Review: Analog Design Labs Svetlana 2 tube headphone amplifier
Jun 8, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #137 of 152
Quote:

adlab has two other headphone amps that are even more high end than the Svetlana 2. the prelude 3.1 and the prelude 3.1 se.

they weigh 22 pounds. the special edition can be ordered fully balanced.

http://www.analog.co.kr/prelude3.htm

http://www.analog.co.kr/prelude31se.htm

the fully balanced special edition when converted to usd$ is over 2800 dollar.

I am trying to buy one of these amps, they have the option of direct ordering, but only for the Svetlana 2 amplifier wich by the way is listed at 1499,00 usd$ on their website. it would be great if they could add the option for the other amps. the Svetlana 2 page is also the only page translated in English on their website. it is like they d'ont care selling their other products outside korea. it is a shame as these amps appear to be world class products.

I find it rather awkward to have the headphone out located at the back of the amp. Not sure how the sound would differ from the Svetlana 2 though.

Jun 8, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #138 of 152
Quote:
adlab has two other headphone amps that are even more high end than the Svetlana 2. the prelude 3.1 and the prelude 3.1 se.

they weigh 22 pounds. the special edition can be ordered fully balanced.

http://www.analog.co.kr/prelude3.htm

http://www.analog.co.kr/prelude31se.htm

the fully balanced special edition when converted to usd$ is over 2800 dollar.

I am trying to buy one of these amps, they have the option of direct ordering, but only for the Svetlana 2 amplifier wich by the way is listed at 1499,00 usd$ on their website. it would be great if they could add the option for the other amps. the Svetlana 2 page is also the only page translated in English on their website. it is like they d'ont care selling their other products outside korea. it is a shame as these amps appear to be world class products.

It sounds a bit harsh to say they don't care. They can have valid reasons to keep their focus in South Korea. I have the Svetlana 2 and I love it very much. The Svetlana 2 didn't have a English page until project86 actually did a review.

Please shoot an email to info@analog.co.kr. They have English speaking representatives and my experience with them has been good. You might even negiociate a deal to get these amps shipped to you. I believe lots of their products don't have direct ordering even for locals. So probably you just gotta really contact them and show your interest to let them know.

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #139 of 152
I remember the Prelude 3.1 was around back when I first got the Svetlana 2. And then the SE came a year or so later. I was sort of intrigued with the 3.1, but ultimately it appears the main benefit would be for someone who needs a lot of inputs. Like a "real" preamp. Svetlana can be a simple pre but with only a single input it's not as useful. 

I don't mind having a headphone jack on the rear. It's less convenient, yes, but it does help keep the front panel looking clean. So it's a trade off. 

I think of Analog Design Labs as being kind of like Yamamoto Sound Craft. Very different focus than Schiit or Burson etc. They are small companies, make nice gear that they personally enjoy, and sell a few as well. I see no desire to ramp up production or become a bigger company. Which is kind of cool as long as it works for them. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #140 of 152
Boutique is the word that hits me. I like it 
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #142 of 152
hi friends,
your great experience make this review much more than interessing !
i own a little dot MrK IV SE with the reflector 6N30P Super Tube 1982

http://www.lostinmobile.com/home/little-dot-mkiv-headphone-amp-review.html

i wonder if you have already compare both amplifiers?
they seems to belong to the same familly ?!
to tell you the truth, i found those soviet triodes exeptionals;
i wonder if it should be possible/interessing to roll them with the svetlena 2...
perhaps should be interessing to ask it to Analog Design ?

thank you

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #143 of 152
I just heard from Analog Design Labs regarding their future DAC product. Seems they have had some delays due to focusing on other products (such as the balanced Prelude 3.1SE) but are still hard at work. They have an asynchronous USB interface based on the well regarded Tenor TE8802L but are working with the XMOS to see if it can be made to sound better. I asked about DSD capabilities as well as potential time frame, so we'll see what they say. Just nice to know that it's still in progress.

Jun 16, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #144 of 152
Thanks for the update. I actually wanted to shoot them an email to ask about the DAC, but simply never bothered to do it in the end. Their original time frame was somewhere December last year. Will you consider their new DAC for a review?

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #145 of 152
Quote:
Thanks for the update. I actually wanted to shoot them an email to ask about the DAC, but simply never bothered to do it in the end. Their original time frame was somewhere December last year. Will you consider their new DAC for a review?

Definitely! I'd be very intrigued to hear their old-school approach to high-tech digital equipment. 

Jun 16, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #146 of 152
I just got a message from YJ Kim from ADL that my Svetlana 2 is finished and will be shipped tomorrow. Honestly, I can't wait for it to arrive, more excited than a student waiting for holiday :) I have almost everything prepared for its arrival - new cables, power conditioner, headphones. Well, almost everything, I am still missing very important part - DAC. I still can't make a call on which one to get, too many solid DACs in ~1000€ category :frowning2:

Jun 16, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #147 of 152
Quote:
I just got a message from YJ Kim from ADL that my Svetlana 2 is finished and will be shipped tomorrow. Honestly, I can't wait for it to arrive, more excited than a student waiting for holiday :) I have almost everything prepared for its arrival - new cables, power conditioner, headphones. Well, almost everything, I am still missing very important part - DAC. I still can't make a call on which one to get, too many solid DACs in ~1000€ category :frowning2:

Exciting! As for the DAC - having lots of options is a good thing, right? I keep going back to the Resonessence Concero with the Svetlana 2. Not that the Yulong DA8 or Matrix X-Sabre or Firestone Tobby sound bad.... but maybe I feel like I'm missing out by "only" using the single-ended outputs. With the Tobby that's a very real issue, but not with the other two. Still, it feels odd not to use them - like I'm not taking full advantage. Yet I don't feel the same way when using my Stax setup which doesn't have XLR either. What a weirdo I am...

Jun 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #148 of 152
More options I have the harder the decision making gets, when there is nothing to choose from (respectively only 1 option) it just cannot go wrong, nor right, it just goes :). I think I should go with something that offer the best future-proof concept - which at this point are X-Sabre and DA8. Most likely I will be temporarily moving to another city in around 6 months, so DA8 would be ultimate solution (with its headphone out). But if I move it would mean much better financial background and I could actually build new separate rig and leave the one I have now at home. Oh my, why do I have to overthink everything I do/going to do :D As I know myself I will go with X-Sabre at the end, I fell in love with it at the first sight and It seems I cannot go wrong with it anyway.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #149 of 152
7 hours auditioning the Svetlana with the Naim Dac V1, Benchmark Dac, W3000ANVs, HD700, HD800.

Impressions coming soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back