Review : AUDINST HUD-MX1 DAC/amp - a promising newcomer (compared to Audio-gd FUN, AMB Gamma2)
Apr 10, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #378 of 418
Gang,

I wasn't  having any issues with foobar.  It has worked fine.  The issue was with WinDVD.

I just switched over to PotPlayer, though, which has worked perfectly fine.  It's obviously something software/codec related.

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #379 of 418
I see.
I normally switch to onboard sound card when watching movies because I am still using XP OS.

Quote:
Gang,

I wasn't  having any issues with foobar.  It has worked fine.  The issue was with WinDVD.

I just switched over to PotPlayer, though, which has worked perfectly fine.  It's obviously something software/codec related.

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #381 of 418
Apr 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #382 of 418
Quote:
Hi guys. Me again. I changed opamp to opa2604. It works better than stock one and better than opa627. I will try others later. But now my question is: Can I use phone as the source for it somehow? I figured out that I may use theese adapters:
http://ksiegarniafamilijna.pl/allegro/allegro/3A154793-8518-4ED9-91F2-2F86B1D87BA3.JPEG
http://img18.allegroimg.pl/photos/oryginal/22/55/20/12/2255201221
What do you think???

I don't think there's any way for you to use the Audinst HUD-MX1 with a phone; digital audio over USB is completely different than analog 3.5mm jack out.  If you want to amplify your phone you should look into something like the Audinst AMP-HP or O2 Headphone Amplifier.

On another note I was testing my USB Isolator using the following setup to check the current consumption when powering the HUD-MX1.  I found that oddly the HUD-MX1 was always drawing around 340mA of current over USB even when nothing was playing at all on my computer.  The current consumption didn't seem to go much or down regardless of volume level or even when I plugged in two sets of headphones.  I know my isolator and DMM are working because I was able to measure other USB devices hooked up just fine.  It is quite odd that the HUD-MX1 is always pulling this much current because I thought the whole idea of the auto on/off was to conserve power.

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #384 of 418
I do think that it cleans up the sound overall, but it's a minor difference compared to plugging in a 15V wall adapter vs straight USB power.

As a geek I have to find an explanation for everything so here is what I think:
Essentially if you only use straight USB power you're powering everything off the USB bus which we all know is not the best source of 5V power.  Once you plug in the wall adapter you're getting power from that for the majority of your components, but it appears that something is still using power via the USB bus as I can measure significant power draw over USB still.

According to chrisc0 in post#228 the analog section of the WM8740 is still powered through USB even with the 12-15V wall adapter plugged in.  I was unable to verify this through continuity meter testing but the HUD-MX1 is definitely still drawing power over USB even with the wall adapter plugged in.  I'm measuring about 60mA of current draw over USB by the HUD-MX1 with external wall power attached.  This is quite a bit of current and I would speculate that the whole WM8740 and Tenor USB receiver chips are receiving power over USB still.

If this is indeed the case then when you insert a USB Isolator into the loop now you're feeding these parts clean 5V regulated power which would explain the cleaner sound.  Even if this were not the case it seems that the HUD-MX1 ground is connected to USB ground so by using the isolator you are at least eliminating USB ground noise. (I checked for continuity between headphone out ground and USB jack ground)

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #385 of 418
If I want a backup power adapter for my Audinst, do you guys have any recommendations?  I'm not looking for a significant upgrade or anything.  I like to take the mx1 back and forth from home to work, and it would be nice to not have to take the power cord with me every time.

Thanks!

Apr 30, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #386 of 418
I think that more or less any cheapo 15V adapter with 500mA current output capability should work fine.  Perhaps you can email Audinst directly and ask them if they can sell you another stock adapter.

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #387 of 418

Quote:
I think that more or less any cheapo 15V adapter with 500mA current output capability should work fine.  Perhaps you can email Audinst directly and ask them if they can sell you another stock adapter.

I might do that.  Seems like I should be able to find a cheapo replacement here in the states, though.  Saw they had 15V universal adapters at Radio Shack for $30, but that seemed a little pricey.

On the other hand, I just used it at work today via USB, and it was really fine.  I might just stick with that...

May 2, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #388 of 418
So I got this DAC and having a major issue with it, I'm using OSX Snow Leopard and playing it through itunes or VLC, it gets very distorted sound and then goes back to normal randomly, I have no idea what is wrong with it...?

EDIT: pretty sure the same hing happening here. Audinst...hmmmmm one of the reviews

May 30, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #390 of 418
Quote:
Was your mac on a long 'sleeping mode'? Happened to me a few times after i left my mac on sleeping mode for a few hours. But haven't happened again for a while now.

Funnily enough, it disappeared after playing it without headphones for a few hours, or might of just needed restart like you suggested haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back