Review: Audio-gd NFB-7
Jan 12, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #61 of 201
Here's an interesting question for all audio -gd experts on this forum.

I now own two different DACs from agd and I like them both. But I would love to combine both machine and murph them into one unit to harvest the respective strenghts of each unit. Which unit could that be?

Here are the candidates:

1. NFB10ES32
2. Reference 10.32

Of the first I like its dynamics, punch, speed, details. Of the second I like the natural tonality and bass extension and blacker background.

I post my question here, because something like a 7.32 in combination with a preamp could be an answer, but perhaps it also could be a NFB27.32?

Or something completely different?

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #62 of 201
Here's an interesting question for all audio -gd experts on this forum.

I now own two different DACs from agd and I like them both. But I would love to combine both machine and murph them into one unit to harvest the respective strenghts of each unit. Which unit could that be?

Here are the candidates:

1. NFB10ES32
2. Reference 10.32

Of the first I like its dynamics, punch, speed, details. Of the second I like the natural tonality and bass extension and blacker background.

I post my question here, because something like a 7.32 in combination with a preamp could be an answer, but perhaps it also could be a NFB27.32?

Or something completely different?

Short of the "natural tonality", the NFB-27 looks like what you want. Dynamics, punch (SLAM!), speed, details, imaging, black background and deep extension (to both ends) is exactly what it has.

If you want the same attributes PLUS the life-like midrange, then probably the Master-7 is what you need.
The NFB-7.32 is slightly better than the NFB-27 in every ways, but it doesn't have all the goodies (pre-amp / headphone amp) which are of great standard on the 27 (same as your Ref10). Money will decide.

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #63 of 201
Thanks for your input. This is what I was thinking too. The NFB 27.32 would be the one to get or for another few percent more of everything a combination of 7.32 and one of the preamps (master 1 or master 6-9).

What confuses me though is that you recommend the master 7 as best solution. Doesn´t it also have the laid-back sound signature of the 1704 as the Ref. 10.32??

I don`t listen to headphones and my speakers are very neutral and laid-back already and that is the reason why my system is lacking good synergy with the Ref. 10.32. If I had a high resolving amt for example it would probably fit perfectly.

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #64 of 201

What confuses me though is that you recommend the master 7 as best solution. Doesn´t it also have the laid-back sound signature of the 1704 as the Ref. 10.32??

The Master 7 is a entirely different animal.  I leaned more towards Kingwa's Sabre designs before it came out.  I think all of his previous 1704 dacs are laid back. 

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #66 of 201
  Thanks for your input. This is what I was thinking too. The NFB 27.32 would be the one to get or for another few percent more of everything a combination of 7.32 and one of the preamps (master 1 or master 6-9).

I don`t listen to headphones and my speakers are very neutral and laid-back already and that is the reason why my system is lacking good synergy with the Ref. 10.32. If I had a high resolving amt for example it would probably fit perfectly.

Kingwa told me (and it is confirmed by the reviews) that the Master 7 is better than any other DAC in every ways technically. Slam and dynamics are technical attributes.
I think the M7 lens more towards the NFB-7 lively sound than any of his other PCM1704 DACs - which are, indeed, laid back.

I owned the NFB-27 and I loved it! I now have the SA-2 but I'm planning to go back on the livelier sound (probably Master 7 + Master 9).

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #67 of 201

Kingwa told me (and it is confirmed by the reviews) that the Master 7 is better than any other DAC in every ways technically. Slam and dynamics are technical attributes.
I think the M7 lens more towards the NFB-7 lively sound than any of his other PCM1704 DACs - which are, indeed, laid back.

I owned the NFB-27 and I loved it! I now have the SA-2 but I'm planning to go back on the livelier sound (probably Master 7 + Master 9).

That's good to hear 
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #69 of 201
I also posted in this thread because your listening preference sounds exactly like mine, so I was hoping for some input from you (nigeljames)
biggrin.gif

Yes you can't go wrong with a good Sabre32 DAC if your tastes match mine. I have heard quite a few PCM1704 DAC's and have yet to find one that offers me what I want.

However the Master-7 does seem to be voiced by Kingwa closer to the NFB series than the old REF series (would be interesting to know how close) and I would be very interested in it if I had room for another 'large' Audio-gd component and was prepared to sell my NFB-7, something I can't bring myself to do unless I hear the better DAC first.

If you can afford the Master-7 then it's a very intriguing option.

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #70 of 201
The NFB 7.32 is a killer for its price, i use it with beta 22 and HD800, never get the bright sound, just super detailed, huge soundstage and wonderful imaging with smooth sound. I'm not gonna sell it soon :D

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #71 of 201
When I compared the M7 to my NFB-7.32 when both were paired with an OR5, the M7 came ahead in most apsects. The midrange and bass texture is just surreal on the M7. But from what I understand, without the OR5 the M7 wouldn't be ahead.

M7 is lively engaging sound like Sabres, but has a different tonality.

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #72 of 201
When I compared the M7 to my NFB-7.32 when both were paired with an OR5, the M7 came ahead in most apsects. The midrange and bass texture is just surreal on the M7. But from what I understand, without the OR5 the M7 wouldn't be ahead.

M7 is lively engaging sound like Sabres, but has a different tonality.

Thanks for the comparison. Just a couple of questions.

Does the M7 have a more 'distant' sound than the NFB7.32?

What is the difference in the tonality between the two?

How do they compared when not using USB?

Thanks.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #73 of 201

Thanks for the comparison. Just a couple of questions.

Does the M7 have a more 'distant' sound than the NFB7.32?

What is the difference in the tonality between the two?

How do they compared when not using USB?

Thanks.

I don't remember it sounding more distant. I just noticed that the mids were very engaging on the M7. I think tonality was the wrong word to use while pitch is better. The NFB-7.32 is more airy, spacious, crisp, and placed sounds better. The M7 just had the most textured mids of any DAC I've ever heard - heavenly. Side by side, the NFB-7.32 seemed a bit flat when we know it is far from that.

I only compared both with the OR5 via coax as we didn't have the right I2S cable for my DAC. We didn't bother to use USB32 as purrin's PC didn't have the drivers installed, but he said the stock USB32 performance is quite good on mine while it was horrible on his M7.

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #74 of 201
  I don't remember it sounding more distant. I just noticed that the mids were very engaging on the M7. I think tonality was the wrong word to use while pitch is better. The NFB-7.32 is more airy, spacious, crisp, and placed sounds better. The M7 just had the most textured mids of any DAC I've ever heard - heavenly. Side by side, the NFB-7.32 seemed a bit flat when we know it is far from that.

I only compared both with the OR5 via coax as we didn't have the right I2S cable for my DAC. We didn't bother to use USB32 as purrin's PC didn't have the drivers installed, but he said the stock USB32 performance is quite good on mine while it was horrible on his M7.

That' interesting!
I always found my NFB-27 to perform very well using the USB input and I couldn't really agree with what he said.
Now, if things are so different between the Sabre and the PCM1704, that makes sense.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #75 of 201
That' interesting!
I always found my NFB-27 to perform very well using the USB input and I couldn't really agree with what he said.
Now, if things are so different between the Sabre and the PCM1704, that makes sense.

The dacs have the same usb but Sabre DACs handle jitter better than 1704 DACs with DSP.

I'm still interested in the 7.32. I owned the NFB 1ES and loved it. I was going to buy the 7.32 but the M7 came out to rave reviews. Sometimes I miss the ridiculously effortless detail from the 1ES. The M7 really is the a great blend of kingwa's sabre DACs and the reference 7, but I think my dream DAC would be one in between the Master 7 and maybe the NFB 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back