REVIEW AND COMPARISON: Eddie Current Balancing Act and SUPER 7
May 29, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #331 of 422
Quote:
I am very interested in this  electra amplifier  and would also like to know any difference between
the super7 mkI and mkII.   Please do share your impressions.

The new S7 has the new C-core transformers which alter the sound a little bit. If you have other EC amps and are used to the EC sound, certain recognizable traits will no longer be there since the output transformers have a very large affect on the amp's sound - even more than tubes. (This is why I also recommend rolling transformers, because it's even more fun.)

The C-cores are less organic sounding. The older EI cores were slightly thicker in the bass and had a little treble bite (I am not implying a negative thing here.) The C-cores have a more neutral textured bass and better detail extraction overall. The highs are brighter, but also smoother. Overall, I feel the new C-cores get out of the way better than the EI-core. I had no issues with it sounding slightly brighter since the presentation was smoother. In any event, the brightness can be tamed with proper tube selection.

Started a new thread for Electra since it's now close to production: http://www.head-fi.org/t/612247/eddie-current-electra-electrostatic-amplifier

May 30, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #332 of 422
The new S7 has the new C-core transformers which alter the sound a little bit. If you have other EC amps and are used to the EC sound, certain recognizable traits will no longer be there since the output transformers have a very large affect on the amp's sound - even more than tubes. (This is why I also recommend rolling transformers, because it's even more fun.)

The C-cores are less organic sounding. The older EI cores were slightly thicker in the bass and had a little treble bite (I am not implying a negative thing here.) The C-cores have a more neutral textured bass and better detail extraction overall. The highs are brighter, but also smoother. Overall, I feel the new C-cores get out of the way better than the EI-core. I had no issues with it sounding slightly brighter since the presentation was smoother. In any event, the brightness can be tamed with proper tube selection.

Started a new thread for Electra since it's now close to production: http://www.head-fi.org/t/612247/eddie-current-electra-electrostatic-amplifier

Hmm, I don't think I like what I am hearing. I chose to be on this run of the Super 7 as I was looking for an more "organic" sounding amp (instead of e.g the RWA Corvina) to complement the solid state amps that I already have...

May 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #333 of 422
You could ask Craig for some EI cores if he has some left.  The new transformers don't sound like digitally harsh SS just to be clear.  Quite the opposite.  Completely smooth and grain free.  If not organic in texture, think liquid instead.

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #334 of 422
Quote:
You could ask Craig for some EI cores if he has some left.  The new transformers don't sound like digitally harsh SS just to be clear.  Quite the opposite.  Completely smooth and grain free.  If not organic in texture, think liquid instead.

Thanks! Tough choice being far away from any chance to listen to either version...
I will wait for impressions from the T.H.E Show where I understand the Mk2 will be present this weekend.
It sounds to me like the Mk2 might mate well with the LCD-2 rev1 I have but would require more tube rolling to go with the HD800.... Any recommendations for only swapping the driver tube to accomplish that?
Do you happen to know which phones will be setup for the S7 at the show?

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #335 of 422
Quote:

Really loving the Eddie Current logo on the front of the amp. I'm jealous of all you lucky folks getting in on the second run.

I bought Santacore's amp about 2 weeks back, and I don't have any buyer's remorse whatsoever (other than a handful of sleepless nights staying up listening to 3am). I've been enjoying re-discovering my collection. The increase in resolution, refinement in spatial information and richness in inner-detail is a serious step above my previous amp. 

Haven't done any tube rolling yet, since I'm mainly trying to live with the amp for a while and get used to the sound. I have tried swapping driver tubes between the stock Tung Sol and a National Union one that Santacore was nice enough to include. I was surprised at how much the sound changed by just swapping the driver tube. I'm almost afraid to dive into the depths of tinker-dom that's ahead with rolling the output tubes as well. Should be fun. 

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #340 of 422
Quote:
bummer :)
Looks like I have to wait for mine to be delivered to get any more impressions.
By the way which transfomer was in the Super 7 at the meet?
Thanks again!

The first gen Electraprint EI cores.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #342 of 422
Quote:
Is Super 7 a step above Apex Peak ?

I totally prefer it.  I'll let Purrin chime in since he spent more time w/ the Peak than myself.

Jun 7, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #343 of 422
The Peak is definitely more analytical. It doesn't soften the edges. If anything it has a tendency to turn over every stone - to extract every detail - no matter the tube. I sold the Peak and got the BA instead when I got the HD800s. I couldn't stand the HE-6 with the Peak. I loved the LCD2r1 (the r1 was the one I had) with the Peak. I think I would love the LCD3 with the Peak as well. The Peak is very clear sounding. Bass control is amazing. Overall balance is neutral. Some have said bright, which I can't disagree compared to amps that sound warmer or more laid back.

The Super 7 is not as crystal clear sounding as the Peak. Bass is just a hair not as tight. It is more explosive than the Peak in terms of macro-dynamics. The presentation is not analytical, but it renders plankton just as well as the Peak. Just that every time you try to concentrate on the micro-detail, the S7 lures you back into listening to the music. With the right selection of tubes, you can also take the edge off of the brighter headphones. Overall balance and some sonic characteristics can be changed with tube selection. For example, KenRads throughout will give you a little bit of that Peak sound. It's actually a lot of fun to roll tubes on the S7.

This is just my opinion based on my preferences. I know many others who would prefer the Peak, even with HD800s or HE-6s.

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #344 of 422
So no one has heard the S7 with the C-core transformer and upgraded caps yet, is that right?

Also, is it reasonable to think that the 6SN7 as an output tube in a well-executed circuit (as the S7 no doubt is) is capable of producing images with the palpability of the 2A3?

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #345 of 422
Quote:
So no one has heard the S7 with the C-core transformer and upgraded caps yet, is that right?

No that's wrong.  Thought we posted some impressions of an A/B w/ the prototype.

Most of us have the upgraded cap too which I'm sure was commented on as well.

Palpable imaging is one of my favorite aspects of the S7.  Both the BA and S7 use 6SN7s, some 2A3's sound a little soft around the edges to me but that could be cheap Chinese tubes.  Assuming we mean the same thing by palpable imaging as in a holographic, realistic rendering in a specified position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back