Review and discussions - Audioengine D1 24/96 USB and Optical DAC/amp for laptops and computers
Jan 22, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #46 of 398
Hi! I just bought an integrated amp. If I use the D1 connect to that integrated amp, will the audio quality worst than using sth like HRT Music Streamer II? As the signal needs to pass through 2 pre amp (one in D1, the other one in the amp) but for the later, signal just need to pass through 1 pre amp from the integrated amp. 

Would you recommend using the HRT Music Streamer 2 then? Or the audio quality degrade is so minimal that we should go on with D1 :)

Besides, I guess the D1 will be better as it uses AKM4396, which is a superior chipset compared to the PCM1793 D/A chip used in HRT Music Streamer 2... 

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #47 of 398

Quote:
Hi! I just bought an integrated amp. If I use the D1 connect to that integrated amp, will the audio quality worst than using sth like HRT Music Streamer II? As the signal needs to pass through 2 pre amp (one in D1, the other one in the amp) but for the later, signal just need to pass through 1 pre amp from the integrated amp. 

Would you recommend using the HRT Music Streamer 2 then? Or the audio quality degrade is so minimal that we should go on with D1 :)

Besides, I guess the D1 will be better as it uses AKM4396, which is a superior chipset compared to the PCM1793 D/A chip used in HRT Music Streamer 2... 

At this price range, I'm not sure the extra volume pot is going to degrade the signal enough to hear it.  I haven't heard the HRT so I can't say anything about it.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #48 of 398
If it helps, I wrote the following comment on Steve Guttenberg's review of the Audioengine D1:

"As usual - Steve is SPOT ON here on the Audioengine D1!! I've been rockin one at home for weeks now, and I'm VERY impressed with the overall performance! They've also got the form factor perfect, as far as I'm concerned. The DAC was on-par w/ my HRT units and my favorite little StyleAudio CARAT-TOPAZ. The big surprise was the H-phone amp! It married beautifully w/ my Sennheiser HD 25-1 II's, my JHAudio JH-13 pros, and my Grado SR-80's! I could even drive my Audeze LCD-3's!! (though I do need a little more power to really enjoy them). I think the D1 is a game-changer at this price point, in terms of performance AND features!"

I have an HRT Music Streamer II (and I used to work for those guys - Kevin Halverson is a fantastic engineer) and I actually enjoy the more rounded, lush sound of the D1.  The Music Streamer II is a killer USB DAC for the money, but I've switched to the D! in the small-scale system (where the HRT used to live).  I also like the fact that you get an h-phone amp and an additional digital input for the money.

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #50 of 398
How's the H-amp with power hungry cans?  Mine is on a UPS truck.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #51 of 398
I just got mine. I am slowly burnig-in this little puppy. It is my first DAC/AMP and I am very exicted about it. I will be posting more on the SQ and other stuff later on, but so far it's been great on the sound. The only thing that I don't like about it, is how it conects with my PS3 through TOSLINK. Everytime the PS3 changes the frequency to a different one, like going from 44.1 to 44.8 or to 5.1 going through PCM it looses the signal and I have to turn it off and turn it back on. Is this normal or my settings on the PS3 are wrong( I have reserached a little bit on it but no luck). Besides this little issue I love that little thing. It will be goign to work with me everyday from now on along with my M50s, which sound great with it.
darthsmile.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #52 of 398
Just ordered a D1 from Crutchfield. Look around, there is currently a $20 off $100+ purchase coupon floating around the net - YMMV. Got mine for $149 and free ship.

As an experiment, I'm looking to run this via optical out of a Netgear NeoTV 550 media player which supports FLAC/WAVE playback up to 192khz - natively. Gapless too. 2 USB ports, so thinking I can run a 2TB music drive off of one and power the DAC off the other, controlling everything through my Sony Bravia and NeoTV interface. Don't want to mess with touchscreens, Ipads, etc. Also, taking the PC right out of the equation. One hand for my remote and one hand for my cocktail! We shall see...
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #56 of 398

Quote:
Does anyone know if the D1 will work with the iPad Camera Connection Kit and powered hub?

Not sure if this applies to your device, but according to the FAQ on the Audioengine website:

Can I connect the D1 DAC to a USB hub?

Although D1 may work just fine when connected to most USB hubs, this is not recommended as the data rate may not be fast enough for higher-resolution music. We therefore suggest you select a high-speed USB bus all by itself and don't use a USB port on your keyboard, for example.

As I plan on running the optical input for my application, I am curious if there might be any further advantage to using an external USB battery pack as a power supply for the DAC...comments?

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #57 of 398
A usb power pack is what I should have asked such as TekCharge Mp1860A.

Here's an article about using the the iPad as a High Rez Digital transport with the CCK, above power pac and various usb headphone amp /dac combo's
http://www.theplatform.info/feedcontent/article/85648

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #58 of 398
HeadphoneAddict, have you tried the D1 with your AKG K240Ms yet?  Have you had any DAC/amp combo this small or inexpensive, with both optical and USB in, really work wonders with the K240Ms?

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #59 of 398
I have the D1 hooked to Audioengine's N22 desktop amp and P4 speakers. Also have a Sennheiser HD 555 hooked up.  This is my first DAC and I think the sound is great from someone who is new to improving the sound from my .flac collection. I am interested to hear a comparison of the D1 to the recently released and reviewed on this site, and more expensive Schitt Bifrost. Thanks

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #60 of 398
HeadphoneAddict, always a pleasure to read your reviews.

I had pruchased the DACport with your original review of it in mind. I am now uber satisfied with having my JH16's plugged into the DACport as my main setup. So much so that I have my fingers crossed that my next android/iOS phone will be able to support the DAC connectivity.

Anyhow, my question is if you tried or are considering modding the DACport to 1ohm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back