Review and discussions - Audioengine D1 24/96 USB and Optical DAC/amp for laptops and computers
Dec 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #332 of 398
No once you plug in the headphone it cuts output off the RCA outputs.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #333 of 398
I owned three of these D1 for different system. I only used the the D1 as USB DAC. I tried the optical port  for my CDP but the D1 works fine the first time. If I turned the CDP off and play it the second time, it won't recognize the signal from the CDP. They behave the same way for all three of them. Out of  frustration ,  I sold all three of them.The buyers are very happy with the D1.

To make a story short, I just received 3 of the Audio engine D1 since I cannot live without them. I missed the fuller mid-range, a little more meat around instruments . As an USB DAC, they are organic, liquid and the mid-range is much fuller than some other USB I have tried.

Highly recommended, if you need a USB DAC1 for $169.00. My Adam Audio A7X and my Neuman KH120 become alive and I am home again. So happy to have what I had before. No more switching unless I can afford a whole lot more $$$ hi-end DAC. The analog variable line level out serve me well with my monitors and they are a damned good one too. YMMV.

Feb 20, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #334 of 398
Just got my Audioengine D1. Its the second quality piece of audio gear I have purchased. The first, my Fischer FA-003tis sound great with the AED1. I guess there is some break in period (at least according to the manual) but it sounds pretty damn good now.

Im building it up slowly, really enjoying this new hobby. Next things I want to do (in order):

- Build a headless, silent, audio PC
- Get a couple of small powered speakers (thinking of the AudioEngine A2s, A5s or the KRK Rokit 5s).
- Get some IEMs (60 to 100 dollar range)
- Buy a portable amp (probably start with something from FIIO
- Build a server/NAS to easily consolidate all my FLACs

Then start to upgrade each component :)

Love the website, thanks Head-Fi

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #335 of 398
My Audioengine D1 appears not to be working with my PC... 

My D1 is connected to my PC running Windows 8.1 by USB and Optical. It's also connected to my Aktimate Micros.

Over the past couple of weeks I've been getting the occasional "Windows does not recognise this USB device" error message. Now it seems not to be working with the PC at all - either as a Headphone amp, or outputting to the speakers.

I have tested the speakers, and they're fine. The D1 works when I plug it into my Macbook Pro. I've tried a different USB cable - it works fine in the Mac, but not on the PC. I've tried a different USB port on the PC - to no avail.

So it's clearly some sort of compatibility issue with Windows 8.1. Anyone else out there experienced this? Grateful for any tips on how to resolve this..

Thanks.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #336 of 398

My D1 is connected to my PC running Windows 8.1 by USB and Optical. It's also connected to my Aktimate Micros.

Over the past couple of weeks I've been getting the occasional "Windows does not recognise this USB device" error message. Now it seems not to be working with the PC at all - either as a Headphone amp, or outputting to the speakers.

I have tested the speakers, and they're fine. The D1 works when I plug it into my Macbook Pro. I've tried a different USB cable - it works fine in the Mac, but not on the PC. I've tried a different USB port on the PC - to no avail.

So it's clearly some sort of compatibility issue with Windows 8.1. Anyone else out there experienced this? Grateful for any tips on how to resolve this..

Thanks.

I don't know anything about Windows 8+, sorry.

Back in the old days you could go into a device manager or something and look for hardware with a yellow exclamation point, delete the driver, and when you plug in the device again then windows would re-install drivers.  I've been on Mac for so long that Windows is almost a foreign language to me now.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #337 of 398
I use my D1 with windows 8.1 all the time with no issues. If you think it's a device driver issue you need to go to the device manager and see if it has a? Or ! . I suspect what you really need to do is go to the bottom right hand corner in Desktop and right mouse click the speaker and change your default output choice to the D1.

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #338 of 398

Thanks.

I had this to. It seems like my motherboard didn't like the D1 being plugged in with a 1m USB cable, sometimes it would work, other times can not recognise this USB device. I tried 5 - 6 different 1m USB cables and they all had the same problem, when i switched back to the provided 0.5m cable i had no more problems.

The motherboard I'm using is a ASROCK Z77 Extreme4

The D1 would work fine on other computers\laptops using any 1M cable so i put it down to an incompatibility with my ASROCK board.

May 8, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #340 of 398

Thanks.

Right-click the Start button and go into Power Options. Under the advanced settings, turn off "USB Selective Suspend". Should solve that quickly.

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #341 of 398
I am having the same issue

Quote:

Thanks.

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #342 of 398
I'm getting constant clipping on my Audioengine D1 when plugged into USB via a powered hub :frowning2:

This is the hub I use:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=262&products_id=28263

Any ideas on how to fix that? The supplied cable with the D1 is not long enough to reach my computer!

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #343 of 398
  I'm getting constant clipping on my Audioengine D1 when plugged into USB via a powered hub :frowning2:

This is the hub I use:
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=262&products_id=28263

Any ideas on how to fix that? The supplied cable with the D1 is not long enough to reach my computer!

Have you tried another hub?  I had a Griffin hub that was noisy and fixed it with a different hub (USB 3 from Best Buy house brand).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back