Review : AUDINST HUD-MX1 DAC/amp - a promising newcomer (compared to Audio-gd FUN, AMB Gamma2)
Jul 1, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #137 of 418
I'll try the opa627 after stock and go from there. Anyway thanks but I don't need the adapter as I got myself the opa627 already on an adapter

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #138 of 418
Received my Audinst today. Started listening with it about an hour ago but initial impressions are good. I've never had a dedicated headphone amp before and I used a Creative X-Fi soundcard before this. Compared to the soundcard, there is increased soundstage (not as much as I expected but still a good deal), more kick in the bass, and increased clarity. Good stuff.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #139 of 418
So I was able to buy these off another head-fi member and should get it sooner than I planned which is also a good thing :) I sold my uDAC so I'm stuck with crappy netbook source or clip+ so a couple days of this and then back to better source. I'm hoping these are definitely better than the uDAC and can be my new transportable dac.

Jul 2, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #140 of 418
I don't believe that you will be disappointed with upgrading your uDac to the HUD- MX-1. I had both of them at the same time, now I only have the HUD-MX1.
It's not a clear night/day difference, but to me at least enough difference to prefer one over the other. I also find the the relativity in pricing very reasonable from what my ears was able to tell me.

Jul 3, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #141 of 418
Based on the reviews I'd sure hope so :) The price isn't that much more than the uDAC and these have the ability to change opamp which is why these intrigued me and I've always wanted to try out certain opamps.

I sold the uDAC and the loss I took from the sale of them was definitely worth the time I had with them. I'll be getting these on Tuesday so will see how it goes.

Jul 3, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #142 of 418
Yes, the versatility of the MX1 is certainly a big +, with amo. the possibility to change opamps. I haven't had time play around with this option, but I eventually will.
I have as well read some of the reviews comparing the two items etc., and I pretty much agree on the conclusion of these reviews.
The minor loss I took on selling the uDac was certainly IMO worth the sonic pleasure that I now experience from the MX1. Being able to the comparing the two DAC's at the same time.
I personally had no doubt about that the MX1 was a keeper and certainly worth it's price for a portable DAC unit that I can use with a netbook on the go.. or as a stationary. 
I guess on Tuesday you will draw your own conclusion :)  

Jul 3, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #143 of 418
Quote:
1. It does improve with burn in, so much so that it has made a few of my original findings a bit obsolete.

^ good to know that it wasn't just my placebo.

on the first week it was very, very, very hard to tell the difference between this and my old m-audio card. now, after a month it's still not easy, but the overall picture is somehow much more pleasant with the Audinst. when I switch back to the m-audio I find the mid ranges fatiguing after a while. they are less open, the soundstage is also poorer. now I use the m-audio only for recording. 
I don't know if it was the opamp's burn-in, or some other components', but I wouldn't rush with the amp rolling. give it at least a hundred hours before.

Jul 3, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #144 of 418
I will indeed find out on Tuesday and should be getting a bunch of other stuff in the mail sometime soon as well so should be a pretty exciting July for me :) Although it kinda sucks that they don't deliver on Monday cuz of the holiday but nothing I can do about that.

A quick question however..what makes a larger improvement just out of curiosity? changing the opamp or using a better psu

Jul 3, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #145 of 418
i think im gunna buy on of these, theres a used one available in the UK. 
Similar question to above, can anyone recommend a decent PSU (preferably available within the UK). 

cheers

Jul 6, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #147 of 418
Maybe I'll know tomorrow how it sounds. It got to a local post office on Sunday but USPS was off Monday and for some strange reason they didnt deliver today. Hopefully tomorrow it comes

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #148 of 418
I got it yesterday in the mail and it doesn't sound too bad at all. I can't really remember the uDAC but it does seem like it is less colored. I do like the 2 outputs however as I can burn phones in while listening if I ever need to. It's a bit bigger than I expected but that may be due to having the uDAC so long and got spoiled by the size and how portable it was. I'm guessing this should last me a while as there really aren't that many transportable dac/amp that I know of not including those already in portable amps such as the D10, D4, etc since most of my  listening is done when I'm not at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back