REVIEW – Schiit Audio Valhalla Tube Headphone Amplifier
Jan 15, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #31 of 82

Quote:
Quote:
is this good with HD650 or the DT990 600 Ohm version??im planning to buy one..hehehe

It should be a good match with both.  It was really very impressive with the Beyer T1.

thx skymate...btw how to buy one of these?im in china, beijing they dont sell it locally here..where do u think i can order this crap hehehhe...

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #33 of 82

Quote:
Does The Valhalla doe well with both the 650' and the 701, 702?   Anyone using this combo?  what els does it work well with?   

Thanks

Have you read the contents of this thread?

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #36 of 82

Quote:

I'm curious how a sound can be bright and veiled. I would think those two would be opposite. But I don't review audio equipment and haven't developed my audiophile descriptors either. 
Quote:
It sounded bright and veiled.

My opinion is that "bright" would be peeks in the 2 kHz. to 8 kHz. range where "veiled" would be a lack of higher freq. above 13 kHz. or so.

Rob,

Thanks for the review, great job!
beerchug.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #37 of 82
 Skylab, in your listening to the Valhalla, I was wondering if you had developed some assessment of what the Schiit "signature sound" might be. Obviously, the designs of the Valhalla, the Asgard, the Lyr, are all quite different, but I was wondering if you, or others with the Valhalla might be reaching some consensus on that sound. Or put another way, what voice they are hearing as they design their product.

I have a Lyr on pre-order, and I plan to compare that to the Decware Taboo, when my LCD-2 cans arrive. I cannot recall if you made mention of pre-ordering a Lyr.

Cheers! Another great review, of course; thanks for all the illumination.

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #38 of 82
Since I have not heard the Asgard, it's very hard for me to comment on any sort of "house sound", if there is one.  I only know the sound of the Valhalla.  I am supposed to get a Lyr for review, however.

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #39 of 82
Wanted to bump this review

I'm considering doing a T1 + Valhalla combo, I just wanted to ask how it was on bass performance. I've heard the T1 through an SS amp, and while I love absolutely everything about it (tonality, soundstage, imaging, etc.) the only thing I felt it was missing was a slightly more powerful bass, for my tastes at least; I enjoy both classical and electronic music. You stated in the review that the Valhalla was a neutral amp, but still provided a good bass kick; would that be enough of a presence to give a theatrical feel to the music one listens to, or the movies one watches? I've also been considering the T1 + Matrix M-Stage for this purpose, as many seem to like that combination as well.

If not, would there be an amp you could think of that would be able to recommend?

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #40 of 82
I think the T1 and Valhalla are a very nice combo. But it does not BOOST bass. If you want more bass, you probably need an amp with a bass boost, or a different headphone.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #41 of 82

Quote:
I think the T1 and Valhalla are a very nice combo. But it does not BOOST bass. If you want more bass, you probably need an amp with a bass boost, or a different headphone.

Oh I wouldn't need a monstrous amount of bass, I'm actually getting a bit sick of having too much bass to be honest.

I'm just interested in bass being slightly more present, for example when playing a cinematic movie/single player game, or listening to electronic music; my thought was that a slightly warm amp would assist in this. I loved the T1 when I gave it a listen, it was like nothing else (and I had listened to the LCD2 & ED8, unimpressed how they compared). For all intents and purposes they sounded perfect, I just worry that in theatrical moments or energetic songs, they might  not be able to deliver.. though I wasn't able to test the headphones in such circumstances.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #42 of 82
Can't really help you there - bass is one of the most subjective aspects of sound I find. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #43 of 82
I have the sony sa5ks and am looking for a good amp to pair with them. i'm probably going to pick up the bifrost as my source. do you think these can give enough power to the 70 ohm power hungry sonys? i need to add a slight bit of warmth as well, they're a little too bright for me. what would be a better choice, valhalla or asgard?

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #44 of 82

Quote:
I have the sony sa5ks and am looking for a good amp to pair with them. i'm probably going to pick up the bifrost as my source. do you think these can give enough power to the 70 ohm power hungry sonys? i need to add a slight bit of warmth as well, they're a little too bright for me. what would be a better choice, valhalla or asgard?

Their specs read:

1. Driver Unit : 50mm Nano composite HD, dome type
  2. Frequency Response : 6Hz -100,000Hz
  3. Impedance : 70 ohms
  4. Sensitivity (db) : 102dB/mW

​So they're actually pretty sensitive.  The Asgard will work for sure.  The Sony's are relatively low impedance so theoretically the Asgard should be a better match for them.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to listen to them through the Valhalla, they might sound great!

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #45 of 82
Would the Valhalla be a good match for Ultrasone PRO2900s? From the review I think I would like the sound of it, but my headphones are only 40ohms. I read a few reviews on the Asgard and I don't think I would like it very much, I need something that won't slow down the PROs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back