Review : AUDINST HUD-MX1 DAC/amp - a promising newcomer (compared to Audio-gd FUN, AMB Gamma2)
Sep 13, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #166 of 418
HI! 

Well, i bought mx-1 when it was about 2-3 paged in this thread, so it's hard to read all the topic. I use it with AKG k271 and i'm pretty happpy with it. 
But i got a simple question. There's OPamps, and i wanna try ti listen to different ones. What is "good" OPAMPs to start with and where i can buy them. I'm not fan o soldering, but my frend can help me.
Is there any "best deal" opamp to this DAC or not?

Thanks. 

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #167 of 418
There is no "better deal opamp" than the stock one.
LME49860 is quite a good performer, I think the Audinst team has done a very good job selecting this chip for their circuit.

But if you're absolutely aching with curiosity you can try one of the following : LME49720, LT1364 or OPA2107.
All 3 of them dual opamps in DIP package, so no adapters or soldering required.
Ebay and Digikey are my usual sources for DIY audio parts and the only ones I can recommend.

You can also check the "For sale" section of the forum.

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #170 of 418
I just received the mx1, its such a great little device! Had a listen for few hours with the little dot hybrid. There is a big solid bass boost to my ears compared to the ibasso d10 dac, and also better clarity, vocals are more in your face. 

Anyone tried to hook this up to an ipad using the camera connection kit? Will it let the mx1 do the dac?

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #171 of 418

Quote:
I just received the mx1, its such a great little device! Had a listen for few hours with the little dot hybrid. There is a big solid bass boost to my ears compared to the ibasso d10 dac, and also better clarity, vocals are more in your face. 

Anyone tried to hook this up to an ipad using the camera connection kit? Will it let the mx1 do the dac?

How does mx1 compared to your STX?

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #172 of 418
Hi I'm just wondering how will the Audinst compare to the Audiotrak Imamp, in terms of giving warm sounding tones as well as improving the bass? I've read in reviews that the Audinst gives a neutral sound does that mean that the sound it produces would be less warm? 

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #173 of 418
Hello,

I have ordered a HUD-MX1 and tested it intensively for two days now. My conclusion is that the unit is either defect or extremely bad. Everything sounds a bit dull, mumbled and compressed. And there is a static noise or rasping sound accompanying a lot of instruments or voices. It´s not constantly present all the time, but it´s attached to sounds on the music. This is the case with USB Power only as well as with the power plug in place. It´s intensity varies.

I am extremely dissapointed by the device. My cheap onboard sound of my PC (SoundMax HD Audio) is so much superior to the HUD-MX1 that it´s a shame.

What do you think could be wrong?

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #174 of 418
In my opinion something is definitely wrong, my mx1 is totally quiet, clear, and doesn't sound like how you described yours. I don't have the capacity to comment on what went wrong, but have you tried it with any other computer? how about contacting Audinst? Where did you get your mx1 from?

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #175 of 418
Hi,

I got it directly from Audinst, but they did not yet reply to my request.
The device is quiet, there is no constant noise or anything. But some notes are accompanied by this rough, scratching noise, much like static - hard to describe.

Maybe the Audinst hast to burn in even more??

Oct 27, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #176 of 418
No, the problem's too bad to be attributed to burn-in. It might be the connections between your headphones/MX1/computer that are at fault. Otherwise, you could open it up and check the circuit board, although I'm not too sure what to look for.

Oct 27, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #177 of 418

Quote:
Hi,

I got it directly from Audinst, but they did not yet reply to my request.
The device is quiet, there is no constant noise or anything. But some notes are accompanied by this rough, scratching noise, much like static - hard to describe.

Maybe the Audinst hast to burn in even more??

I meant quiet as outputting crystal clear sound, and since mine always sounds good from the very first I don't think burn in will solve the problem..

So have you tried it with any other computer?

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #179 of 418
I had a similar problem with mine, I solved it by uninstalling the driver and then plugging the device in again to let it reinstall.  However this problem seems to come back once every month or so...odd.  The noise I had was similar to what you are describing, horrible static that made the music barely recognisable. 

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #180 of 418
Hello,

the noise is gone when I pull the volume down in mediaplayer softwares and pull it up on the Audinst instead. So it seems to be a distorton by some kind of overamplification? Though, Audinst manual suggests to set all volume meters on the computer to 100% in order to avoid compression.
Did you experience something similar?

Best
D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back