Review: Analog Design Labs Svetlana 2 tube headphone amplifier
Jan 23, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #106 of 152
Quote:
I've been tempted by the W3K but I still love my W1000X and wouldn't want to sell it. But if I had W3K, I'd probably never use the W1000X... so it would just sit there taking up space (which is limited for me). Bad reasoning, I know... Also, I want to get back into Stax one of these days and that means getting rid of other things rather than buying more. 

I'll be honest and say that after I purchased the W3000ANV, my W1000X (after going through the trouble of modding them with L3000 leather pads and also applying a minor dampening to reduce the booming bass) have not seen any use in the past year.  It is a pretty wise choice to avoid buying the W3000ANV if you're already happy with the W1000X. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #107 of 152
Quote:

I'll be honest and say that after I purchased the W3000ANV, my W1000X (after going through the trouble of modding them with L3000 leather pads and also applying a minor dampening to reduce the booming bass) have not seen any use in the past year.  It is a pretty wise choice to avoid buying the W3000ANV if you're already happy with the W1000X. 

Are the W3K pads similar to the L3K pads? Because I love the L3K pads. W1000X gets the worst pads, behind even the W1000 which is replaced. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #108 of 152
Quote:

Are the W3K pads similar to the L3K pads? Because I love the L3K pads. W1000X gets the worst pads, behind even the W1000 which is replaced. 

Can't argue with the stock pleather pads on the W1000X being terrible.  It's the main reason I sprung for new L3K pads from audiocubes after a couple of weeks with them. 

I think the leather on the L3K pads is softer and more supple than the W3K pads.  The shaped cushioning in the W3K pads is also a little stiffer than the L3K pads.  I don't have any issues with my ears over heating with either set of pads and both create a nice seal on my head so they're both pretty good with only minor differences is comfort against my skin. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #110 of 152
Quote:
Has anyone compare this with bottlehead crack or decware csp2+ or the la figaro 339?

Not directly. I've heard the Crack (with speedball if I recall correctly) and it just killed it with an HD600 - very, very nice. But I didn't get to try any other headphones with it.

Never heard the Decware.

Had the DarkVoice 337SE but that's a different animal than the 339.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #113 of 152
Finally my Svet is here!

Preliminary listen - oh man, this one is definitely great when paired with the W3000ANV! It is even better than the RSA Dark Star (when paired with the W3000ANV). I think the gamble kinda paid off. Waiting to see how things will change as time goes by.

Build quality is top notch and the glow on the tubes are a beauty. Project86 didn't hype this product. That I can say =)

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #114 of 152
Congrats! That sounds wonderful.

Tried to talk myself into it, but I couldn't convince me that I needed a second tube amp.

So enjoy it on my behalf too.

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #115 of 152
Welcome to a very exclusive club of Svetlana 2 owners uelover! I kind of like it this amp is quite unknown. Like a hidden gem for those who can appreciate it 
biggrin.gif

I still stand by the 6N1P-EV and 6N6P-I tubes don't need replacement. They are very good and cheap with the Svetlana 2 design.

You will be more plesantly surprised when the tubes mature substantially after 100 - 200 hours ^^

It sounds good with my ESW11LTD too!

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #118 of 152
Quote:
Where would I purchase this amp?

Any one think of pairing it with the EEMM plus?

Go to their website http://analog.kr/ then click "Headphone amp" and "English". It will show a link to buy via PayPal.

I haven't heard of anyone using the Minimax+ but I can't imagine that to be a bad combo. I've used a bunch of Sabre based DACs and the result is always pleasing. 

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #119 of 152
Quote:

Go to their website http://analog.kr/ then click "Headphone amp" and "English". It will show a link to buy via PayPal.

I haven't heard of anyone using the Minimax+ but I can't imagine that to be a bad combo. I've used a bunch of Sabre based DACs and the result is always pleasing. 

Thanks project

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #120 of 152
Quote:
Congrats! That sounds wonderful.

Tried to talk myself into it, but I couldn't convince me that I needed a second tube amp.

So enjoy it on my behalf too.

Yup hope that you will enjoy your V200 too!

Quote:
Welcome to a very exclusive club of Svetlana 2 owners uelover! I kind of like it this amp is quite unknown. Like a hidden gem for those who can appreciate it 
biggrin.gif

I still stand by the 6N1P-EV and 6N6P-I tubes don't need replacement. They are very good and cheap with the Svetlana 2 design.

You will be more plesantly surprised when the tubes mature substantially after 100 - 200 hours ^^

It sounds good with my ESW11LTD too!

Now we have a threesome club for the Svetlana 2 at head-fi. Hahah! From the sound that I am hearing, I am not even sure what I could achieve from rolling the tubes because I haven't been able to identify an area to improve on at the moment. From my Benchmark to the Svetlana 2 everything is just right. I will try it with my ESW10JPN later. Sold my ESW11LTD already =(

Quote:
Awesome! I'm glad you like it so far.

For me, I'm selling my W1000X to fund a Stax purchase, but definitely keeping the Svetlana around. Which means at some point I'll be looking for a W3000ANV to make full use. I'm out of money for the moment though!

The W3000ANV is cheap at the states so do get it before it went out of stock forever! Stax 009 with Headamp Blue Hawaii SE?
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back