REVIEW AND COMPARISON: Eddie Current Balancing Act and SUPER 7
May 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #304 of 422
Quote:
Thanks & glad to hear that :)
Too bad that it isn't available at the introductory price that you got any longer.

Well, $1650 is a better deal than it was at and doesn't really change my opinion about it.

May 11, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #306 of 422
^After getting used to the expense and enjoying the amp, it's really easy to think- "hmmm, if I add just another grand I could have THAT one..." 
wink.gif

May 11, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #308 of 422
Ok I get it :)

I have put down my deposit last week for a Super 7 and now am curious of what I will get .
Budget limit I set myself was what S7 costs w/ stock tubes. I run Hd800, T1 & Lcd2 so a versatile amp was required.
Can anyone add any thoughts on balanced vs. SE with the Super7?
I don't want to spend any more on balanced cables in the short term.

May 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #309 of 422
Quote:
Ok I get it :)
I have put down my deposit last week for a Super 7 and now am curious of what I will get .
Budget limit I set myself was what S7 costs w/ stock tubes. I run Hd800, T1 & Lcd2 so a versatile amp was required.
Can anyone add any thoughts on balanced vs. SE with the Super7?
I don't want to spend any more on balanced cables in the short term.

You're perfectly fine w/ SE.  Any perceived difference would be small if any at all depending.  It's running 'technically balanced' to the 4-pin and the 6.3mm.

I would consider finding a deal to buy the 7 tubes somewhere else like Ebay.  Either NOS or the stock new Tung-Sol 6SN7s could be had for less than $20 a piece if you shop right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TUNGSOL-REISSUE-6SN7GTB-Tung-sol-6sn7-/400271429188?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item5d32094e44#ht_675wt_112

I would consider getting 6 or 7 of the above if you want to start w/ a baseline.  Then try looking for single NOS tubes to try out in the driver.  That should get you started.

May 11, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #310 of 422
Quote:
Agreed!! Great amp for the dough.

I find myself thinking, Great amp period.  I am extremely pleased with it in combination with the Sylvania and KedRad tubes I got and my HD800.  In fact, and possibly this is only a phase, I seem to have lost interest in upgrading; I am happy enough just listening to music. 

May 11, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #312 of 422
Quote:
There is always going to be something better and more expensive to tempt us audio crazies. 

Enjoy what you've got and play some tunes!!!

I've been trying to do that after buying another pair of headphones this year, but your Super 7 in the classifieds is of interest.  Trying to hide my wallet somewhere until the temptation subsides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back