Review and comparison: Focal Spirit Classic & Sennheiser HD380Pro
Oct 2, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #16 of 38

Hey, thanks for your feedback.

As far as the headphone recommendation goes, it's hard to tell for me, since of all the headphones you've listed, I only have a little bit of experience with HD25's and Momentums. Classics are definitely totally different headphones than HD25's, much more mellow and dark, but they are similar to Momentum's from my memory. I think you should listen to them first, because they sort of are in the same league as the Momentum, at least as far as the sound signature goes, I can't say much more without direct comparisons.  Most people do think that Spirit Classic are superior headphones though.

Hmmm, to me, it's definitely worth buying as long as the amount of details/resolutions are superior than the momentum. Wait, we are talking about the momentum over ear right?

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #17 of 38
Hey, I'm glad you like the review.

If you need an open-back headphone that will sound great with all genres of music, but also the bass heavy stuff, in a 150 to 250 dollar range, and you want to run them without an amp, then then you don't have much of a choice, since such headphones don't exist, at least I don't know about them.

The only open-back headphones that you could run without an amp, and not totally compromise their performance, would be Grados and Audio Technicas, but they're not exactly known for their bass performance, if you're used to HD380's, they'll sound very bass light (especially sub-bass which is particularly poor on Grados) and extremely bright to you. In other words, they're not fit for rap/hip-hop or similar genres at all, they're more fit for vocal, acoustic, classical, etc.

Other choices might the open-back Sennheiser HD518 or 558, but they're not exactly easy to run either, they have a huge impedance spike at bass to low mids level that goes up to 300 ohms, which makes them sound bass light without proper amplification. 

Now, if you decide to get an amp/DAC, then the best open-back headphones for those bass heavy genres (while still sounding very good with everything else) up to 250 dollars would be Beyerdynamic DT990's and Ultrasone HFI-2400's.  990's are available in either the 250's ohm Pro version or the 990 Premium 32 Ohm version (ignore the 600 ohm version, way too difficult to run), both can be used without an amp without sounding horrible, but depending on what you plug them into now (smartphone, portable player?), you might not get enough volume. In other words, both need an amp and DAC to sound best, but you can get something like the Fiio E10, or anything similar for around 70-80 dollars and it will improve their sound greatly. The same goes for the Ultrasone HFI-2400's. I personally prefer the DT990's because of their comfort and more solid build quality (although both are built like tanks), and a slightly more balanced sound, but both headphones can kick like a mule when it comes to bass, while still sounding very natural, airy, spacious, open and detailed with other music genres. Ultrasone is especially good when it comes to soundstage and imaging, some of the best I've ever heard in a headphone regardless of price.

If you can't get a DAC/amp, or at least an amp now, then I'd recommend you to just stick to HD380's until you can afford to get the whole setup, because otherwise you'll end up buying headphones that will sound worse than what you have now. Open-back headphones are very tricky in this price range, because most of them are very picky when it comes to genres of music they excel at, and most go for the bright approach, which means they really don't do the bass heavy stuff.

EDIT:  I totally forgot about one more headphone, the Philips Fidelio X1.  That might be the ultimate choice for you. Now, I haven't heard them, but from what I've read about them, they do fit all the boxes. They're well made, have detachable cables, are fairly easy to run and sound great with all genres including the bass heavy ones for what. I can't personally recommend them since I have no experience with them, but they might be the best choice.

So the Akg k702 and the DT990 will sound great with an amp like the Fiio E10k
But the Fidelio x1 sounds the same (or may be better for my taste) without amping
Okay,I think the Fidelio x1 is for me.
I thank u Alot

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #18 of 38
But the Fidelio x1 sounds the same (or may be better for my taste) without amping
I thank u Alot

I think k702 and dt990 are a lot a lot more power hungry than the x1, so I guess they will have more potential when the amping are better as the controls over bass and treble would be improved. But if the amp is like e10k or even listening straight from ipod, fidelio x1 would be an better option. 

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #19 of 38
  I think k702 and dt990 are a lot a lot more power hungry than the x1, so I guess they will have more potential when the amping are better as the controls over bass and treble would be improved. But if the amp is like e10k or even listening straight from ipod, fidelio x1 would be an better option. 

i was thinking of getting the k702 with the Schiit Magni or Valli, but it will cut down my budget. 
i really like to experience an AKG headphone, but i'm hesitating right now as they are being manufactured in china, and in the other hand the DT990 is being manufactured in germany.
so i think the Fidelio x1 is The Ultimate choice for me as derbigpr said.

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #20 of 38
  Hmmm, to me, it's definitely worth buying as long as the amount of details/resolutions are superior than the momentum. Wait, we are talking about the momentum over ear right?

Yea, the over ear. But I really can't tell which is more detailed or has high resolution without directly comparing them. It was quite some time when I last heard the Momentums. I can only tell that their general sound signatures are similar.

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #21 of 38
I thank u Alot

AKG K702 will need a more serious amp to sound very good, it's a very hard headphone to power, some of the hardest out there as far as dynamic headphones go, don't let the low impedance fool you.  I would not consider them at all anyway, since they don't do hiphop / rap or  bass heavy stuff that well.  DT990's should work well without an amp if you get the 32 Ohm version, but again, will benefit from an amp.

X1 is probably the best bet, since it's the only bass "heavy", low impedance, open back headphone in that price range.

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #22 of 38
  i was thinking of getting the k702 with the Schiit Magni or Valli, but it will cut down my budget. 
i really like to experience an AKG headphone, but i'm hesitating right now as they are being manufactured in china, and in the other hand the DT990 is being manufactured in germany.
so i think the Fidelio x1 is The Ultimate choice for me as derbigpr said.

Top of the line AKG's are made in Austria, only cheaper models are made in China.

Oct 3, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #24 of 38
they are now $221 on amazon, i will go for it. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #25 of 38
they are now $221 on amazon, i will go for it. :D  

Go for it. Make sure you get that aftermarket cable too, I've read that the stock one is bad due to high resistance.

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #29 of 38
Question, is the 380 PRO similar to the Sennheiser PC350SE headset for gaming?

I have read that some people say its based on the HD595, HD558, etc etc....

It just that the 380 Pro and 350SE look so similar and also, from what it was described...sound so similar..??

Oct 4, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #30 of 38
Question, is the 380 PRO similar to the Sennheiser PC350SE headset for gaming?

I have read that some people say its based on the HD595, HD558, etc etc....

It just that the 380 Pro and 350SE look so similar and also, from what it was described...sound so similar..??

They're identical in shape and size, but I don't know how similar they are in terms of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back