-sounding DAC.

There are a few recorded music exceptions where the Sabre may sound a bit aggressive, but usually these are rare cases in my music collection. So, I need a very resolving DAC, with the right speed and micro detailing that balances my warmish tube amp and room setup.

But, before spending in the NFB 7, I need some level of reassurance, as I could not take it back or sell it where I live. So, if anyone has any more comments or new suggestions, I would appreciate it very much.

May 6, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #155 of 201
Hi all,

New to the forum but not to Audio GD. I currently use an Audio GD NFB-7 (old version with no USB or I2S) with a Stello U3 USB > SPDIF converter. I want to upgrade. This is for my main 2-channel speaker system that uses an ARC LS-26 preamp, BAT VK-500 power amp, and Magnepan 3.7 speakers. I recently tried a McIntosh D-100 thinking that a DAC with a built-in USB input should sound better than 2 separate boxes, but that was not the case. My old NFB-7 plus U3 is more detailed and dynamic than the Mac, so I'm looking to upgrade within the Audio GD line. I will be using USB out of my PC for 99.9% of all listening (occasionally I use a Rega Apollo just to validate that my PC/USB solution is in fact superior to a traditional CD transport). Here are my main sound quality objectives:

- Clean, clear, microscopically detailed.
- DYNAMICS. 
- Low distortion.

My tubed preamp and soon-to-come tubed power amp will take care of "warming things up" a bit, so I want a DAC that is as close to perfectly neutral, detailed, and dynamic as possible. Here are the options I'm considering:

- Just add a DI-2014 to my existing NFB-7 via SPDIF output.  
- Get the new NFB-7 and use its internal USB input.
- Get the new NFB-7 and DI-2014 and use the I2S output of the DI.
- Get the Master 7 and use its internal USB input. 
- Get the Master 7 and DI-2014 and use the I2S output of the DI.

Which of these combinations do you think would best achieve my goals??? Really appreciate the help!

Ben

May 6, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #156 of 201
I wouldn't go the M7 route if you want those sound attributes.

It's probably gonna be hard to sell the NFB-7 so you might just as well get a better USB/SPDIF converter. I don't have experience with the DI-2014 so I'll let others answer that.

May 6, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #157 of 201
  I wouldn't go the M7 route if you want those sound attributes.

It's probably gonna be hard to sell the NFB-7 so you might just as well get a better USB/SPDIF converter. I don't have experience with the DI-2014 so I'll let others answer that.

That's what I was thinking re: the M7. Re: the NFB-7, the decision is complicated by the addition of i2s on the newer model. If DI-2014 > HDMI i2s > new NFB-7 is better than DI-2014 > SPDIF > old NFB-7, then I'll shell out for the new one and worry about selling the old one later. I bought my current 7 used for a good deal anyway, so I won't lose much on it. 

May 6, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #158 of 201
The DI was ever so slightly better than the USB input of my NFB7... But by little

May 6, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #160 of 201
  That's what I was thinking re: the M7. Re: the NFB-7, the decision is complicated by the addition of i2s on the newer model. If DI-2014 > HDMI i2s > new NFB-7 is better than DI-2014 > SPDIF > old NFB-7, then I'll shell out for the new one and worry about selling the old one later. I bought my current 7 used for a good deal anyway, so I won't lose much on it. 

The differences are small enough that you should bother with trying to buying a new one. I2S is ever so slightly better than Coax.

May 7, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #165 of 201
I'm currently still deciding among those same options, and have been tempted by the NFB-7, but it seems the Yggdrasil is a potential breakthrough. I've also considered the Master 7, but I'm afraid it may be too warm for my tastes (by others' description, of course).

So, what to do? I can't audition any of these things ... That is why I felt safer with the NFB 7 option, as it is similar to my NFB3 (2014) in type of sound, but I want the upgrade to be quite tangible, so I need to choose between the Audio Gd flagships (both the Sabre and UK chip) and the Yggdrasil. The latter is still too new for any real users reviews, so I'm on the fence waiting for some more feedback on any of these choices.  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back