REVIEW: ACS custom tips + SENNHEISER IE8
Nov 6, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #331 of 369
At last my full moulds have arrived snuggled inside a very useful carry pouch. Monika the audiologist did a great job with the impressions and the fit is perfect providing a total seal.

But how to insert them? After some trial and error, inserting, pushing, twisting, I finally found the solution. Namely, lightly smear the tip of the mould with the supplied tube of Protagel Plus and they slip effortlessly into place. Once in situ, the comfort sensation is much preferable to the ‘wedged-in’ feel of the universal tips.

FWIW, the IE8s protrude very slightly more.

How is the sound affected? If you are experienced with the tip selection progress, i.e. from standard tips to Sony Hybrids to Hybrid/double flange sandwich, then this is the next and probably final step in that progression. The sound presentation becomes tight, cohesive and focussed. The bass becomes more extended, deeper and defined.

I really can’t say whether the highs are more or less sparkly, or the mids more or less recessed. That all sounds pretty much as before.

Perhaps this observation will help clarify the effect. I had been trying to evaluate the sound quality of my new iPhone 3GS (ALAC) against my iRiver/iBasso combo (FLAC) and was finding it confusing and difficult to come to a conclusion. Then I did the same comparisons with the ACS moulds and, while both players sounded even better, there was no doubt as to the superiority of the iRiver/iBasso. As a side note the 3GS acquits itself very well.

Can this be considered a worthwhile upgrade and is the trouble and expense justified? In my experience, absolutely!

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #332 of 369
If only i had the money...

Great tips dude. I really want some for my IE8 my right ear canal just doesn't agree with 'any' headphone for some reason! It also hurts after about 30 minutes unless i don't push it all the way in but still get on my nerves. I'm hoping if i got these then it would be perfect, isolation, quality and hurt free "thumbs up".

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #333 of 369
I find them very comfortable over long periods, they have been in my ears for up to 6 hours at a stretch with no issues. Also they provide a perfect seal and, with that, the best isolation it is possible to achieve with the IE8s.

On the cost side, a plus point is that the moulds are removable and can be used with other IEMs. For example my RE0s work fine in them. That versatility might help ease the sting a bit.

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #337 of 369
Hi All,

Just my 2 pennies worth. I had some custom sleeves made by ACS for my Shure 530s and they are great too. Very, very comfortable and i can easily wear them for up to 8hrs a day, most days. The one thing I would say is, make sure you get some good impressions taken. I had to have my left ear customs made 3 times until they fit 100% perfectly, I can only assume that the left ear impression was never taken properly - on reflection I do remember the audiologist insisting on chatting to me while the gel was setting.

On the plus side, ACS were very good about it and I definitely felt that customer service comes first with them.
The third time, I had the impressions taken by the MDs wife (I was being fitted for a pair of ACS T1s). That time it felt like a great deal more gel was injected into my ear and I also let my jaw go slack(not open mouthed, but back teeth not touching) and made sure I did not move my jaw at all for a few mins while the gel set.

Both the Shure530 sleeves and my new T1s fit perfectly and I can wear them all day....although the Shures have been consigned to the desk draw now I have my T1s.
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 7, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #338 of 369

Quote:
Hi All,

Just my 2 pennies worth. I had some custom sleeves made by ACS for my Shure 530s and they are great too. Very, very comfortable and i can easily wear them for up to 8hrs a day, most days. The one thing I would say is, make sure you get some good impressions taken. I had to have my left ear customs made 3 times until they fit 100% perfectly, I can only assume that the left ear impression was never taken properly - on reflection I do remember the audiologist insisting on chatting to me while the gel was setting.

On the plus side, ACS were very good about it and I definitely felt that customer service comes first with them.
The third time, I had the impressions taken by the MDs wife (I was being fitted for a pair of ACS T1s). That time it felt like a great deal more gel was injected into my ear and I also let my jaw go slack(not open mouthed, but back teeth not touching) and made sure I did not move my jaw at all for a few mins while the gel set.

Both the Shure530 sleeves and my new T1s fit perfectly and I can wear them all day....although the Shures have been consigned to the desk draw now I have my T1s.
ksc75smile.gif

lol I'm really scared of the fit issues now :frowning2:

Jul 1, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #339 of 369
I've just received my custom tips from acs today but I have one question. Is the IE8 supposed to be pushed into the mold as far in as the OP's picture shows? It does seem that to do that it will take a fair amount of pushing and it also doesn't seem to fit. To just barely fit it in however makes entry and exit to the ear canal rather awkward and I then have to become rather cautious over how I put them in or take them out.

I'm still fiddling around so I won't say much just yet

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #340 of 369
I had actually forgotten that it took quite a while for me to get the hang of the custom sleeves too.
I'm not sure which pictures you are referring to, but with my Shures they seem to be cradled by the sleeves. I push the sound tube of the Shures into the sleeves as far as they will go and the fat body of the IEM will rest into the concave part of the sleeve.

It took me a long time to get the hang of putting them in and taking them out and learning to make sure that the part that went into my ear canal was the right way up, especially my left ear. I found that it also helped initially, if I moistened the sleeves slightly with a bit of spit\water\cream first. Also that putting them against my ear canal opening at very slight angle and twisting as I pushed them in worked well for me.
To remove them, rather than pulling on the Shure speakers, I found the easiest way to get them out, was to put the tip of my finger against my "navicular fossa" (http://www.infovisual.info/03/048_en.html) and gentle force my finger against my ear while sliding down toward the ear canal and this would slide the sound tube out of my ear.
Over time it became much easier to get them in and out - whether this was purely down to getting the hang of it or whether they also "break down" slightly and soften, I dont know. I would just say to persevere and they will become easier to use and you be pleasantly surprised how comfortable they are all day.

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #342 of 369
A review that I plugged from my own IE8 review.

Final update (ACS custom tips)
I went to the local audiologist to get my impressions done and then sent it to ACS who took approximately 10 days to finish production of the tips. And then it took another 3 - 5 days to reach me, but it was plenty quick. Their customer service was brilliant and I was always in the know of what was going on even though I was very eager to receive the tips.

Initially, it was a tad awkward as I wasn't sure how much pressure to put to push the tips into the IE8, but once I got it right, getting them in place to my ear fit like a synch. The left side fit perfectly and ever so snugly. The right side still doesn't feel perfect and maybe I'm overly conscious, but it is almost there and I'm very happy with them.

Here are some pictures:

Sound quality wise, at first it felt almost like listening using tip 2, but with the added isolation, but now that I'm used to it,or just fitting it in right, I'm enjoying the whole experience immensely. I now have the bass set at minimum. At maximum bass levels, it works for some songs, but I just can't justify having to have to switch between max and minimum ever so often.

Isolation wise, these are absolutely perfect. Sure it means I have to be more careful on the road to avoid being a road hazard, and it also means that almost no one will be able to catch my attention with the exception of excessive waving and the works, but I'll live with that.

With the tips on and without music, I can still hear things around me, but when I talk, there is no longer an echo unlike using stock tips; and I like this new phenomenon much better. It saves me having to plug the tips in and out and I just turn down the music instead. Honestly, they fit like a glove, ever so nicely and I could have these in my ears forever and ever. Previously with the stock tips, I'd start feeling them after a couple of hours, now? Never.

With the tips and music on, with the added benefit of lowering my normal volume level down a notch or two and it even sounds bearable listening to my music at very low levels just for background music and to still hear a little of what's going on outside. It's unlike having stock tips and low volumes where you just don't have the effect of background music. It's just noise from outside pervading the ear lobes. But really, now, everything feels more surreal. Like I'm in the bus, with the music on and everything just floats by literally like in the movies without outside noise. It's fantabulistic!

Cost wise, they are a fair bit and with the exchange rate, it really costs all up, to half the price of the IE8s and thereabouts. Is it worth it? That's subjective. I'm happy with them and I think that's what matters though it also meant that I'm flat broke to some degree. But if I had to do full customs, I have the added benefit of having my molds being on file and with them already so that saves some extra work and I would have no qualms about going back to them if I ever got in the green.

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #343 of 369
Did you give any specific instructions to ACS? Those look a bit less bulky than the full body molds and the IE8s don't seem to be protruding as much.

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #344 of 369

Quote:
Did you give any specific instructions to ACS? Those look a bit less bulky than the full body molds and the IE8s don't seem to be protruding as much.

I did as a precaution tell them it was to be over the ear and they said that was their default for the IE8s. The only other instructions you will need to give them is choice of shipping and colour of the customs tips. I don't remember instructing them with anything else.

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #345 of 369

Quote:
I did as a precaution tell them it was to be over the ear and they said that was their default for the IE8s. The only other instructions you will need to give them is choice of shipping and colour of the customs tips. I don't remember instructing them with anything else.

Thanks, I'll do the same then. I guess they've learnt to do it better over time.
Audiologist coming over tonight to take impressions. Anyone tried Monika in London?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back