Review and discussions - Audioengine D1 24/96 USB and Optical DAC/amp for laptops and computers
Oct 13, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #346 of 398
Hi,

I'm using Windows 8.1 on my computer, with an Intel quad I5, and have nothing but superior sound out of a recently purchased D1. I was using it alone, with my Sennheiser HD540 Ref phones, and I loved the sound (not broken in as yet). Last night I plugged my A2's into it using the RCA jacks. Sound is very pleasant, from either the speakers or the hphones, and I will be broken in by the weekend. Very convenient that I can control the speaker volume from the D1, and plugging in the HD540's cuts the speakers out.
I live in a well noise shielded condo, but my den is opposite my neighbors bedroom, and I'm frequently up till the wee hours. He goes to work before 6am, and I use the phones at night. The A2's have always been a joy. I read the first review of them in Stereophile, and bought a pair from their website that day. As most others, I'm amazed at the overall quality, both build and sound. They make a great combo with the D1, and they fill my needs very well. I think it would be difficult to match the musicality of the AE equipment at the prices they ask.

Harry 

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #348 of 398
   the audioengine d1 outputs 10 ohm how will that drive the Alpha Dog

I'd be curious too.  If I didn't already own a pair of Lawton Audio modded D7000 as my high-end closed phones I'd have a pair of Alpha Dog by now.

Nov 9, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #349 of 398
Hi Everyone. I recently joined Head-Fi.  As a happy user of D1, I want to drop a line or two :)

I have used D1 for 3 years for desk-fi at work.  I connected it to my work laptop,  Its RCA output is connected to Carver M-1.5t power amplifier.  And a pair of Boston Acoustics CS 26 bookshelf speakers are connected to M-1.5t.  I don't have a separate pre-amp.  But D1 works as a good pre-amp because it can control the volume of the speaker system. 

D1 sounds good as a headphone amp.  I have used AKG K271 mk2 and recently switched to Senn HD 650. D1 runs both of them fine. I compared D1 with V-CAN, which is a headphone amp from Musical Fidelity. The sounds are little bit different. But I can't say which one is better.  Considering that they have about same price AND D1 does more than V-CAN, I will keep D1 at work and return V-CAN to my home audio. It means that I will use D1 more since I spent most of time at work. Don't have time to listen my home audio :frowning2:

I have thought of upgrading D1 to another system.  Maybe there are more expensive systems out there.  But I doubt that there is this convenient system that sounds good. 

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #350 of 398
I had this to. It seems like my motherboard didn't like the D1 being plugged in with a 1m USB cable, sometimes it would work, other times can not recognise this USB device. I tried 5 - 6 different 1m USB cables and they all had the same problem, when i switched back to the provided 0.5m cable i had no more problems.

The motherboard I'm using is a ASROCK Z77 Extreme4

The D1 would work fine on other computers\laptops using any 1M cable so i put it down to an incompatibility with my ASROCK board.

I'm in the same boat. I've tried a bunch of USB cables and so far the only one that my D1/MoBo like is the original 0.6m USB that came with my DAC. I've checked to make sure that USB Selective Suspend is disabled, but still no luck. I emailed Audioengine about it so hopefully I'll hear back soon and I'll post their response. In the mean time, does anyone else have any suggestions?

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #353 of 398
Curious about this one, has anyone tried it with high impedance headphones ex. AKG 702 etc? I'm debating between this or the Magni/Modi stack for my 7XX.. Buying from Canada, so the magni/modi is almost 300 bucks after shipping, tax and currency conversions, vs I can get this for 180 from a Canadian retailer. 

Thanks!

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #354 of 398
  Curious about this one, has anyone tried it with high impedance headphones ex. AKG 702 etc? I'm debating between this or the Magni/Modi stack for my 7XX.. Buying from Canada, so the magni/modi is almost 300 bucks after shipping, tax and currency conversions, vs I can get this for 180 from a Canadian retailer. 

Thanks!

I use HD650, which has 300 Ohm as rated impedance. D1 runs HD650 quite well. I don't have to turn the volume more than half.  I can't say 9 or 12 o'clock, because there is no marker at the volume knob. So I believe that you will have enough power for AKG 702 from D1. Sound depends on your preference. Since I didn't try Magni/Modi, I can't compare with them. Compared with V-DAC/V-CAN combination, D1 sound is brighter. Sometimes piercing, but not badly. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #357 of 398
Does anyone know how to setup the iPad Camera Connection Kit and D-link powered hub in order for them to work with D1?

According to Audioengine website, they suggested below steps:
iDevice w/ USB Camera Adapter --USB-> Powered hub --USB-> D1 --RCA/Mini-> Speakers/Headphone

But I could not understand the setup.

Can someone share the photo?

May 23, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #359 of 398
Will speakers connected through the RCA stop playing if headphones are connected through the front jack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back