REVIEW: ALO Audio Amphora SS headphone amp
May 28, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #167 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How I understand Vinnies post here is that in the Isabella the Isabella headphone board don't provide gain, but just acts as a buffer. While the board provide gain in the Amphora and the upcoming "Isabellina HPA". Hence it acts differently depending on which unit its mounted in.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5693432-post24.html

Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Yes - krmathis is correct. For the Isabella tube preamp, we use the tubes for the voltage gain and the headphone board is a buffer. In the Amphora, we use the same board but configure it to provide the voltage gain as well...

Best regards,

Vinnie

May 28, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #168 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speculations are great! I speculate I have a corvette 6.2 liter 435 hp engine on my cavalier since they both use gasoline and four tires. Correct?

Hi Miguel,
Easy to stop the speculation. Just post a pic of the Chip. I've requested a pic from those that have it. For some reason they are afraid to post it. Why would that be?

May 28, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #169 of 239
Maybe they respect the builder. If you want to see the chip why not just buy one. Oh yeah, you might actually like it.

May 28, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #170 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Miguel,
Easy to stop the speculation. Just post a pic of the Chip. I've requested a pic from those that have it. For some reason they are afraid to post it. Why would that be?

Is it so unreasonable that they don't want to post the name or picture of the chip because they don't want anyone else to use it in an amp?

I received today a portable amp from China that I was asked to review. The degree to which this amp looks like an RSA P-51 is flat-out disturbing.

If I were an amp maker, I'd guard my designs like a hawk too - I believe in this even more strongly now having seen this.

May 28, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #171 of 239
Quote:

I've requested a pic from those that have it. For some reason they are afraid to post it. Why would that be?

The part numbers on the chips are removed, so emailing owners for pics is not going to be all that helpful. As I mentioned before - YES, we are "hiding" something and don't want it being copied. For those who do not agree with this - please do not buy it and move on.

Please - Skylab's review has already been hijacked and we have been trying to get it back on topic. Enough is enough with this

Thank you for your understanding,

Vinnie

May 28, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #172 of 239
Quote:

The part numbers on the chips are removed, so emailing owners for pics is not going to be all that helpful. As I mentioned before - YES, we are "hiding" something and don't want it being copied. For those who do not agree with this - please do not buy it and move on.

Please - Skylab's review has already been hijacked and we have been trying to get it back on topic. Enough is enough with this

Thank you for your understanding

Amen. Isnt there a special edition amphoria coming out soon?

May 28, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #173 of 239
To some it is just a hobby. To some it is a way to make a living. Please have a little professional courtesy! If you don't want to purchase an amp.. Don't! coughlesgartencough. You are not doing anyone any favors. Just drop it!

May 28, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #174 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To some it is just a hobby. To some it is a way to make a living. Please have a little professional courtesy! If you don't want to purchase an amp.. Don't! coughlesgartencough. You are not doing anyone any favors. Just drop it!

X2

I must say that I'm amazed by human's insistence to ask others to reveal something that need not to be revealed. If you want the pic, buy one and take one pic or the number you want.

I come here to find people's impressions on the audio equipment. If you want to discuss the circuitry, why not find a forum for electronic engineering. If you want to talk about the price, why not go to a forum for sales and marketing? Finally, if you want to discover the secret of the chip, you may use reverse engineering and go the corresponding forum as well.

M$ does not reveal the source codes of the Windows. LV charges much much more than the cost of the raw materials or the manufacturing cost. The best objection is NOT to buy things from them, right!?

I (or is it only me) do not want to see/find this thread hijacked.

May 28, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #175 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I come here to find people's impressions on the audio equipment. If you want to discuss the circuitry, why not find a forum for electronic engineering. If you want to talk about the price, why not go to a forum for sales and marketing? Finally, if you want to discover the secret of the chip, you may use reverse engineering and go the corresponding forum as well.

Is Head-fi a hobbyist forum or just a marketing space for small audio companies? Last time I checked, discussing electronics and value/price is a big part of the hobby and there's a direct relation between the design of an amp and how it sounds. If all you care about is hype, marketing and so-called reviews, there's the sponsored threads for that and the Stereophile mag.

May 28, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #176 of 239
I agree that discussing value is absolutely relevant on head-fi, and in reviews. And I aslo agree there is a relation between the design of an amp and how it sounds, although this is sometimes less obvious than some people think.

But NONE of that is a justification for requiring a manufacturer to reveal the details of their design. Perhaps you did not mean for it to be, and if not, great.

The fact is there IS NO justification for requiring a manufacturer to reveal their design. Just as Vinnie said, if that is bothersome, don't buy their products, and move on.

There is also of course no obligation that anyone read my reviews if they do not find them helpful. My reviews (including this one) almost always comment about price and value, but as it relates to sound quality, not part choice or parts count.

May 28, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #177 of 239
The real problem is that when a noted producer of well liked products like Dan Lavry and Vinnie choose to protect their intellectual property people like to smear them big time and some go to extreme length to do so. So don't be surprise to see this happening to Vinnie as it has to Mr. Lavry. Of course property rights is becoming an archaic ideal here in the USSA.

May 28, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #178 of 239
I thought I'd chime in and express my support for this review which I thought was eloquent and informative.

Trade secrets are kept across the industrial spectrum and are essential to the existence of many prominent and trusted brands. I don't follow the line of thought that leads to the conclusion that consumer confidence should only be granted on the condition of a company's total disclosure about everything. You, of course, have the right to reject this practice regardless of what I or anyone else believes and vote, with your dollars, for something else.

However, you don't have the right to use your shopping beliefs and self righteous "expertise" to construct a flimsy soapbox to critically impose weak conjectures. It's been noted many times now but it's worth stating again and again until you get it: there is no necessary correlation between sound quality and the density of components. If this and your aversion to marginal secrecy are the only legs you stand upon, then you obviously don't have enough to arrogantly issue broad proclamations about a product with which your experience extends from the distance of your computer monitor to your eyeballs, much less attack the character of a prolific reviewer outright.

May 28, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #179 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadrangulum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been noted many times now but it's worth stating again and again until you get it: there is no necessary correlation between sound quality and the density of components.

Nobody tried to link density of components and sound quality in this thread, so I'm not sure why you're bringing that up. The critics were questionning the value of the amp considering the simplicity of the circuit which is a legit concern IMO.

May 28, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #180 of 239
You still don't get it, do you? This product is a piece of art. And with art, we care more about whether it is enjoyable or not, in this case the sound quality. And with art, we don't care about what rock they use to carve the sculpture or what materials they use as colour to paint the painting, and in this case circuit and components. Give you the same components and you may copy the design, but you can never build it from scratch and make it sound as good if Vinnie and Ken hadn't created it in the first place. Well that's art, and we hate fakes and copies of art. And one simple fact is one should never price a piece art by its cost of raw materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back