REVIEW: ALO Audio Amphora SS headphone amp
Nov 19, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #226 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Soundlogic,

The SE version has a more overall openness and air to it. The wire used in the Amphora is a 22awg OCC solid core copper in a PVC jacket, the SE is a 22awg solid silver that is pushed through a cotton tube. Its exact same stuff I use to make (made) my ALO Cotton Docks and Cotton mini to minis with. There are a few members who have the SE but I do not think we have had any direct comparisons via the public yet.

Hope this helps.

Ken

I'm not qualified to do a formal comparison between the two, but I lived with my dad's non-SE Amphora for three weeks before handing it over to him as a present. I've now lived with my Amphora SE for over a month. The good news is that I listened to both of them primarly through GS1000i 'phones so the source and 'phones were consistent.

Forgive me having to go from memory (never a good thing) on the non-SE, but I agree with Ken's feeling that the SE has a bit more air. The "ah-ha" moment for me came when listening to a well-recorded classical guitar cd. I got a bit more finger-plucking-string and fingers-sliding-over-frets feel with the SE...not in any kind of spotlit or hyper-detail sense. It contributed to the overall ease of the presentation and aided in the act of suspending disbelief. This is WELL up the diminishing returns curve, but audible. I loved my dad's Amphora so much it was an easy decision for me to talk to Ken about the SE.

I've been made fun of earlier in this thread for commenting on how beautiful the amp is but I could care less - this is a beautiful piece of audio art. My SE case started out as a solid piece of claro walnut and I think the end result is stunning. Many thanks to Ken and Vinnie for a life-enriching product.

IMG_0246.jpg

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #227 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not qualified to do a formal comparison between the two, but I lived with my dad's non-SE Amphora for three weeks before handing it over to him as a present. I've now lived with my Amphora SE for over a month. The good news is that I listened to both of them primarly through GS1000i 'phones so the source and 'phones were consistent.

Forgive me having to go from memory (never a good thing) on the non-SE, but I agree with Ken's feeling that the SE has a bit more air. The "ah-ha" moment for me came when listening to a well-recorded classical guitar cd. I got a bit more finger-plucking-string and fingers-sliding-over-frets feel with the SE...not in any kind of spotlit or hyper-detail sense. It contributed to the overall ease of the presentation and aided in the act of suspending disbelief. This is WELL up the diminishing returns curve, but audible. I loved my dad's Amphora so much it was an easy decision for me to talk to Ken about the SE.

I've been made fun of earlier in this thread for commenting on how beautiful the amp is but I could care less - this is a beautiful piece of audio art. My SE case started out as a solid piece of claro walnut and I think the end result is stunning. Many thanks to Ken and Vinnie for a life-enriching product.

IMG_0246.jpg

Hah! I have the same audio rack as you, but in a more beautiful rosewood color.
tongue.gif

Unfortunately my 000/100 Amphora is not an SE and is made from two pieces of wood. But it's still pretty.
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #228 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hah! I have the same audio rack as you, but in a more beautiful rosewood color.
tongue.gif

Unfortunately my 000/100 Amphora is not an SE and is made from two pieces of wood. But it's still pretty.
biggrin.gif

Well, you clearly spent too much money on your rack if you opted for the veneer...if more people around here realized that sight is the most useless sense we have the world would be a better place
tongue.gif

Maybe those that feel I care too much about appearances should spend a few minutes in my cave-like, concrete, unfinished basement with bare lightbulbs and exposed plumbing
beerchug.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #229 of 239
Quote:

Well, you clearly spent too much money on your rack if you opted for the veneer...if more people around here realized that sight is the most useless sense we have the world would be a better place
tongue.gif

Maybe those that feel I care too much about appearances should spend a few minutes in my cave-like, concrete, unfinished basement with bare lightbulbs and exposed plumbing
beerchug.gif

Was $250 too much for the 28" Salamander with 4 shelves?
tongue.gif

Enjoy the Amphora!

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #230 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was $250 too much for the 28" Salamander with 4 shelves?
tongue.gif

Enjoy the Amphora!

Nope, that was a good deal! I got the black 5-shelf when it was on the $199 special running not too long ago. I do lust after the walnut...man, I must really have a think for walnut
tongue.gif

I'm planning to bring my SE to CanJam next year so we should set up a SE/non-SE comparison...

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #231 of 239
Quote:

Nope, that was a good deal! I got the black 5-shelf when it was on the $199 special running not too long ago. I do lust after the walnut...man, I must really have a think for walnut
tongue.gif

I'm planning to bring my SE to CanJam next year so we should set up a SE/non-SE comparison...

I don't think I will be able to go to Chicago, but I will be at CanJam @ RMAF every year in October.

Nov 20, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #232 of 239
Thanks Greg. I did not try the Amphora as a pre-amp, though.

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #233 of 239
im really very curious how the amphora compares to the headroom desktop amp/dac and the lisa III, considering their all around the same price, it would be beneficial to someone like myself who is on the verge of upgrading from my audio techncica ha25 d amp/dac and predator.

Nov 21, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #234 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im really very curious how the amphora compares to the headroom desktop amp/dac and the lisa III, considering their all around the same price, it would be beneficial to someone like myself who is on the verge of upgrading from my audio techncica ha25 d amp/dac and predator.

the predator and lisaIII are fantastic units that i have spent considerable time with,however the alo amphora to me is much better and is in a different league of amps
amphora-fully discrete circuit,goldpoint stepped attenuator,alo wiring = blacker than black background,richer tonality,wider soundstage and most "natural sounding realistic and beleavable"
i love my amphora,it is really special!!!

Nov 23, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #235 of 239
@techenvy... when truly comparing these amps that you mention, I don't know about the Lisa, but the headroom has a dac built in with multiple digital inputs. I have a 2007 Headroom Desktop with the dedicated P/S and I have the Amphora.
Truly apples and oranges. The amp in the Amphora sings out beautifully and has a wonderful presentation. The Headroom is a bit sterile, but has lot's of balls.
If you need any of the DACs, then it's a no-brainer. If you don't need a built in DAC and want an amp that gives you the type of music that never wants you to get up and leave the house, then the Amphora is for you.
I use my Desktop w/External power supply hooked up to my iMac and I use VLC as a media player that plays all of my flac songs on my Apple through headphones while surfing.
However, when I am lying in bed, or sitting in my chair outside I use my iMod hooked up to my Amphora and some great IEMS.

Oct 5, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #239 of 239
@Skylab

Sorry for the necro... What are your thoughts on using this with the Sennheiser HD650s?

Enough juice, or do I need tubes?

See this from 2008

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has no problem driving Sennheiser HD650 ?

My Amphora has no problem driving my HD600, and in brief comparisons my single ended Amphora sounds about as good as my balanced my Single Power Square Wave XL with the HD600. If the Square Wave wasn't better at driving my K1000 I'd be selling it sooner than later. Probably will sell the Sq Wave once my EC ZDT arrives...

The Amphora is also the BEST amp I have EVER heard driving the Ultrasone Edition 9. The combination was perfect, and took away a good bit of the boomy dark closed feeling you might get with the Ed 9 on the wrong amp. If I hadn't already committed to selling the Edition 9 to pay for my HD800 and ZDT before hearing them on the Amphora, I would maybe have kept them and sold something else (like the Sq Wave).

From what I've read I'm guessing the HD-650 are a little harder to drive than the HD-600, but this might still be a safe bet based on my HD-600 comments. The Single Power mentioned above was sold long ago but the Amphora is still here, and I'm more likely to sell my maxed Woo WA6 than the Amphora - similar sound and power, but lighter and transportable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back