Review: 1964EARS 1964-T
Feb 15, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #46 of 64
JH5 vs The 1964 triples , what should I go for? Has anybody compared them before? Oops. Wrong thread.

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #47 of 64
I think it is time for me to move up to custom buds, but I do have a dumb question.  Are these customs worn normally, or wrapped over the top of your ear?  I've never used a custom before and they dont offer any pictures of how the buds are actually worn haha.  Im not fond of over the top of your ear, I was hoping they would be worn normally :[

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #48 of 64
Since when is over the top not normal?

AFIK Livewires are the only ones that can be worn that way since they have a right angle MMCX connector (I think that's what it is from the pictures anyway) that attaches to the side of the earpiece.

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #49 of 64

Quote:

AFIK Livewires are the only ones that can be worn that way since they have a right angle MMCX connector (I think that's what it is from the pictures anyway) that attaches to the side of the earpiece.

There are a few others that can be worn with the cable going straight down, although LiveWires are certainly the most well known choice. The common theme is that they are usually lower end models with a non-detachable cable. The Kozee Infinity X1 seems to be this way, although I'll know more when mine arrive this week. The Westone CR1 definitely qualifies as well. There are probably several other models from various small/upstart companies in this same boat. LiveWires is the only one I can think of with a detachable cable that can be easily worn either way though. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #50 of 64
There is no way over the ear style is more common than normal hanging down style.  I guess that is why I said normal...because you don't normally see that style and its really only common with audiophiles and musicians on stage.  Definitely not "normal style"

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #51 of 64

Quote:
There is no way over the ear style is more common than normal hanging down style.  I guess that is why I said normal...because you don't normally see that style and its really only common with audiophiles and musicians on stage.  Definitely not "normal style"

I get what you are saying, and I think I understand the source of confusion: Over the ear style is only "normal" when considering custom IEMs, because 95% of them use that style. But in general, "normal" would be as you say, like an iBud. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #52 of 64

Quote:

I wouldn't say that now. I see people using over the ear with buds and such all the time on my commute.

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #55 of 64

Quote:
Excellent Review. That colouring is phenomenal, congratulations.

Thanks. And yeah, I think 1964 did a phenomenal job matching my desired color.

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #56 of 64
Note: Most of my listening was done using my trusty iBasso D10 and the FLAC copy of my audio library. For the record, the 1964-T is extremely revealing of poor source material and scales up very well with better sources. My Cowon J3 is quite sufficient, of course, but the 1964-T doesn’t quite compete with my full-size setup until I bring in the D10.

My impressions started their journey today! I will be using with a D10 also - have you experimented with op-amp combinations with the Ts? If so is there a stand-out to report back on?
Im still pretty much stuck fast on Rons topkit.

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #57 of 64

Quote:

My impressions started their journey today! I will be using with a D10 also - have you experimented with op-amp combinations with the Ts? If so is there a stand-out to report back on?
Im still pretty much stuck fast on Rons topkit.

I switch to stock opamps for all reviews and rarely bother messing with them at all these days since I go through so many IEMs.

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #58 of 64

Quote:
I switch to stock opamps for all reviews and rarely bother messing with them at all these days since I go through so many IEMs.

Man, I don't think many people realize how much listening pleasure you sacrifice doing what you do.  Quite a service Joker. 

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #59 of 64

Quote:
Man, I don't think many people realize how much listening pleasure you sacrifice doing what you do.  Quite a service Joker. 

Thanks. I've been finding that the only time I simply listen to music these days is in my car and just before falling asleep. My most-used earphone aside from review units is the H2O Audio Flex...

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #60 of 64
Looking to enter the custom territory for isolation and deeper fit etc. as currently I only use a pair of lowly SE215's. They do the trick, but overall lackluster with too much emphasis on bass for my taste. I'm looking for a more reference IEM that has a brighter sound, holding treble at the heart. I love that 1964 Ears does such neat things with the appearance of their IEM, and also have a neutral tone, but currently I'm looking at the 1964T, the CTM-200, and the Kozee X1 Executive. Out of these do you have a main preference? Or is one a better overall value, maybe one I haven't listed? Thanks anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back