Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Jun 6, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #481 of 951

[size=8.0pt]I finally decided to get a D1 becaue of the awesome review of project86. My only dac experience so far has been the udac 1 & 2. I decided to stop going for incremental upgrades and go directly to a dac I won't be upgrading anytime soon.[/size]
[size=8.0pt]Mine shipped few weeks back but I’m only going to get it on Sunday because I had to get it shipped to the Philippines. I can’t wait![/size]

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #482 of 951

Quote:

[size=8.0pt]I finally decided to get a D1 becaue of the awesome review of project86. My only dac experience so far has been the udac 1 & 2. I decided to stop going for incremental upgrades and go directly to a dac I won't be upgrading anytime soon.[/size]
[size=8.0pt]Mine shipped few weeks back but I’m only going to get it on Sunday because I had to get it shipped to the Philippines. I can’t wait![/size]

You're going to love it.

I had the udac2 as my first dac/amp. I upgraded to the MS2+ and was amazed at the difference. I got my D1 2 days ago, and I still have the look of amazement on my face. The jump from the ms2+ to the D1 is beyond my ability to describe, and it keeps growing as I listen.

Coming from the udac, you're about jump even farther ahead. Prepare yourself for overwhelming happiness. 
o2smile.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #483 of 951
Great to hear you guys are happy with the D1 too. After having the D1 for six days I'm still as impressed as the day I got it. 

A good thing about the D1 is that it keeps me busy re-experiencing all my music - No need to spend money on new music. :)

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #484 of 951
I have my D1 for one week now. Maybe I don't have a sensitive ear, I don't feel much different between the D1 and Headroom's Total Bithead at the beginning, like when I had my new Grado SR325is compared to my old Grado SR80. After a long listening to the the SR325is, I feel it is much better than the SR80 and cannot go back to the SR80 anymore. Now I have the same experience with D1, The more I listen to it, the better I feel it is compared with the Total Bithead.  

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #485 of 951
Project86, do you have more info regarding to Anedio's updating for D1? Their website said that they stop building more D1 but focus on updating the D1 with the high resolution USB. Is the high resolution USB a built-in section of the D1 or a seperated converter box? Thanks.  

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #486 of 951

Quote:
Project86, do you have more info regarding to Anedio's updating for D1? Their website said that they stop building more D1 but focus on updating the D1 with the high resolution USB. Is the high resolution USB a built-in section of the D1 or a seperated converter box? Thanks.  

I'm a hard core DIYer and I've emailed James a few times and we exchanged some lengthy emails.  I recommended one important component change in D1's power supply and James is going to setup controlled tests to verify my component recommendation.  If he got the better components in there, I expect a further jump in sonic quality.

Another one of my recommendations to him is to get the 24/96 / 24/192 USB interface into D1 ASAP.  This is the only way to get ahead and sell the units to the masses.

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #488 of 951

Quote:
Hi Viper2001, Thanks for your info!

If your recommendation prove to make D1 better, can this be implemented in the current D1?

Yes it probably can.  It is possible that a higher voltage transformer and heatsinks are likely required.  James could use the PCB as heatsink on the updated D1.  So unless you are familar with electronics (especially in removing surface mount components), I would not recommend doing it yourself.

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #489 of 951

Quote:

Yes it probably can.  It is possible that a higher voltage transformer and heatsinks are likely required.  James could use the PCB as heatsink on the updated D1.  So unless you are familar with electronics (especially in removing surface mount components), I would not recommend doing it yourself.

I believe I have the capability to do it (20+ years in Hardware design dealing with very complicated surface mount circuits) but I wouldn't try it until it approves the improvement is big enough and the mod is not very complicated since I don't want to damage it by any mistake. Thanks again for your info.

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #490 of 951

Quote:

You're going to love it.

I had the udac2 as my first dac/amp. I upgraded to the MS2+ and was amazed at the difference. I got my D1 2 days ago, and I still have the look of amazement on my face. The jump from the ms2+ to the D1 is beyond my ability to describe, and it keeps growing as I listen.

Coming from the udac, you're about jump even farther ahead. Prepare yourself for overwhelming happiness. 
o2smile.gif

Great. You just made me want it more 
o2smile.gif
 5 days to go before overwhelming happiness!

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #491 of 951

Quote:

Do you mind sharing what your suggestion was?

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #492 of 951

Quote:
Do you mind sharing what your suggestion was?

James was using a resistor and a capacitor (a RC network) across each rectifier to dampen the HF noise/ringing of the rectifier during the rectifier switch off cycle in the power supply section.  I recommend that he goes for the best zero-recovery silicon carbide schottky rectifiers.  They are currently the best solid state rectifiers, beating out even the Vishay ultra soft recovery HexFRED by a wide margin.  They're sonically close to tube rectifiers.  You get much cleaner, and tauter bass, with lots of textures.  Smooth and non-fatiguing HF extension, lots of reverbs and decays, and a very three dimensional sound stage.

He is going to setup some controlled tests on the silicon carbide rectifier this month to see if they indeed improve the sonic quality of the D1.

This is one of the suggestions over a few others I've discussed with him via emails.

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #493 of 951

Quote:

I do but I've been asked not to give specifics yet. James doesn't want to make promises until he is 100% sure that they will be able to deliver.

I can be vague though and say that the refreshed D1 will have the hi-res async USB solution built in. The stand alone async USB to SPDIF box will be a separate item that they will also offer, and it will be available at a discounted price for owners of the original D1.

Aside from that there will be some other updates as far as features. I can't say what they are yet, but they are things that people have asked for. Common sense will tell you what those things might be. 

James specifically asked me not to reveal the details, so I hope I'm not saying too much here. I will say that he had a tough time making this decision. They are a small company and were expecting to grow much slower than they have. As such, they don't really have one team for building and testing the current product, and a separate team for working on the next version.... so you can imagine the difficult choice they faced when the D1 started selling faster than they could build them. I'm sure they already had an idea of what they would like to do for an update (as I mentioned in the first post, a USB update was the plan all along) but having a list of features and implementing them into the design are two different things. And when you are struggling just to build enough product to satisfy the current orders.... you can see how something would have to give.

In the end they had to make a decision as to what would best serve their business and their customers in the long term. Obviously it is not ideal situation to be in. But I think if they can get the updated version out as soon as possible, maintain the excellent quality of the original, and add features without increasing the price by a huge amount, they will continue to have success.

Us owners of the current D1 should hopefully not feel too left out - the refreshed version is not adding anything revolutionary. If the refresh involved something like dual stacked ES9018 chips then it would be different. But then again that would not be considered a refresh but rather a higher model. As it stands, we chose the D1 because its feature set met our needs, so added features on a newer version  shouldn't change that fact. 

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #494 of 951
Hi Project86, thank you for your info. The only concern I have is how big is the sonic improvement will be in the refreshed version. If the refreshed version just add more features and no big improvement in the sonic, then I will be happy and keep my D1 since I don't have a complicated system. 

Jun 7, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #495 of 951
I agree on the rectifiers. Do you know if James will offer an upgrade service for current owners? I have a brutally revealing system and would certainly be interested in any sonic improvement, even if it involves returning the unit for the upgrade. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back