Review and discussions - Audioengine D1 24/96 USB and Optical DAC/amp for laptops and computers
Jan 10, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #32 of 398

Quote:
Would you do a SQ comparison between the D1 vs the E9/E7 or the E10 using USB port? I have the E9/E7 but I like the E10 better for classic rock and hard rock. Is it just a lateral move from FiiO to AE ? Thank you.

Sorry, but I don't have any Fiio USB DAC/amps.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #34 of 398

Quote:
So the D1 is a DAC only. Can it be used as heaphone amp? If so, how the SQ as headphone amp?

Hi, I thought it was pretty clear that it has a nice headphone amp built-in.  Did you read my review, because I talk about the headphone amp a lot in regards to how it sounds with different headphones?

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #35 of 398
LOL. It's what I call reading but not comprehending. My fault to skimp your reviews and reading the bold lines only. Anyhow, I have ordered the D1 from the good people at Vann's and have it overnight shipped for my birthday gilt. I should have the D1 today.

Thank you for the nice review.

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #36 of 398

Quote:
Just got my D1 today.  Shipped 28th, arrives 30th, can't complain about that at all.  Audioengine site recommends 40-50 hours burn-in so I'm going with initial impressions.  For fairness, I have consumed several alcoholic beverages. 

In easy to digest list form:
1. Seems very loud.  By seems, I mean the volume dial in the lowest area of the dial is silent and then the sound cuts in abruptly.  I suspect that in actuality, they just don't operate well or at all for very quiet listening
2. Using the USB causes many pops during use.  I unplugged all other USB devices and went straight in without any hubs; still an unsettling amount of popping, almost a ticking sound
3. Optical works flawlessly
4. If I peg the dial at 100%, I get listenable volume from my DT990 600 Ohm.  Initial opinion is that it sounds way, way better than my E9, but we'll see what sobriety does to that tomorrow
5. Unexpectedly, my Shure SRH840 show a lot of sibilance.  That does not occur using the E9, E11, Turtlebeach Earforce or unamped.
6. Grado SR225 sibilance was increased slightly, though I was pleasantly surprised to hear bass in some songs; not the forte of these cans and this is best bass I've coaxed out of them yet

I'll be paying attention to see if the sibilance smooths out, and will also troubleshoot the living hell out of those USB pops.

HeadphoneAddict, thanks for your great post.  It was a major help in making my choice.  I recall you also had some noise issues using USB until you bypassed the hub.  Do you have any other suggestions for the issue, as I seem to be facing it as well.

Just got mine in, and getting these same pops, but it's only if I select another output OTHER than Directsound (so we're looking @ ASIO, WASAPI, Kernel Streaming).

Does it just not play nicely with these, or just not on USB? Perhaps it doesn't have enough flow going on when it's in USB? I'll find out tomorrow when I get my optical cable. For now, this is annoying -_- Also found if you turn it off then on while using headphone out, it gets a bad case of jittery sound.

But its saving grace, it sounds excellent! Detail is actually head and shoulders above my NFB-12, with very loving sounding highs, good mids, and while not on brain rattling levels like the NFB 12, still very detailed and punchy lows.

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #37 of 398
Just received my this afternoon. The D1 is much smaller than I thought. I will have it hooked up to my IMac via USB, if this baby pops, it will be returned to Vann's. I cannot tolerate hum, pop, crack  while listening to music. Pure annoying. I am crossing my finger. 

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #38 of 398
I'm probably going to call them tomorrow to see what's up with that. It's not bothering me now since I have it connected it via optical, but if I want to take it somewhere, that's going to be annoying.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #41 of 398
I remembered one time, I bought the Audio Research LS17, the damned thing produced pops when turn off/on so I send it back, Audio Research shipped the unit back to me with NPF. I sold the damned thing at half price at take my loss. 

If it pops, cracks... mostly there is some kind of designed flaw. When I have some spare time today, I will hook this baby D1 to my spanking new Imac, so if there is pops, scratchy noise, it is going back, No BS blaming games to other components.

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #42 of 398
Thank you, Audio Engine and thank you Headphoneaddict, I score a nice USB/DAC from AE. No pops. no hiss, no crackings as some other members' report.  I guess I am lucky to have a good unit.

It sounds good right out of the box. Plenty of power and very dynamic. Diana Krall in Live in Paris is clean and clear. Next up, I will run the "  Only trust your heart" by Diana Krall to see if the piano sound is placing properly where the sound should be or not.

All in all, nice amp. I am pleased at first impression,

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #43 of 398

Quote:
Thank you, Audio Engine and thank you Headphoneaddict, I score a nice USB/DAC from AE. No pops. no hiss, no crackings as some other members' report.  I guess I am lucky to have a good unit.

It sounds good right out of the box. Plenty of power and very dynamic. Diana Krall in Live in Paris is clean and clear. Next up, I will run the "  Only trust your heart" by Diana Krall to see if the piano sound is placing properly where the sound should be or not.

All in all, nice amp. I am pleased at first impression,

Glad you like it.  My suspicion is that those two people with pops are having issues with a noisy PC power supply or RFI from the PC.  I've never had good luck using USB DACs on a PC, and either the OS sucks and needs additional software (WASAPI, ASIO, etc) or the PC is noisy.  We have 5 Macs and a PC, and the PC has been turned on once in 18 months.

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #44 of 398
Hi!

I plan to use Audioengine D1 as a pre amp by connecting it to a power amplifier to drive my Mission MX-1. Do you recommend doing this? Or it is better to use D1 with a integrated amplifier instead? Thank you very much!

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #45 of 398

Quote:
Hi!

I plan to use Audioengine D1 as a pre amp by connecting it to a power amplifier to drive my Mission MX-1. Do you recommend doing this? Or it is better to use D1 with a integrated amplifier instead? Thank you very much!

The D1 works fine as a pre-amp.  You decide if you need the extra features of an integrated or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back