Review and discussions - Audioengine D1 24/96 USB and Optical DAC/amp for laptops and computers
Jan 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #301 of 398
Am I to understand that the volume control also controls the RCA line output? I don't understand why manufacturers do this. Line out should be a fixed voltage in order to mate to other components correctly.

I want to use this DAC with my FiiO E9 via RCA to 3.5mm cable but I don't want the input level on the E9 to be too loud or too quiet so that it's driven properly at the pre-amp stage.

Do you think this would work? I've heard wonderful things about the D1 but need to be able to use it with other headphone amps to make it a sound purchase.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #302 of 398
Quote:
Am I to understand that the volume control also controls the RCA line output? I don't understand why manufacturers do this. Line out should be a fixed voltage in order to mate to other components correctly.

I want to use this DAC with my FiiO E9 via RCA to 3.5mm cable but I don't want the input level on the E9 to be too loud or too quiet so that it's driven properly at the pre-amp stage.

Do you think this would work? I've heard wonderful things about the D1 but need to be able to use it with other headphone amps to make it a sound purchase.

If you are going to use it with the E9 why not get a stand alone DAC?

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #306 of 398
Feb 22, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #307 of 398
So since the JH16 is advertised at 16 ohm, I'm assuming this wouldn't work well?

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #308 of 398
Quote:

Why would the 1a 5v power supply give cleaner power than a USB port on a PC? The unit itself filters the usb input any how. Also if there was a problem with power you wouldn't just get less bass, the whole audio would be messed up.

Why\how would you double compress? I really don't follow what your trying to do?

Your not going to gain anything by making a 16bit source in to a 32 bit. You might as well leave it as 16bit and let the player pad the bit depth to 32 on playback.

Well, I am not an expert, but I've read on the Internet and on this site that USB power is inferior to AC power from the wall. - Of course, both are polluted.
This is due to  the EMI inside PCs/laptops. Everything's is clustered inside PCs and especially inside laptops.
There are headphone amps that are USB powered and AC powered (via the AC adapter).  I've read that, for instance, bass is better/fuller/deeper, etc. when powering a headphone amp via the AC adapter.

Any comments, any links to expert articles?

JJ

P.S.
Regarding the 32-bit stuff, I'd call it a 32-bit delusion. Ha, ha, ...

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #309 of 398
ordered these a few days ago and missed my delivery today! i'm planning to pair it with my sennheiser hd 598, i'm hoping it's gonna be sweet!

How are you enjoying the D1 so far? IME it gave the HD 598 a more pronounced bass, but somehow I felt like the soundstage did become a bit more narrow. It was quite a significant upgrade from my Xonar DG, it made the sound more 'alive'.

The D1 also seems to pair very well with my Fidelio X1.

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #310 of 398
Really enjoying my D1 paired with my HD598.  Both of my components aren't completely burned in yet, but everything sounds a little better with more clarity and precision.  I understand that the HD598s are easy to drive so you might not see significant changes, but I feel the overall listening experience is definitely more enjoyable.

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #312 of 398
Quote:

This way the D1 can be used to control something like the Audioengine A2 or A5 speaker's volume, and it allows the speakers to be muted when you plug in a headphone.  The RCA output is not amplified, and should provide close to the recommended 2v output for driving other amplifier inputs.  The Volume pot just allows the output voltage to be attenuated in order to control the volume of a powered speaker.

Quote:
Will it be able to power these?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ca/viewitem?itemId=120807377893

The headphones specs say they are 60 ohm and this should drive them fine.  But sensitivity is listed as 92dB with no specification if that is with 1mw of power or not.  So no idea how much power it takes to actually reach that 92dB.  Top of the line orthodynamic headphones like HE-500 and LCD-2 have a similar impedance and sensitivity at 1mw, and the D1 has just enough power to drive them although a desktop amp with give them a lot more volume, authority and impact.

I'd be afraid to buy a cheap eBay headphone that hasn't had decent reviews first.  Has it been reviewed?  I picked up a halfway decent pair of Sony MDR-V6 once for $60 on sale at Amazon, which is about what these unknown eBay phones cost.

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #313 of 398
Does anyone else find the headphone output is too loud?
With portables like DT1350 I can only turn it a tiny bit before it is overwhelming.
Even with D2000 and HD600 there is little room on the volume.

I rarely use the headphone output so it's no big deal just wondered
if others found the same?

thanks

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #314 of 398
Quote:

This way the D1 can be used to control something like the Audioengine A2 or A5 speaker's volume, and it allows the speakers to be muted when you plug in a headphone.  The RCA output is not amplified, and should provide close to the recommended 2v output for driving other amplifier inputs.  The Volume pot just allows the output voltage to be attenuated in order to control the volume of a powered speaker.

The headphones specs say they are 60 ohm and this should drive them fine.  But sensitivity is listed as 92dB with no specification if that is with 1mw of power or not.  So no idea how much power it takes to actually reach that 92dB.  Top of the line orthodynamic headphones like HE-500 and LCD-2 have a similar impedance and sensitivity at 1mw, and the D1 has just enough power to drive them although a desktop amp with give them a lot more volume, authority and impact.

I'd be afraid to buy a cheap eBay headphone that hasn't had decent reviews first.  Has it been reviewed?  I picked up a halfway decent pair of Sony MDR-V6 once for $60 on sale at Amazon, which is about what these unknown eBay phones cost.

DAC with analogue variable output is rarely to find. I would not buy any USB DAC without a variable output control since I use mostly active speakers. For my I Mac and my PC, in order to drive my Adam active speakers, the variable output control is a must.

For the AE A2. it comes with the build-in pre-amp output control , one will not need that particular feature.  

In regarding the AE D1, I own 2 of them for 2 different systems and I have to say that the analogue output section is as good as it gets for under $200.00 USB/ DAC.

BTW, The Schitt Audio Asgard 2 as you noticed, it has a variable output control added ( the Asgard 1 does not).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back