REVIEW: ALO Audio Amphora SS headphone amp
May 9, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #136 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a CMOY. It can't not be a CMOY. Here's how I arrive at that analysis...

It's an amp circuit, if you only use those few parts, there aren't very many ways with so few parts to make an amp circuit. IT'S A CMOY

Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten
a CMOY with Jewelry hung on it....we KNOW it's a CMOY.

If ALO wants to sell a $1000 CMOY, that's their business

Quote:

I don't have to spend $1000 on a CMOY to know it's .....

Quote:

I think it is a State of the Art CMOY. You wanted it straight and clear, Howz that?

Quote:

Come on, you're getting a $30 amp here. The Board is small and has nothing on it, that's the heart of this $1000 product.

Quote:

Here's the DNA thread at work here:
CMOY >>>> RA-1 >>>> Amphora
$30 >>>> $500 >>>> $1000 >>>> ????

les_garten, so far, all of these statements that you are making, are a matter of opinion. And yet, you are posting as if these are statements of fact.

If you have proof of these statements, then please bring them to the surface, otherwise please stop slandering the manufacturers with your aggressive accusations. If you do not have definitive proof, then, at least post a disclaimer that these are your opinions and not pure fact or else I will be forced to prune this thread down to just a review, and some members follow up "opinions".

It seems that you have an agenda here, and I believe that anyone reading has gotten your point, multiple times.

May 9, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #137 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
les_garten, so far, all of these statements that you are making, are a matter of opinion. And yet, you are posting as if these are statements of fact.

If you have proof of these statements, then please bring them to the surface, otherwise please stop slandering the manufacturers with your aggressive accusations. If you do not have definitive proof, then, at least post a disclaimer that these are your opinions and not pure fact or else I will be forced to prune this thread down to just a review, and some members follow up "opinions".

It seems that you have an agenda here, and I believe that anyone reading has gotten your point, multiple times.

Ok, Yes these are My opinions that are backed up by someone who has heard and examined the Product in this Post. Click Here

Perhaps you missed it.

May 10, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #138 of 239
I didn't miss anything.

If you don't feel a product is worth the asking price, then don't buy it.

Your crusade is getting old and is making multiple people uncomfortable. Please stop crapping on the thread.

You have made your point, loud and clear.

Post back when you have definitive proof. I am not saying that the board is or is not a certain design, I have no idea. But everyone knows what your beliefs are at this point, and you have derailed the thread more than enough.

Perhaps when you have an item on the FS forum, we can all chime in and tell all of your potential buyers why you are charging too much!

May 10, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #139 of 239
I've opened up my Amphora to change the battery and this may have escaped some people but there's a whole bunch of audio stuff underneath the board not visible in pictures. I have no understanding of engineering so I couldn't tell you what it is but I do think people should look before they leap else they may land with their foot in their mouth.

Anyhoo, the Amphora is beginning to sound rather nice indeed even though it's only had about 20 -30 hours burning in time.

May 10, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #142 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've opened up my Amphora to change the battery and this may have escaped some people but there's a whole bunch of audio stuff underneath the board not visible in pictures.

The one I looked at there is no way you could see the bottom of the board so I am not sure how you saw the "stuff". Also if there was extra components it would all have to be SMD. I did actually stick my finder under the board but didn't feel anything extra, but that doesn't mean there isn't.

May 10, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #143 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've opened up my Amphora to change the battery and this may have escaped some people but there's a whole bunch of audio stuff underneath the board not visible in pictures. I have no understanding of engineering so I couldn't tell you what it is but I do think people should look before they leap else they may land with their foot in their mouth.

Anyhoo, the Amphora is beginning to sound rather nice indeed even though it's only had about 20 -30 hours burning in time.

I'm confused, doesn't the battery re-charge with an external adapter(wall-wart)? Did something happen to the battery?

May 10, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #144 of 239
Some people like to "battery roll". I'm not sure if that is what Gazza was doing, but it might have been.

May 10, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #145 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people like to "battery roll". I'm not sure if that is what Gazza was doing, but it might have been.

I wouldn't be opening this enclosure for "battery rolling" purposes. It appears the manufacturer is very strict about opening the enclosure, it should only be done for a necessary battery replacement...

Opening the enclosure for any reason other than replacing the battery (as outlined in the included owner's manual) will VOID your warranty. ---> ALO Audio

May 10, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #146 of 239
All,

First and foremost, I want to thank Skylab for his interest in reviewing the Amphora and for all his time and effort in conducting his review. Skylab emailed me a while back expressing interest in the Amphora (at the time, Ken of ALO Audio and I were posting on the ALO Forum about the Amphora before we even reached production phase). Knowing that Skylab has written numerous reviews of headphone amps of all kinds (including our SLA battery powered RWA Isabella tube preamp/dac with headphone output stage), it is very clear that he has a lot of experience with the sound of so many different headphone amps in a wide price range, and his feedback is both valuable and much appreciated! I also highly respect his professionalism.

Regarding design...

Les_garten, the headphone board design is NOT a CMOY! Please at least go listen to a CMOY design (the most "pimped out" one you can find) and then listen to the Amphora and let us know how they compare. Just because I do not wish to disclose the design and just because it is not a very large or complicated circuit does not make it a CMOY, so we'd appreciate it if you would quit saying it is.

Not disclosing the design or specific parts used does not make me, Ray Samuels, or any other manufacturer in the audio business who wishes to protect their design a "shady" company. Anyone who has done business with either ALO or RWA knows about how serious we take customer service and how much we appreciate the business and their enthusiasm for our products. Yes, you can say we are "hiding something" because we do not wish for the design to be copied - simple as that. Hopefully most people can respect that. For those who cannot, you can voice your opinion and then PLEASE MOVE ON...

Regarding pricing...

The price of the Amphora was not set based on the costs of the parts and labor alone. It was set to be very competitive with other headphone amplifiers in the same price range and even beyond. The Amphora has a specific sound signature, features, and appearance and all this certainly came into play when deciding on the final price. If you do not believe the total package is worth the price, you have the right to say so and not buy it. Simple as that, but do so and then PLEASE MOVE ON. But by continuing to post negative comments about it and crapping on an otherwise informative thread, making personal attacks, and statements about the design that are false, I can see why some think you have an agenda or a big battle axe to grind... especially when you haven't even listened to an Amphora!

Ken and I are very proud of the Amphora and there are a couple of threads on the ALO forum that contain much appreciated feedback - specifically on the SOUND:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f70/am...ssions-415737/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f70/al...photos-409801/

It looks like our customers are proud of the Amphora as well, and their business and feedback is much appreciated! They are much more concerned about the sound than the size of the circuit board, specs, etc. If the sound did not meet or exceed expectations, it wouldn't be selling so well and I don't think you would be seeing all the positive feedback from our customers, and Skylab who reviewed it (post # 1 of this long thread).

Regarding battery life...

No matter if you are running 24-ohm headphones or 600 ohm headphones, you should be able to get approx. 24-hours of play time (or more) on a full charge.

Ok - it's geting late. I think that's it for now. Hopefully we'll see this thread get back on track. Thank you for all your time, patience and understanding. And a special thanks for the interest, enthusiasm, feedback and support of all our customers! (and again to Skylab for his review of the Amphora!).

Best regards,

Vinnie

May 10, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #148 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're assuming that we're working under the field of real numbers and a sequence exists which is a big no no in proofs. What if I say that we're working under a field of two elements?

I would say per your example: 1 + 2 = 3 infers the field is three at a minimum. I was speaking of N+ and not venturing into abstract algebra and you obviously know that.

May 10, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #149 of 239
Amen! "Someone" obviously need to take a handful of Chill pills, then move on...

May 10, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #150 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amen! "Someone" obviously need to take a handful of Chill pills, then move on...

\

I don't think this review/thread has been about "chill pills". As I stated in my firsrt post here, I'm a hobbyist trying to make an educated purchase deision on an $1,000 amp....

I seriously appreciate all of the valuable points addressed in this thread...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back