Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Jun 2, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #466 of 951
Do they let you know when it ships and provide tracking info or does it just show up? Same question for LCD-2. Audeze said it ships in a couple of days when i emailed them. But they don't even bother with order confirmation it seems.

Yeah I got an email from both Anedio and UPS with tracking info. I think I got it 2 days after I ordered but they sent it out the day prior. I then I received it the day after.

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #467 of 951
Thanks for the info, people!

Nothing yet from Anedio, but the LCD-2's shipped, got a fedex shipment notification. For anyone buying direct from Audeze, your order confirmation is your paypal payment verification, and your shipment notice comes from FEDEX. Audeze sends you nothing. However, it shipped out in less than 2 days. My experience has usually been that things always take longer to process and ship when you order directly from a manufacturer. Way to go Audeze!  Not your fault I got 2 day shipping and it ships on friday :frowning2: Estimated delivery is the 6th.

I'm actually glad. I want the D1 to arrive at the same or before. Ok, glad is too strong a word. lol. I wanted one new toy at least in time for the weekend.

I am curious to see how the MSII+ serves the LCD-2, but I want to hear them for the first time with the d1 and then do comparisons between the internal amp and the Sr-71A first.

Ordered the ALO Universal lariat silver cable. The price hurts for what is not their top of the line cable. 719 US for 6 feet and the furutek 1/4 (comes with the mini plug). I'm gonna be using the sr-71a with them for the time being, so I needed both mini and 1/4 for the D1 amp and future desktop amp. Then I thought I might want to go balanced with the desktop, and might even get another portable RSA down the road with the protector balanced input. For these reasons I went universal. the better universal was several hundred more, since you have to pay extra for both tips, mini and 1/4.

Mostly off topic. Sorry.
Go D1!

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #468 of 951
D1 Ships today! Will receive tomorrow. Because of the delay due to backlog and my in-state tax burden, they upgraded my shipping to overnight with Saturday delivery.

I still wish I could just drive there and pick it up, but this is almost as good.

Their service is excellent. Delays due to overwhelming demand is something I find reassuring when purchasing something this important. 

Jun 3, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #469 of 951
Awesome, have fun with it and the LCD-2 when you get that.
beerchug.gif

Jun 3, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #471 of 951
Anedio users,
Checking in with 80 h on the clock. 

At this point I'd characterize the Anedio's presentation to lay slightly on the warm side of neutral. My amplifier also provides a degree of warmth, and its balance right now with the D1 is exquisite, but also a bit fragile. A significant increase in warmth, will not go down well. I'm hoping that there will not be any fundamental changes coming from the D1, as clearly I am hoping to keep it in my system. :big grin:  

Jun 3, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #472 of 951
^ I honestly haven't noticed any changes in the D1 since I got it. It took me a little while to adjust to it's neutral sound but other than that it's portrayal of music has been nothing short of perfect to my ears.

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #474 of 951
Has anyone had the fortune of hearing the Anedio and a PS Audio DL3? If yes, how do they compare?

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #475 of 951

Quote:
Anedio users,
Checking in with 80 h on the clock. 

At this point I'd characterize the Anedio's presentation to lay slightly on the warm side of neutral. My amplifier also provides a degree of warmth, and its balance right now with the D1 is exquisite, but also a bit fragile. A significant increase in warmth, will not go down well. I'm hoping that there will not be any fundamental changes coming from the D1, as clearly I am hoping to keep it in my system. :big grin:  

I think I mentioned this in my review, but when I first got the D1 I did think it was boosting the bass. After a lot more listening and comparison I determined that I don't think it is boosted at all, just very clean and clear, so it grabs your attention a little more. Give it some time for your brain to get used to it.

I once asked Anedio about burn-in. James said he had compared a new D1 and his older one with well over 1,000 hours on it. He said he thought maybe there were a few very minor differences but not enough to nail down, and when he would double check another day he didn't hear the same thing consistently. So basically no, there shouldn't be much change in the sound. 

Quote:
Has anyone had the fortune of hearing the Anedio and a PS Audio DL3? If yes, how do they compare?

I used to own the DLIII (no mods) and I thought it was a pretty nice DAC. In some ways I thought it was maybe better than the Benchmark DAC1 and Lavry DA10, which I had all at the same time. But generally still on that same level. I think the Anedio is at least a few steps above all of those. 

That being said I know a few people who think much more highly of the DLIII than I did. The guy I sold mine to still uses it even though he could easily afford to upgrade. So as usual these things all come down to personal opinion.

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #476 of 951
Just received my Anedio D1 yesterday -- even with only about 8 hrs logged on it, I have to say that this is one AMAZING dac and headphone amp!   Everything that project86 said in his review about the D1 is absolutely right on and then some.    I'm using HD800s (with Cardas cable) and I have never heard these phones sound so good - and that's after previously using them in balanced configuration with another highly regarded high-end ss amp and several well-rated dacs.   Congratulations to the folks at Anedio for producing a truly outstanding product!

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #477 of 951

Quote:
Just received my Anedio D1 yesterday -- even with only about 8 hrs logged on it, I have to say that this is one AMAZING dac and headphone amp!   Everything that project86 said in his review about the D1 is absolutely right on and then some.    I'm using HD800s (with Cardas cable) and I have never heard these phones sound so good - and that's after previously using them in balanced configuration with another highly regarded high-end ss amp and several well-rated dacs.   Congratulations to the folks at Anedio for producing a truly outstanding product!

Glad you are enjoying it!

The other amp and DACs you speak of.... would that be the Benchmark DAC1/HeadAmp GS-X combo by any chance? 

Jun 5, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #478 of 951
Got mine yesterday. It's been running since. Definite WOW factor. NIght and Day compared to the MS2+. So much detail. Very neutral, still getting used to that. Still only have the hd650's, LCD-2's come Monday or Tuesday. 

Please keep in mind these are the impressions of a noob:

HD650 with Stock cable into D1 headphone amp:
Not bad at all. I don't currently have a custom 1/4 cable. Everything is up front. Not harsh or bright, just very neutral. More than I'm used to. 

HD650 with Blue Dragon cable 1/8. D1 into SR-71a:
Excellent. The RSA signature sound is still present. Softer and more musical than when using D1 amp, but all the details seem to be there. More bass extension, but not overly significant with HD650's but completely noticeable. Much more treble extension than with MS2+.

Much of the HD650 veil is lifted, the highs and mids are much more pronounced than with the MS2+.

The TOSlink sounded better and more musical than the USB. Looking forward to their USB/SPDIF adapter.

I noticed no difference in sonic quality using the D1's volume control or when keeping the DAC at 81 and using the SR-71A to control volume. Both methods worked well as far as I can tell. This is really good news because I find the remote volume an important feature for those with desktop amps that are not always within arm's reach. 

I​t's big. Solid. Well constructed. 

More once the LCD2's and ALO cable arrive.

Jun 5, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #479 of 951
^ Glad you're enjoying it! The neutrality really knocked me for a loop at first as well. It sounded so wrong but as I adjusted to it, I came to understand how it was closer to a more accurate reproduction of music.

Cheers!

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #480 of 951

Quote:
Glad you are enjoying it!

The other amp and DACs you speak of.... would that be the Benchmark DAC1/HeadAmp GS-X combo by any chance? 

Hi - you are correct!   I also had a Bryston BDA1 that I tried with the GS-X (balanced) and HD800 -- not even as good as the Benchmark, and of course the D1 literally blew it away by a mile.  Having spend almost an entire weekend with the D1 now, I'm firmly convinced that the Anedio D1 is probably the best audio investment I've ever made. 

tws

Users who are viewing this thread

Back