REVIEW: ALO Audio Amphora SS headphone amp
May 28, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #181 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by gp_hebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The critics were questionning the value of the amp considering the simplicity of the circuit which is a legit concern IMO.

So I have a question. I am currently reviewing the Blue Circle Audio "Hat Peed Thingee" headphone amp. It is built into PVC pipe, and the internals are 100% encased on silicon. None of the parts, or the circuit, will ever be visible to anyone, and I very highly doubt that BCA is going to reveal either.

The amp will sell for between $550 and $1,150 depending on some upgrade options.

My question is, will this amp, and its maker, be subject to the same criticism? In this case it is very clear than as little of the cost as possible was spent on aesthetic considerations, however, there is no way to judge the amp based on it's circuit or parts. So does it deserve the same criticism?

May 28, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #182 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So does it deserve the same criticism?

If it deserves criticism, it will get criticism. If it doesn't deserve cricicism, it won't get criticism. Sounds pretty logic.

Quote:

This product is a piece of art.

Putting "audio amplifier" and "art" in the same sentence sounds like audiophool marketing to me. Designing a headphone amp is hardly art on the same level as music, painting, litterature, theatre or dance. In most cases, it's basic applied science and there are very few headphone designers that actually innovate and explore new ideas. In my experience, most self-proclaimed "audio artists" are usually those who sell overpriced products.

May 28, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #183 of 239
Art follows form:

Nautilus_l2_w817_h328.jpg

May 28, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #185 of 239
Quote:

If it deserves criticism, it will get criticism. If it doesn't deserve cricicism, it won't get criticism. Sounds pretty logic.

That is not an answer to my question. You are not obligated to provide an answer, of course; but that is not one.

May 28, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #187 of 239
What about the Home - Synergistic Research stuff to judge if it is worth it? They take a regular orange Leviton receptacle that retails for about 35 bucks and cook it somehow and charge you about 100. You can pick apart any company to see if they are worth it or not. Everybody values everything different. To me if I don't know enough about a company it is my job to do the research on my own and not bully them to find out every stupid thing about my questions or concerns. Sometimes in the name of hobby sake some of us take it a little far. The general opinion on the Amphora that I have gathered up to me so far, it is the real deal.

May 28, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #188 of 239
Quote:

If I think it deserves criticism, it will get criticism. If I think it doesn't deserve cricicism, it won't get criticism from me.

FTFY.
atsmile.gif

May 29, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #189 of 239
Ignorance is bliss. If it is the best sounding amp and it cost 10000 and it is the size of a postage stamp, who cares. Arent we all in search of the best sounding setup that we are able to afford? Who cares what is in side, if it is the best sounding at the price range you can afford. Sometimes things cost more because of the great attributes that it posesses, not for the quality of parts. Do you think the R10 costs 4000-6000 worth of parts? Of course not. The combination of parts allows it to sound better than most other cans. Finding the correct combination of parts for good sound quality is the key to making your product speicial. Not the parts thenselves. If it costs 10 bucks in parts to make but outperforms everything around it why not charge more. Its fair. If you were able to make something with 10 bucks worth of parts that sounds good then I dought you would be sitting here complaining about it.

May 29, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #190 of 239
I can understand paying more for something because it sounds better. What I cannot understand is why a $1000 amp has absolutely no specs on the website such as the output of x gain/Vpp/Vrms/ Watts into xxx ohms or anything of the sort. I am not saying this a sub-par product, but I would expect something that cost $1000+ and being on a professional website to have some sort of specs. This is especially useful to someone like myself that is looking for a new amp to power an akg k1000. I realize that there are not many people that own k1000's but then again there are not many people that will pay over a grand for a headphone amp either.

May 29, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #191 of 239
I remember seeing the specs you mentioned somewhere on head-fi posted possibly by either Ken or Vinnie. Let me do some digging and I'll get back to this thread if I find them.

Edit: Just did a google search and I found it in this thread.

All the specs:

Specifications

• Input impedance – 20k
• Output impedance (preamp outputs) – less than 100 ohms
• Inputs - 2 sets
• Headphone outputs – 2 sets
• Preamp outputs – 1 set
• Gain – Switchable 0dB / 12dB
• Battery - 9V Li-Ion
• Play time between charges – greater than 24 hours
• Charger – Li-Ion auto-charger. Fully charges in less than 4 hours
• Charger input voltage – 100Vac – 240Vac, 50/60Hz
• Dimensions – approx. 7” wide x 5” deep x 3” tall
• Made in the USA

May 29, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #193 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyriel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but then again there are not many people that will pay over a grand for a headphone amp either.

Welcome to Head-Fi!

May 29, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #194 of 239
Right - there are plenty of people like that around here
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #195 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyriel0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I realize that there are not many people that own k1000's but then again there are not many people that will pay over a grand for a headphone amp either.

Are you sure?
tongue_smile.gif

1. Around 11.000 K1000 pairs were made. I am sure some have broken down during the years, but there are still thousands alive and kicking out there. Lots of them belonging to Head-Fi'ers.
2. Lots of people around here (this is Head-Fi) have spent and/or are willing to spend $1.000++ on headphone amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back