REVIEW: ACS custom tips + SENNHEISER IE8
Mar 31, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #31 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, how do you remove the foam out of the Senn case? I tried tugging on it, but it didn't want to budge, and I don't want it tearing and leaving chunks behind. I'd like to preserve the foam as best as possible once it's out.

Just pull. Try pulling different sections until it all comes out. The foam is pretty dense, so it may be hard to rip it. Don't use your nails and use your fingertips.

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #32 of 369
Cool thanks. I'm going to have to look into these.

It would be great if they could make them in translucent smoked grey, to try to match the cable housings where they attach into the earphone body. That would be so awesome looking. I'll also look into the Null Audio cable once that comes out- I love that these are so customizable. I bet with the Null cables, and the custom ACS tips, that this will be an even bigger winning IEM.

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #33 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool thanks. I'm going to have to look into these.

It would be great if they could make them in translucent smoked grey, to try to match the cable housings where they attach into the earphone body. That would be so awesome looking. I'll also look into the Null Audio cable once that comes out- I love that these are so customizable. I bet with the Null cables, and the custom ACS tips, that this will be an even bigger winning IEM.

First, I would say they are quite hard to install and remove. But I don't think you want to take it off afterall. Just try not to break
the nozzle now.

Hah. hey I got the null audio and ACS custom tips idea before you. nah. Just
joking. We will have to see how much the cable cost. Cause this semi-custom is getting expensive.

for the colour, try transparent black. Im sure its looking nice.

For my understanding Null Audio cables are silver. They should bring out
the treble and refines the bass. keep the smooth mids please.

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #34 of 369
Of course the BIGGEST question is how these tips make IE8 compare with W3, Entire Shure lineup and Etys in terms of isolation... I am currently waiting for W3s to arrive, and THE ONLY reason I chose them above IE8 was isolation. You just cant beat proper IEMs for blanking city noise, engine noise, shouting, crying babies and replacing all that with heavenly quality music... Without comparable isolation IE8 are simply glorified ear buds
smily_headphones1.gif
etysmile.gif

EDIT: Of course even if we take one "proper" IEM (Lets say Shure E4) it still has variable isolation properties dependent on a sleeve used. Foam provides best isolation, Triflanges a step down from that, and soft rubber sleeve - another step down form triflange level. So at which level does IE8+ACS directly correspond? (If its anything less then "shure+triflange level" then I have peace of mind regarding my W3 decision
wink.gif
)

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #35 of 369
Yes. Your concern I can understand. Cause I have you question before I got these. I was a big fan of bi-flanges and used to senns. bi-flange + upsidedown. I had a chance to compare them to W3(with silicon tips) and would say isolation on par/above that. But now I got customs vs senns. bi-flange. which isolation is much improved by customs. I was amazed how much details you still get from a subway ride. I have Shures but I cant recall the isolation.

One reason is the design of customs. If you havent realise,our ear canal opening has many turns and its much more like a oval than circular like the universal tip. When inserted, universal tips are forced into a oval shape which no all area contact the ear cannal surface. Also the tip material and thickness comes into account. Tri/Bi-flanges helps a bit, some case Tri-flange will change the sound much. While customs have all custom made tip surface which contacts with you ear cannal and seals. Also how thick the tip is, it's like a huge foam ear plug.

keep in mind, how comfortable customs are, which tri/bi-flanges eventually will hurt after a few hours. I worn customs 4 hours straight last night and they are as comfortable as first 15mins.

Apr 3, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #36 of 369
Thanks for that! It would be nice to see DIRECT comparisons though...
As for the curvature of the ear canal- it is definitely an important issue, but there are other factors no less important for isolation: eg porting in outer shells of IEMs (ie holes that let in outside air/sounds). IE8 as I understand are not completely closed phones, or am I wrong?..

Apr 3, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #37 of 369
Problems with the IE8 is the fit, which nozzle won't insert deep enough depending on the person's ears. Well. i guess you're talking the tuning port(screw) for bass. I believe it is agruable if that has even a audiable of better isolation. But hey, trust the german engineers they know what they are doing.

But for max isolation, I would say customs are the way to go. Plastic shells of Universal might have slight disadvantage. But the ACS soft silicon does seal excellent. Something like ES3X(soft tip) or ACS customs (&tips) is suggested.

If anyone could send in tips or IEM. I would be happy to do a comparison.
But head-fiers in my area that I know all sold their W3s.

Apr 3, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #38 of 369
Cheers for that Ottoyu34!
I hope some other people here still have IE8 along with other established isolating IEMs. I dont need MAX isolation, just need something like "shure+triflanges level" as minimum. Anything less and either the music suffers, or I need to up the volume and my ears suffer. Just wondering if IE8 can give that minimum (or even go above it)...

I'm not doubting Senn's engineers, but I'm doubting that isolation was high on their agenda...

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #39 of 369
I believe they spend most of them time on R&D the dynamic drivers rather than fit.

Maybe I could give you some examples: back when I was using bi-flanges( I listen to music lowest volume possible for enjoyment), The isolation is great that I could use the lowest volume of 7/20 on zune for subway and home. it is because many of the noise is blocked. When I got these customs, there's a point could use 6/20 but the decrease in volume is just too big. A amp dial would help. I could listen to relatively slient music like acoustics guitar, jazz & classical is much more enjoyable. It won't matter if the beside you in the subway is talking.

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #44 of 369
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
otto what was the total turn around time from time you sent the impressions off to the time when the tips arrived at your door step?

It really depends on their workload.

It took them around 10days with both way shipping of 7 days and 3days to make.

But I was told they are more busy these weeks and my "re-make" pair will be ready as early as late next week.

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #45 of 369
Sunday 5 April 2009: I will be getting a new pair with remade to support Cable-over-ear and I will update the impressions. Also, after few
weeks of usage. I'm glad that the I can say I agrees with the review impressions.

Another thing I discovered that if I don't wedge the customs. There is much more soundstage that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back